News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Platinums

Started by Owen, October 01, 2023, 03:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen

Does anyone else think 6759- 7542 feel really slow, when onboard to make a journey the stop/ starting feels time consuming. 

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Owen on October 01, 2023, 03:17:16 PMDoes anyone else think 6759- 7542 feel really slow, when onboard to make a journey the stop/ starting feels time consuming.
No 

Jack

Quote from: Owen on October 01, 2023, 03:17:16 PMDoes anyone else think 6759- 7542 feel really slow, when onboard to make a journey the stop/ starting feels time consuming. 
6759-6892 don't, i've noticed it's the 68 plates and newer that can struggle for power more, hence why the drive puts his foot right on the ground to pull away.

Stu

I've never noticed to be honest.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Owen

Quote from: Jack on October 01, 2023, 04:34:04 PM6759-6892 don't, i've noticed it's the 68 plates and newer that can struggle for power more, hence why the drive puts his foot right on the ground to pull away.
I think you're onto something there, the newer ones sound more like toy trains to me when pulling off. The 2016 -17 batches have a little more oomph. But any stop/start platinum gets beat out of the water when compared to a enviro 400 MK1. Even some alx400 tridents, and wright Gemini... imo.

Ronnoc

Some earlier platinums (the ZF ones) are quite rapid, like 6711. Maybe the later platinums are slower in comparison to older buses because they are more limited.

Jack

Quote from: Ronnoc on October 01, 2023, 05:02:00 PMSome earlier platinums (the ZF ones) are quite rapid, like 6711. Maybe the later platinums are slower in comparison to older buses because they are more limited.
6711 is the best ZF MMC NX have with 6117 being close behind it, those things have power!

Owen

6711 feels like how a good trident does. Well a more modern version, Powerful and full vim
Some AG crimsons are beasts too.

different gearbox fitted to the latter batches voith instead of the zf  ecomatic 

spacecowboy150

Yeah cause the driver has to rev it a lot in 1st gear just to get it moving

Tony

Quote from: spacecowboy150 on October 04, 2023, 06:11:18 PMYeah cause the driver has to rev it a lot in 1st gear just to get it moving
You do realise they are automatic transmission?

The driver cannot 'rev it a lot in First gear'

some drivers rev it out then release the handbrake, i have noticed lately some platinums  starting to roll back annoying issue

Mike K

Quote from: 2900 on October 04, 2023, 08:59:10 PMsome drivers rev it out then release the handbrake, i have noticed lately some platinums  starting to roll back annoying issue
Is that to make it pull away quicker? I've noticed this sometimes on the 23/24 when trying to pull out in rush hour traffic at Five Ways.

Wumpty

Quote from: 2900 on October 04, 2023, 08:59:10 PMsome drivers rev it out then release the handbrake, i have noticed lately some platinums  starting to roll back annoying issue
It's a similar practice to driving a manual car - hold the car at or above the biting point then release the handbrake for a "racing start". 

Effective in practice, though won't do the gearbox much good in the longrun.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Quote from: Wumpty on October 05, 2023, 08:10:03 AMIt's a similar practice to driving a manual car - hold the car at or above the biting point then release the handbrake for a "racing start".

Effective in practice, though won't do the gearbox much good in the longrun.
yeah, good description that, get the engine into the power band as it were, i've never got into that practice even though it makes sense to at busy islands junctions etc, i just trudge along and wait for the blast of the horn and gestures  :smiley:
on hill starts need to start to remember which ones wont hold on pull away, i get caught out on small brook queensway 1st to city, that delay when pressing gas pedal and movement is an eternity, jokes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk