News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

X1 transfers to Coventry 22/10/2023

Started by JPC, September 16, 2023, 02:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellspurs

Quote from: Stu on April 06, 2024, 04:20:41 PMParkhill Terminus?

When part of the A45 was closed for a while, when they were building the bridge, both the X1 and 82 diverted via Pickford Grange Lane and Upper Eastern Green Lane to get to Parkhill Drive.

While it's possible to go that way, its still quicker to go direct via the A45 and then dip in/out of the Parkhill estate.

I suppose things might change in coming years as there is a new housing development underway there, hence the reason for the construction of the road bridge over the A45.
Pickford Grange Lane/Pickford Green Lane ain't a pleasant road to be driving up on a consistent basis. It isn't lit and has sharp bends on it, as well as a HGV ban. The residents wouldn't be too happy about it.

Quote from: Westy on April 06, 2024, 03:38:32 PMThink the last time by bus was in the 159 days, but did the 159 do the 'double back' as well?
There used to be a crossing point (for buses only) at the bottom end of Oak Lane. They closed it off in the late 1990s/early 2000s, when they built the bridge at Maxstoke Lane. You can still see where the bus used to go on the a45 now. There was another crossing point at the other end of Birmingham Road by Meriden Fencing Supplies. All evidence of that one seems to have gone, though.

Quote from: Rachvince53 on April 06, 2024, 05:23:33 PMI don't think the 159 served Parkhill and the old 900 certainly didn't serve Parkhill at all originally either. It was I think the changes to local services in that part of Coventry which led to the 900 serving Parkhill.
Parkhill Estate got served by the 900 when Coventry route 6 and 7 got merged together on the west side of Coventry. Early 2000s, I think (not 100% sure). For a time, they tried having the bus stop on the a45 roundabout (which meant Coventry bound buses had to do a full loop of the roundabout to serve the stop) but it got changed back up to the Parkhill terminus where it's been ever since.

Stu

Quote from: ellspurs on April 06, 2024, 05:38:55 PMPickford Grange Lane/Pickford Green Lane ain't a pleasant road to be driving up on a consistent basis. It isn't lit and has sharp bends on it, as well as a HGV ban. The residents wouldn't be too happy about it.
Yes, hence why that was only used as a temporary diversion route. 

The installation of the bridge is also seeing a new junction being built there on the A45.

So I assume at some point there will be a new road running through this development that buses could use instead of Pickford Grange Road.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

ellspurs

Hopefully, if the estate is big enough, it'll generate its own bus service that can also serve Parkhill Estate, and let the x1 bypass it. I know, wishful thinking.

Stu

Quote from: ellspurs on April 06, 2024, 05:58:39 PMHopefully, if the estate is big enough, it'll generate its own bus service that can also serve Parkhill Estate, and let the x1 bypass it. I know, wishful thinking.
I found this 'draft masterplan' for the site, didn't realise how big it was!

https://www.eastern-green.com/draft-masterplan

What I guess would have been ideal would have been if there was some connecting road on the eastern side through to Woodridge Avenue for an easier connection to the Parkhill Drive terminus stops.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk