News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Test of time

Started by Owen, September 01, 2023, 12:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen

I don't think this has been discussed. I thought I'd start a thread about trident vs gemini's as they're now being withdrawn and will all be replaced soon.

What's ur thoughts and opinions, what's the better of the two? Which has held up better?

Lukeee

My personal opinion is the Geminis are the better of the two. I've always thought the Geminis have aged better and styling wise if you gave one a return, it would look modern. 

I haven't drove either type of bus for a couple years now but I remember the Geminis being a nice drive (although I've never drove a NX trident so can't speak for them, have drove other operators tridents). 

Stu

Quote from: Lukeee on September 01, 2023, 08:59:49 AMMy personal opinion is the Geminis are the better of the two. I've always thought the Geminis have aged better and styling wise if you gave one a return, it would look modern.

I would agree with you there. From a passenger perspective, I'd much rather travel on a Gemini than a Trident ALX400. And I bet a freshly-repainted Gemini in the new grey livery would look really smart.

Travelling on a Trident nowadays makes me feel like I'm on a 'vintage' bus, the Geminis do feel more 'modern' and spacious inside.

But to be fair, both types are getting on a bit now, with grubby and worn interiors, and their rattles and noises. 

They may do a job and serve their purpose, but for new bus passengers, nothing puts people off more than being bumped around on battered old wrecks.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

j789

As said by others, the Gemini still has the modernish looks and most passengers probably wouldn't be able to tell from the outside which was older a Gemini or an E400 which are significantly younger in age.

The Trident however seems the more refined in my view and the natural successor of non- low floor deckers like the Metrobus and Olympian. Because of that, I do have a soft spot for them because of that 'traditional' body shape - no curves etc - basic but does the job like generations of deckers before it did.

I've driven plenty of both types over the years too and would say the Trident is better overall in smoothness and acceleration but both are nice types to drive. Will be sad when they have gone.

Owen

From a passenger POV I prefer the trident in looks, sound, acceleration. feels to me like a faster experience which maybe because of that acceleration/engine difference. I appreciate(d) the Volvo alx400, and geminis too. shame soon it will be all 3 machines that are gone... I dread the day everything is electric. 

My favourite of all Is the e400 trident which may be going just after these with the new 300 vehicles. 

Ronnoc

The ALX400 certainly bares stronger resemblence to the 90s style of buses but still has a more modern look and a modern interior. The Gemini has a more modern look as well as its interior in comparison; heck, its general design was used all the way until 2021. 

But I prefer the ALX400 to be honest because it's very lovely and classy. You can still get 19 year old ALX400s with rattle-free and well-kept interiors, mostly owing to the good maintenance by NX.

The Trident chassis sounds nicer but feels lower quality than the B7TL chassis. So the perfect match is a B7TL + ALX400.

Overall, both are brilliant buses and are retiring with grace.

Jack

The Geminis have aged a lot well than the Tridents, in general B7TL's have been a lot more mechanically sound than any Trident has. Hence why NX probably have been able to have a lot of them keep going than all the Tridents have failed. The Tridents nowadays are awful, YW's 46** seem to love breaking down. B7TL's have always been a good product, Gemini bodywork is amazing, even the Crimson 44** still look very neat!

Owen

We can all agree the Gemini body is very modern. Imo the better body compared to recent street decks. I'd like to of seen a grey one. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk