News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Diamond Bus Service Changes 15th April 2023

Started by the trainbasher, February 09, 2023, 08:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterPlan

Quote from: MW on March 11, 2023, 08:13:03 PMEligible for a BSOG as it's commercial and at a higher rate as they're LEB certified perhaps? Reduces the operating cost. Perhaps that's why.

I'm not familiar with those acronyms but yes I guessed it was something to do with them being more cost-effective and therefore attempting to make it more viable.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Rachvince53

Quote from: MasterPlan on March 12, 2023, 12:56:23 PMI'm not familiar with those acronyms but yes I guessed it was something to do with them being more cost-effective and therefore attempting to make it more viable.

BSOG - Bus Service Operator Grant, LEB - Low Emissions Bus.

Stu

Just been looking at the TfWM page regarding the changes:
https://www.tfwm.org.uk/plan-your-journey/ways-to-travel/buses-in-the-west-midlands/upcoming-bus-service-changes/proposed-changes-to-diamond-services-002-45-226-and-4h-from-15-april/

Couple of things here I'd like to comment on:
Regarding the 4H:
QuoteFrom 15 April 2023, Diamond Bus will be withdrawing Sunday services on this route.
We are now looking at an alternative way to operate this service on Sundays at a lower frequency.
Would that be worthwhile? NX already operate the 4 and 4M between Walsall and Blackheath on Sunday, and part of the 4H between Halesowen and Hayley Green.

Regarding the 45:
QuoteThis service was profitable and well used during 2022, therefore we believe there is still enough demand to support it. 
TfWM are now working to secure the funding and the bus operator so that this service can continue beyond 15 April 2023. 
Well if that's the case, according to TfWM, it makes you wonder why NX decided to give up, and now Diamond want to do the same.
But the thing is that times change, operating costs increase, and especially with fares being frozen as they are, once-profitable services can soon become loss-making.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

metrocity

Quote from: Stu on March 15, 2023, 07:29:49 PMJust been looking at the TfWM page regarding the changes:
https://www.tfwm.org.uk/plan-your-journey/ways-to-travel/buses-in-the-west-midlands/upcoming-bus-service-changes/proposed-changes-to-diamond-services-002-45-226-and-4h-from-15-april/

Couple of things here I'd like to comment on:
Regarding the 4H:Would that be worthwhile? NX already operate the 4 and 4M between Walsall and Blackheath on Sunday, and part of the 4H between Halesowen and Hayley Green.

Regarding the 45:Well if that's the case, according to TfWM, it makes you wonder why NX decided to give up, and now Diamond want to do the same.
But the thing is that times change, operating costs increase, and especially with fares being frozen as they are, once-profitable services can soon become loss-making.

Exactly that, especially the routes in the low fare zones 

MW

Routes 45 & 002 have now gone out to tender. (2 options for each services).

Edit: 45 is Monday to Sunday; 002 is Sundays only.

Ginger66

Whilst coming home tonight one solution for part of the 45 route would be to divert to 40 so from Holyhead Road it goes round Charlemont Farm then back up to Stone Cross then normal line of route to Wednesbury and vice versa heading to West Bromwich.

PinkBus

Maybe the 45 could stay with a route change, not going through Charlemont but as the 401/3 did, run straight to Stone Cross, then along Hollyhedge Road, as another poster mentioned, reroute one of the 40s to go through Charlemont and then straight up to Stone Cross and then down Hall Green Road, and call that variation the 40A.
Yew Tree has always to my knowledge been a estate that relied on the route pre COVID, obviously I can't say how it's used now as I live in Handsworth and drive so rarely use buses.
The 002 I do have recent knowledge of the route as my husband drives for Diamond and part of his rota is that route as he works the Merry Hill rota.
When I have caught it with him driving (by the way I always pay for the journeys either cash or by tapping my debit card at Merry Hill and tapping off at Weoley Castle then vice versa on the return journey) the route has been quite well used, but there aren't many passengers who get on in Weoley Castle who go all the way to Merry Hill, a lot get off in Halesowen and then you get other passengers from Halesowen going to Merry Hill.
About timekeeping, there is a lot of pinch points on the route where drivers will lose time, narrow roads where schools are and a lot of roadworks. Manor Way has been especially difficult the past few months. Drivers don't like running late or having to run dead to a certain point and then resume service, they want to provide a service to their passengers, it's difficult when you get stuck in traffic jams and start to run late. My husband will come home feeling miserable because he has been late one trip and hasn't been able to catch up. It's a mentally demanding job.
Hopefully something can be sorted out for the 45 as the other two routes have been sorted out and maybe the Government should provide more help for transport services post COVID.
Just sitting here
Watching the Outer Circle buses
Go round and round...

Westy

Surely any changes to Partnership routes have to happen to both operators, not just the one?

monkeyjoe

winston

Quote from: PinkBus on March 23, 2023, 05:34:40 AMMaybe the 45 could stay with a route change, not going through Charlemont but as the 401/3 did, run straight to Stone Cross, then along Hollyhedge Road, as another poster mentioned, reroute one of the 40s to go through Charlemont and then straight up to Stone Cross and then down Hall Green Road, and call that variation the 40A.
Yew Tree has always to my knowledge been a estate that relied on the route pre COVID, obviously I can't say how it's used now as I live in Handsworth and drive so rarely use buses.
The 002 I do have recent knowledge of the route as my husband drives for Diamond and part of his rota is that route as he works the Merry Hill rota.
When I have caught it with him driving (by the way I always pay for the journeys either cash or by tapping my debit card at Merry Hill and tapping off at Weoley Castle then vice versa on the return journey) the route has been quite well used, but there aren't many passengers who get on in Weoley Castle who go all the way to Merry Hill, a lot get off in Halesowen and then you get other passengers from Halesowen going to Merry Hill.
About timekeeping, there is a lot of pinch points on the route where drivers will lose time, narrow roads where schools are and a lot of roadworks. Manor Way has been especially difficult the past few months. Drivers don't like running late or having to run dead to a certain point and then resume service, they want to provide a service to their passengers, it's difficult when you get stuck in traffic jams and start to run late. My husband will come home feeling miserable because he has been late one trip and hasn't been able to catch up. It's a mentally demanding job.
Hopefully something can be sorted out for the 45 as the other two routes have been sorted out and maybe the Government should provide more help for transport services post COVID.
TfWM have issued tenders for the 45 Operating Daily Option 1 = 30min frequency, Option 2= 20min frequency

Also tenders have been issued for 4H Sundays & 002 Sundays

winston

Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 24, 2023, 04:19:19 PMAny ideas on the bromford 25?
TfWM has issued a tender for the 25 & 600 on the same tender.

Diamond 45 and 002 to remain unchanged until October 2023.
NXWM will operate a hourly Sunday service on the 4H between Walsall and Hayley Green until October 2023.

Proposed changes to Diamond services 002, 45, 226 and 4H from 15 April | Transport for West Midlands (tfwm.org.uk)
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack D

Anyone know what's going to happen to the 25? As it is tendered service and part of the route will need to be covered by another route?

Quote from: Jack D on April 06, 2023, 09:24:48 PMAnyone know what's going to happen to the 25? As it is tendered service and part of the route will need to be covered by another route?
According to TFWM  no change to route and timetable. To be operated by a new operator which is to be announced on the TFWM website in the coming days.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack D

Quote from: 2206 on April 06, 2023, 09:28:40 PMAccording to TFWM  no change to route and timetable. To be operated by a new operator which is to be announced on the TFWM website in the coming days.
Where can you see this information?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk