News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Cross city routes ~ speculation and suggestions

Started by Owen, September 25, 2023, 08:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen

Owen

Quote from: Owen on September 25, 2023, 08:34:30 PM
Looks as if the 62 is making a comeback. Likely this orderly sequences  61/2/3 will remain the service numbers? I think so. This will probably replace the 20A imo.

GoldenSquid

Personally I'm not a fan of cross city routes as I feel like they don't work so well. But combining the 74 with the 97 is the worst idea imo.
Local Routes: 14/71/72/94/95/96/97/X12/X13

Owen

Quote from: GoldenSquid on September 26, 2023, 01:48:32 PMPersonally I'm not a fan of cross city routes as I feel like they don't work so well. But combining the 74 with the 97 is the worst idea imo.
I can imagine the vandalism due to stuff like postcode wars. Etchings in the window getting scratched over and over again. 
I don't think any amount of money will be able to solve issues with parked cars, some drivers are insufferable on these routes. Some roads aren't big enough for bus lanes regardless. I think they should use that money to connect skeleton corridors, destination with beneficial links, bus lanes (fast travel). 

Rachvince53

Quote from: GoldenSquid on September 26, 2023, 01:48:32 PMPersonally I'm not a fan of cross city routes as I feel like they don't work so well. But combining the 74 with the 97 is the worst idea imo.
Agreed. Both services suffer with congestion and timekeeping is awful as a result. Combining them will just make matters worse.

Owen

I feel like routes with bus lanes (or room for bus lanes) would work fine. 63&67, sounds reasonable. 

Stu

Quote from: Rachvince53 on September 26, 2023, 03:51:27 PMAgreed. Both services suffer with congestion and timekeeping is awful as a result. Combining them will just make matters worse.
Some of these cross-city routes are some years away from happening, because of works that will need to be done in order to install bus lanes and priority measures, as is being done along the 50 and 82/87 corridors at present.

Indicative timescales can be found from page 33 onwards in the following document available to download from the TfWM website:

The 50/82/87 cross city service isn't expected to be operational until December 2024, with others not until 2026.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

It's all in the infrastructure. Proper bus lanes and priority at lights similar to the A45/Small Heath ASDA junction coming out of City.

I've driven the "Metrobus" in Bristol, which is a cross city service (North to South). And the majority of it is bus lanes, and it works. The other thing is Dual Door vehicles. They don't seem to be favoured out of London, but for a project like this they are far superior than conventional single door vehicles. The third thing they've done in Bristol is made the Metrobus cashless. Tap&Go and QR code multi use tickets. Loading and unloading is very quick. By having dual door vehicles, you find that passengers don't hang around the bottom of the stairs blocking passengers boarding, because the exit door is further back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk