News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

West midlands bus franchising

Started by Coventrybususer95, February 09, 2023, 06:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coventrybususer95

All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

Tony

More poor journalism by 'Reach'

"If carried out, the WMCA would determine which places are connected by the network, the cost of fares and driver pay and other details which have been under the control of private firms for decades."

Since when did franchising determine drivers' pay? It doesn't in London, won't in Manchester and doesn't on the railways. If every cost was decided by the franchising authority you wouldn't get any variance in the bids.

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on February 09, 2023, 06:28:59 PMThis could be interesting

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/transport-london-style-scheme-considered-26197319?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target
i,ll believe it when it happens otherwise its just a fluff article to fill column inches, isnt TFL in financial problems so why copy this model, still would have all the current issues, where the drivers coming from to improve the network, i personally encourage folks who want to drive for living go and do class 1 and the driving world is your oyster 

metrocity

I'm confused as to why TfWM think that the only operator that would bid for major franchises would be National Express ! That certainly doesnt mirror Manchester, where various new entrants (including NX) submitted bids.

Rachvince53

Quote from: metrocity on February 10, 2023, 07:13:25 AMI'm confused as to why TfWM think that the only operator that would bid for major franchises would be National Express ! That certainly doesnt mirror Manchester, where various new entrants (including NX) submitted bids.
So am I, surely the likes of Rotala and Stagecoach would bid?

Kevin_Brum12

Or indeed an entirely new entrant from outside the big UK groups more used to running in a franchised system, especially if they see an opportunity.  

Ginger66

1) The problem is passenger numbers have not returned to pre covid levels.  I'm working hybrid been I'm only in the office part of the week the rest is at home.    If you was a passenger who drives a car and only now in work one day a week it maybe cheaper to go in to work via own car rather than bus.

2) congestion on network due to my more cars on road.  There is nothing NX/Diamond can do to resolve the congestion, but the bus companies could suggest more bus gates or bus lanes such as having buses lanes/gates down the whole of the Hagley Road from Five Ways to Bearwood or from Snow Hill down the A41 to West Bromwich, but would councils approve the idea of more bus lanes/gates.

3) complete network reviews would be needed to see what routes are still viable worth keeping or what routes need to be axed fully or route overalled, for example the 40 Wednesbury to West Bromwich could be terminated at stone cross,  as there are multiple options from stone cross as you have links to great bridge (30) West Bromwich (4/4H/4M/41/45/30) and Oldbury (4/4H/4M)

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Ginger66 on February 10, 2023, 08:57:28 PM1) The problem is passenger numbers have not returned to pre covid levels.  I'm working hybrid been I'm only in the office part of the week the rest is at home.    If you was a passenger who drives a car and only now in work one day a week it maybe cheaper to go in to work via own car rather than bus.

2) congestion on network due to my more cars on road.  There is nothing NX/Diamond can do to resolve the congestion, but the bus companies could suggest more bus gates or bus lanes such as having buses lanes/gates down the whole of the Hagley Road from Five Ways to Bearwood or from Snow Hill down the A41 to West Bromwich, but would councils approve the idea of more bus lanes/gates.

3) complete network reviews would be needed to see what routes are still viable worth keeping or what routes need to be axed fully or route overalled, for example the 40 Wednesbury to West Bromwich could be terminated at stone cross,  as there are multiple options from stone cross as you have links to great bridge (30) West Bromwich (4/4H/4M/41/45/30) and Oldbury (4/4H/4M)

Just related to your point 2 , went to Tesco today spring hill. All the road works on the Dudley Rd is that all to do with the planned 82/87/50 cross over route? Curious didn't see point of starting new post 

Ginger66

There are other things that can be done instead of bringing buses into public ownership.

Ban cars from certain roads to allow bus smooth sailing on route. (Such as no parking on road between 6am - 7pm) or Where the roads are narrow this could alloe buses to run without having to wait for passing cars.

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Tony on February 09, 2023, 06:38:54 PMMore poor journalism by 'Reach'

"If carried out, the WMCA would determine which places are connected by the network, the cost of fares and driver pay and other details which have been under the control of private firms for decades."

Since when did franchising determine drivers' pay? It doesn't in London, won't in Manchester and doesn't on the railways. If every cost was decided by the franchising authority you wouldn't get any variance in the bids.
Tony,

I agree Manchester doesn't determine drivers pay.  However, what it does do is introduce a minimum employment charter and we have seen pay rates all find a similar level.  There are differences but most of that is really to do with breaks/ unpaid elements

Simon

Simon Dunn

Quote from: metrocity on February 10, 2023, 07:13:25 AMI'm confused as to why TfWM think that the only operator that would bid for major franchises would be National Express ! That certainly doesnt mirror Manchester, where various new entrants (including NX) submitted bids.
I agree

BK63 YWP

The west midlands has always been all about NX but I feel franchises may lead to stagecoach, first, Go Ahead, Transdev and diamond wanting more pieces of the pie
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Ginger66

Quote from: BK63 YWP on February 13, 2023, 04:10:00 PMThe west midlands has always been all about NX but I feel franchises may lead to stagecoach, first, Go Ahead, Transdev and diamond wanting more pieces of the pie
Go-Ahead did take a bite of the cherry as it where when they purchased Diamond bus in 2005 and rebranding it Go|West Midlands and Go-Ahead sold its West Midlands to Rotala in 2008

Rachvince53

And I seem to recall Stagecoach had a go with several routes in Coventry if I recall.

the trainbasher

All we need to run buses in the Midlands is Transport UK/Abellio, Transdev, RATP, Wellglade and ComfortDelGro and all the main groups will have ran here

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk