News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Stagecoach in Birmingham

Started by monkeyjoe, December 08, 2022, 10:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Again another driver I've had to try and tell me Nbus pass is invalid on the 41... absolute joke I'be never had an issue with them on the 82/87/88. Any idea why this is?

Coventrybususer95

Quote from: Jack on February 25, 2023, 01:20:22 PMAgain another driver I've had to try and tell me Nbus pass is invalid on the 41... absolute joke I'be never had an issue with them on the 82/87/88. Any idea why this is?
Probably not been informed by the depot manager about it covering there services
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

mikestone

Or is it the ticket machine that rejects it?

Rachvince53

Quote from: mikestone on February 25, 2023, 04:25:18 PMOr is it the ticket machine that rejects it?
Exactly, they've been on the 41 long enough to know that Nbus passes are valid. 

MW

Quote from: Jack on February 25, 2023, 01:20:22 PMAgain another driver I've had to try and tell me Nbus pass is invalid on the 41... absolute joke I'be never had an issue with them on the 82/87/88. Any idea why this is?

Is it a paper ticket/NX App or is it a swift card?

Jack

Quote from: MW on February 25, 2023, 04:36:20 PMIs it a paper ticket/NX App or is it a swift card?
Swift. They seem to accept the app but not the cards, their drivers also need to learn some respect too, shouting saying it's my card and not the machine. Also the bus advertises it accepts Nbus swift...

MW

Quote from: Jack on February 25, 2023, 04:52:42 PMSwift. They seem to accept the app but not the cards, their drivers also need to learn some respect too, shouting saying it's my card and not the machine. Also the bus advertises it accepts Nbus swift...

With Swift, on Ticketer, if you've got an NX ticket, the machine says Invalid or to that effect. I'm assuming it's showing the nbus ticket as invalid.

There is a function, again on Ticketer, where you can view what ticket is loaded on the card, as sometimes it can be an error.

Stagecoach machines; I've got no idea though.

From the drivers point of view, it must be showing Invalid, so he rightly believes that he is correct, even though he isn't.

Jack

I've used my Swift Nbus card on all the operators with Ticketer and it's been accepted, even on the routes in Solihull. They've obviously not updated their machines because I know it's happened to a few others. But still they are a joke, drivers stopping for a chat in the middle of Stratford Road was great.

Westy

Quote from: Jack on February 25, 2023, 04:52:42 PMSwift. They seem to accept the app but not the cards, their drivers also need to learn some respect too, shouting saying it's my card and not the machine. Also the bus advertises it accepts Nbus swift...
I've had that on Diamond between Bloxwich & Walsall, where my Nx branded Swiftcard didn't work, so I think 'Great, my card's f'd!', but it magically works on the NX 529, & bear in mind my card is preloaded with Nbus tickets, to save the faffing about between operators!

BBS

QuoteSwift. They seem to accept the app but not the cards, their drivers also need to learn some respect too, shouting saying it's my card and not the machine. Also the bus advertises it accepts Nbus swift...
Their drivers are really rude I agree with you 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

BrumKev86

There was a meeting at Hobs Moat Library last week involving local residents and representatives from Stagecoach and TFWM to address people's concerns of the A9 service. Below is what was posted from a local councilior regarding the meeting:

Bus Meeting Minutes

Attendees

Richard Hardman - TfWM (Transport for West Midlands) Network and Subsidized Service Co-ordination

Dominic Davidson - TfWM Day to day bus service planning manager

Kam Gill - Stage Coach

Richard - Stage Coach Operations Manager

Charlie - Stage Coach Ticket Inspector

Why have we seen all these changes?

The government made it a legal requirement for a review of the entire bus network to be carried out by the 1st January 2023. This was when government post Covid subsidies came to an end and TfWM had to create a network that was financially viable without those subsidies. With the ending of these subsidies, some providers chose to withdraw services. This included both the 32 and 58.

The review left TfWM trying to mobilise 120 routes within 3 months (get a new provider ready to run a (new) route). This is the most intensive change they have ever tried to deliver. They weren't able to consult on the changes because the timelines were too tight, which meant there wasn't time to communicate.

Why was there a poor start to the A9 reliability and what are Stage Coach doing to tackle it?

By the time, Stage Coach were informed of their successful bid for the A9, they only had 3 weeks to get all the buses and recruit 42 drivers to run the service. This is their first venture into the West Midlands, so they are currently running services out of Rugby, which means driver have to drive over an hour before starting to run their first route.

This resulted in some no shows and discouraged drivers from joining them. They have had to rely on agency drivers. Action has been taken to address staffing levels and most of the missing routes are now being caused by breakdowns as opposed to staffing shortages

Stage Coach are looking for a local base and believe that when they relocate this should reduce their difficulties with attracting and retaining drivers.

Why didn't National Express bid to run the A9?

They declined to bid, because they are experiencing a nationwide shortage of drivers.

Bus Stop Signage Issues - TfWM have indicated that all bus stops should now have timetables and correct signage. However residents raised concerns about inconsistently labelled bus stops on Richmond Road, bus stops on Coverdale Road saying not in use, despite having a service, bus stops on Highwood Avenue and Summerfield Road having misleading directional signage. There was also a request to reinstate the bus stop in the middle of Dummerfield Road. TfWM have agreed to undertake a review of bus stop signage around Lyndon and address the issues.

TfWM had 10,000 bus stops to update and they prioritised those stops losing services

Could the A9 go up Highwood Avenue?

One of the reasons for supporting meetings like these is to get feedback. We will look into this.

Why doesn't the A16 go to Solihull?

(If TfWM hadn't got the message before that people want to go to Solihull, they certainly have now). The reason for the re-route was to cover the bit of the route that would otherwise have lost a service, when the 32 was withdrawn.

Why doesn't the A9 bus scanners read the Nbus pass?

The scanners work differently to those in National Express buses. On the national express buses you have to tap the pass on stage coach buses, you hover the pass above the machine.

Why are some Stage Coach fares more expensive?

Bus utilities have gone up 56%. Fuel is up 15.6% and wages up 10% (wages represent 46% of costs). This is making it really challenging for bus companies to hold fares. There is lots of work going on around fares

Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

Coventrybususer95

Is coventry not part of the west midlands in stagecoachs eyes?
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

ellspurs

Ooh I saw an elusive Stagecoach sat in Chelmsley Wood this morning (out of service), presumably for the 0910 71.

MasterPlan

Never seen the 46 so busy, just seen one leave Weoley Castle absolutely full...
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Gareth

Quote from: MasterPlan on March 20, 2023, 07:41:09 AMNever seen the 46 so busy, just seen one leave Weoley Castle absolutely full...
NXWM are on strike.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk