News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Fare cap coming...

Started by the trainbasher, July 10, 2022, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

Quote from: mirror.co.ukBus fares to cost no more than £2 in new cap on all local and regional journeys
The government has come under growing pressure to fall into line with other countries, who have slashed the price of public transport following energy and fuel price hikes
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bus-fares-cost-no-more-27442809

There were rumours of it last week on the busandtrainuser blog

Quote from: To cap it all ... a £2 limit - busandtrainuser.comSpeculation is growing of an imminent announcement of a £2 cap on all bus fares throughout England to apply for six months from October as part of Government plans to help with the cost of living.
Such a plan has already been announced by West Yorkshire Combined Authority Mayor Tracey Brabin from September as part of an agreed plan with bus operators under their Enhanced Partnership arrangements and last week Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham, not wanting to be left behind, also jumped on the £2 bandwagon by announcing he was bringing forward a similar plan he'd had for next year under the franchising proposals to also commence in September, assuming a reimbursement deal can be agreed with operators.

The downside of it is that routes like the X5 and Coastliner would be having to turn away passengers on the intermediate stops, and who is to say all operators will take part (or will PTEs/Councils force them to take part?)

What are people's thoughts?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Westy

It's all very well having a fare cap / keeping fares down, but what happens when it comes to the point, when they have no alternative,  but to put the fares up?

Would be it a small increase as previously or a larger increase instead?

Hopefully a small increase would be the answer!

ellspurs

If it is £2/journey, then at least as far as NX are concerned, there ain't really a problem. If daytickets are discontinued then they may even benefit.

Ginger66

Aren't the west midlands already frozen at £2.40 and our weekly/monthly tickets been slashed in price.

I can see it been beneficial if the single trips where slashed as you could entice people to give up the car and take the bus.    

Coventrybususer95

I see the government have extended the £2 single till December 2024 wonder if nx will stay in it
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

mikestone

Personally I doubt if the £2.00 fare has gained a single passenger, and suggest it's just people who would travel by bus anyway saving money.

hlliwmai

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on October 04, 2023, 02:56:09 PMI see the government have extended the £2 single till December 2024 wonder if nx will stay in it

It does make me wonder though with the government announcing that it was continuing with the £2 bus fare cap will these smaller companies cope or will there be more companies calling it quits

Tony

Quote from: hlliwmai on October 05, 2023, 04:55:31 PMIt does make me wonder though with the government announcing that it was continuing with the £2 bus fare cap will these smaller companies cope or will there be more companies calling it quits
Why would small operators suffer?

j789

It's good that the government has seen the reality of the situation to continue support. A lot was written on here in other posts about government inaction so at least they have put some support in place.

I disagree about this scheme not attracting new passengers too, especially those passengers that were lost during COVID, some of them have returned too as it's cheaper paying £4 a day (2 journeys) then using the car - they can therefore be classed as new passengers!

Justin Tyme

The £2 fare cap has certainly encouraged me to travel more by bus.  Days out using multiple operators are now much more affordable, and some long journeys can be done very cheaply - such as Solihull to Banbury or Moreton-in-Marsh for £4 each way.

Long may it continue I say!

hlliwmai

Quote from: Tony on October 05, 2023, 05:41:02 PMWhy would small operators suffer?

Well I know they are getting funding from the government but some companies financially won't be able to continue 

ellspurs

I've seen a lot more people on buses in Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire since the £2 maximum fare started.

It wasn't much of a decrease in the West Midlands as the fares had traditionally been kept low, but in Arriva and Stagecoach country some fares are down 75%+ thanks to the cap.

Tony

Quote from: hlliwmai on October 05, 2023, 08:30:42 PMWell I know they are getting funding from the government but some companies financially won't be able to continue
The whole point of the scheme is to help operators, and if they don't think they'll benefit they didn't sign up, so I cannot see where you're coming from

BrumKev86

Quote from: ellspurs on October 05, 2023, 09:01:27 PMI've seen a lot more people on buses in Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire since the £2 maximum fare started.

It wasn't much of a decrease in the West Midlands as the fares had traditionally been kept low, but in Arriva and Stagecoach country some fares are down 75%+ thanks to the cap.
I think companies such as First would definitely benefit from the cap. Before it came in believe a 2-trip ticket was about £5.50. Whilst I don't mostly dont miss riding a NX bus in the Midlands, what I do miss is the fact you can ride as many buses and only be charged £4.50. Here in North Somerset it's £7 or £12 if you want a west of England zone plus ticket, so it's a pity we don't have a cap on day tickets not just singles. 
Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

Tony

Quote from: BrumKev86 on October 06, 2023, 07:20:31 PMI think companies such as First would definitely benefit from the cap. Before it came in believe a 2-trip ticket was about £5.50. Whilst I don't mostly dont miss riding a NX bus in the Midlands, what I do miss is the fact you can ride as many buses and only be charged £4.50. Here in North Somerset it's £7 or £12 if you want a west of England zone plus ticket, so it's a pity we don't have a cap on day tickets not just singles.
I think Transdev have the most expensive day ticket, but it does cover some very long routes, at £22 although with them participating in the £2 single scheme I cannot believe they sell many with you needing to catch 11 buses to make it worthwhile  Daytripper plus - Transdev (transdevbus.co.uk)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk