News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

New Coventry station opening soon

Started by Sandy Lane, December 12, 2021, 10:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Lane

At least six new bus stops being put up this morning at the new station interchange. It is further away from town than the old stops in Central Six. Hope buses will get priority as cars queue on Warwick Road?
From getting off the train it could be quicker now to walk into town?

I see that taxis still have a pick up right at the front of the station - doesn't seem right?

JPC

Isn't there a recently installed tunnel underneath Warwick Road which I think will provide direct level access to/from Platform 1?

I was expecting many routes, i.e 9/11/12X, in the southbound direction would soon change to just serve the stop on Warwick Rd once the new station building opens (due 19th Dec), otherwise as you say going via the new interchange could be time consuming and annoying for through travellers.

Justin Tyme

Hmm.  Better for passengers not wanting the station, but will passengers at the station wanting to go to the city centre see taxis before buses?  Or will some services still serve the station?

Going back some years now, I thought Coventry had got it right, with buses starting from right outside the entrance - you didn't even get wet.

the trainbasher

Personally i think Buses and DRT should be closer to the station than taxis

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Justin Tyme on December 12, 2021, 04:54:52 PM
Hmm.  Better for passengers not wanting the station, but will passengers at the station wanting to go to the city centre see taxis before buses?  Or will some services still serve the station?

Going back some years now, I thought Coventry had got it right, with buses starting from right outside the entrance - you didn't even get wet.
It used to be great when the bus pulled up right outside the ticket office. It looks like the bus user is going to get a bad deal over at Central Six but must give it a try first. Taxis are going to make a killing - who dreamed that one up.

Sandy Lane

Surprisingly Stagecoach are first to say that the new station stops open on 20th March.
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-11/03/2022-14:52:45:307

Route X17 - New Coventry Rail Stn Bus Interchange opening from 20th March

The new Coventry Rail Station Bus Interchange is due to open on 20th March, and we are excited to be serving this new site.

For buses to Warwick, please use stand WR1

For buses to Coventry, please use stand WR3

The new interchange in linked directly to Coventry Rail Station allowing easy movement between bus & train. It is located at Central Six.

There is no changes to the timetable however if you wish to see the timetable with new stands, click here

Dare I say "Keep up at the back NXC"?

Fred

Quote from: Sandy Lane on March 12, 2022, 04:12:42 PM

Dare I say "Keep up at the back NXC"?

Maybe they are waiting for the date to be confirmed? Which it isn't yet. Just like the December date earlier in this post was never confirmed.

Note there is nothing on the TfWM website, although they have listed a timetable change for the 87!

Sandy Lane

Just out today
https://nxbus.co.uk/coventry/service-updates/new-coventry-interchange-opening-from-sunday-20th-march-2022

New Coventry Interchange opening from Sunday 20th March 2022
From Sunday 20th March, the current interchange will close, and some services will move to a new interchange which is accessible via a walkway in the new station building. The following services will be moving to the new interchange:

9, 11, 12X, 19, 24, 25/25A, 41, 87/87A, X17 & X30

Most services will stop at WR5 or WR6 on Warwick Road.
Please see the list below to find the nearest stop for your bus. A map of the new interchange can also be seen below.
Passengers for service 11 towards University of Warwick and Leamington Spa will find stop WR6 the most convenient.
Passengers for the City Centre will find services 9, 12X and 24/25/25A from stop WR5 the most convenient.

Map as well.
6 stops at the interchange but 2 look like rail replacers?
And 1 stop each way on Warwick rd.

Justin Tyme

NX Coventry may have given only two days' notice on its website of the new interchange, but at least they have done it now.
There is still nothing on the TfWM website.

I must say that Comms with passengers at TfWM are not good - and alot worse than they were a few years ago.

Sandy Lane

Found this about Johnson's 87 bus on TfWM
https://legacy.wmnetwork.co.uk/plan-your-journey/find-a-timetable/#/route/cen_32087_C_H_y11_14-14

Coventry - Solihull via Balsall Common

Whats Happening?
The new bus interchange will open in conjuction with the new station building at Coventry Rail Station.
From Sunday 20th March, buses will be removed from the current interchange, and will move to the new one on the other side of Warwick Road, accessable from a new walkway from the new station building.

At the same time, current stops WR1 and WR3 on Warwick Road bridge will be renamed. Northbound (from Coventry) will be renamed WR6 and Southbound (towards Coventry) will be renamed WR5...

So looks like 87 won't  be using the interchange

JPC

Quote from: Sandy Lane on March 19, 2022, 01:02:05 PM
Found this about Johnson's 87 bus on TfWM
https://legacy.wmnetwork.co.uk/plan-your-journey/find-a-timetable/#/route/cen_32087_C_H_y11_14-14

So looks like 87 won't be using the interchange

The links you provided had always said the 87/87A will additionally serve the new interchange, but anyways looking at today's tracking...... the 87/87A did eventually start serving the new interchange, but also of note they also seem to be re-routed in the City Centre following the 12X route between the Ring Road bridge and Pool Meadow, I guess a fair number of people could have been waiting today at stops which are no longer served. ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk