News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Driver shortage

Started by Steveminor, September 18, 2021, 06:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveminor

With a nationwide shortage of bus drivers whats everyone's experience with this. I just returned from lincolnshire where a normally very frequent service between multiple routes & operators around Ingoldmells turned into just 1 bus in an hour

Kevin

Quote from: Steveminor on September 18, 2021, 06:11:18 PM
With a nationwide shortage of bus drivers whats everyone's experience with this. I just returned from lincolnshire where a normally very frequent service between multiple routes & operators around Ingoldmells turned into just 1 bus in an hour

Rail replacements all directions out of Banbury this weekend are struggling with loads of journeys cancelled. General timetable for the buses is only one Chiltern replacement and one XC replacement an hour as it is, but with this on top there's even less, so a lot of taxis being relied on now
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

ellspurs

My mate was telling me today that he was in Birmingham City Centre yesterday afternoon, heading towards the Smith's Wood bus stops. When he got there, there was a rather large queue, and he stated that five buses (2 x X12/X13 and 3 x 94/95) were pulled up and turned off as they had no relief driver. Not sure of how long it took to resolve as he went off to walk around the city for a bit to let the queue drop.

j789

The government should use a bit of common sense here and suspend rules stipulating services can't be changed without first applying through VOSA. If companies were allowed to run a slightly reduced timetable than advertised for a few months whilst this situation is sorted out,  without having to advertise these changes, this would benefit everyone.

Passengers would not be left with massive gaps in service caused by multiple vehicles missing drivers as the timetable for that day would match the drivers available. Currently, say a 10% shortage in driver hours could be covered by a similar 10% reduction in timetables. Reduced services would be targeted on high frequency routes to avoid less frequent routes having large gaps. This would also mean passengers were not overly disadvantaged by turning up for a bus advertised at a certain time when it actually would arrive a few minutes later.

Along with the current Covid situation causing lower ridership, this would likely not cause overcrowding on routes with a slightly reduced timetable -for example  every 10 minutes instead of 7/8. This would also save companies money so would be win-win as less vehicles would be required.

The government needs to step in and recognise these issues and allow some flexibility to the operating rules, otherwise pretty much every company around the country will fall foul of them.

PB2938

I was in Wolverhampton bus station yesterday around 8 buses parked up in  middle 4 on each side. 3 of them were 59 Branded.
952A Rugeley
Via Great Barr,  Walsall, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Heath Hayes and Hednesford

Westy

Quote from: j789 on September 18, 2021, 08:05:12 PM
The government should use a bit of common sense here and suspend rules stipulating services can't be changed without first applying through VOSA. If companies were allowed to run a slightly reduced timetable than advertised for a few months whilst this situation is sorted out,  without having to advertise these changes, this would benefit everyone.

Passengers would not be left with massive gaps in service caused by multiple vehicles missing drivers as the timetable for that day would match the drivers available. Currently, say a 10% shortage in driver hours could be covered by a similar 10% reduction in timetables. Reduced services would be targeted on high frequency routes to avoid less frequent routes having large gaps. This would also mean passengers were not overly disadvantaged by turning up for a bus advertised at a certain time when it actually would arrive a few minutes later.

Along with the current Covid situation causing lower ridership, this would likely not cause overcrowding on routes with a slightly reduced timetable -for example  every 10 minutes instead of 7/8. This would also save companies money so would be win-win as less vehicles would be required.

The government needs to step in and recognise these issues and allow some flexibility to the operating rules, otherwise pretty much every company around the country will fall foul of them.

Ah, but will they though.

The lorry drivers have the same problem, as there is recruitment still going on in that sector as well.

(The company I work for, being one of those advertising & recruiting on Facebook currently!)

By the way, anyone in Sunday Mercury land spot the Nx job advert in today's paper?

metrocity

Quote from: j789 on September 18, 2021, 08:05:12 PM

For once I agree with you !

metrocity

Quote from: Westy on September 19, 2021, 02:19:41 PM
Ah, but will they though.

The lorry drivers have the same problem, as there is recruitment still going on in that sector as well.

(The company I work for, being one of those advertising & recruiting on Facebook currently!)

By the way, anyone in Sunday Mercury land spot the Nx job advert in today's paper?
The difference with haulage companies is it is easier for them than bus / coach ops to increase pay rates sustainably in order to attract new recruits

Westy

Quote from: metrocity on September 19, 2021, 03:39:13 PM
The difference with haulage companies is it is easier for them than bus / coach ops to increase pay rates sustainably in order to attract new recruits

You have a point, even though most times we do post, you do get the odd post criticising the pay scale & conditions from various ex employees(AFAIK) or people connected with them.

As I've never worked for that department, I can't comment, but we've had new employees in the part of the warehouse I work in & I've found myself rolling my eyes at some of them, especially with the driving of the picking trucks.

The amount of times aisle corners have been misjudged & stock has been damaged amazes me.

Stuharris 6360

Blackpool seem to be having similar both Bus driver and tram driver/conductor shortages as well.

On both Friday and Saturday, promenade bus service 1 was cancelled and bus passes were valid on trams, plus other services were running at a reduced service as well. Trams are being operated with just 1 conductor which at bust times can lead to a lot of people going unticketed.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

sryan188

I would imagine the shortage of HGV drivers will start to impact the bus industry more with drivers potentially retraining to drive HGVs as the pay rates are much higher and the golden handshakes of £1000-£5000 some companies are offering as well to attract people. Plus soon you only have to take one test to drive an articulated HGV not having to pass in a rigid first is going to make access to the industry quicker and cheaper.

Stu

Quote from: Steveminor on September 18, 2021, 06:11:18 PM
With a nationwide shortage of bus drivers whats everyone's experience with this.

I'm fully aware of the shortage of HGV drivers in the UK, but I'm curious to learn why we suddenly have a shortage of bus drivers?

The lorry driver shortage is of course being blamed on 'Brexit' as well as the introduction of something called IR35.

Is it the case that bus drivers are leaving to take up new jobs as HGV drivers?

Or is it still the case that the shortage of drivers is due to the 'pingdemic' effect?

I must admit, on the bus services here that I use, I'm not noticing any reductions in service, just the usual delays caused by increased traffic and congestion, as well as never ending roadworks.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

mesub

Quote from: Stu on September 24, 2021, 07:04:25 PM
I'm fully aware of the shortage of HGV drivers in the UK, but I'm curious to learn why we suddenly have a shortage of bus drivers?

The lorry driver shortage is of course being blamed on 'Brexit' as well as the introduction of something called IR35.

Or is it still the case that the shortage of drivers is due to the 'pingdemic' effect?

I must admit, on the bus services here that I use, I'm not noticing any reductions in service, just the usual delays caused by increased traffic and congestion, as well as never ending roadworks.

I've noticed a few gaps in service for one or two routes.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Wumpty

Quote from: Stu on September 24, 2021, 07:04:25 PM

My personal experience working in logistics with both PCV and HGV drivers is that the recent financial incentives for HGV drivers is certainly turning heads. The pressures placed on any professional driver have increased in recent years, though bus driving is comparatively poorer paid than HGV drivers, though most driving jobs meet a living wage, rather than a wage that's attractive.

The HGV recruitment and incentives is attractive, though many PCV drivers make a knee-jerk reaction to move across where the grass isn't greener. The pressures on HGV drivers to hit tip times, manouevre into ridiculous locations and the time away from home will take its toll.

It's all swings and roundabouts - the goverment need to restart the 90s training schemes for those unemployed for 6 months or more which gave a much needed injection.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Steveminor

Finally a point we both agree on

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk