News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Coventry service changes - 29th Aug 2021

Started by JPC, July 17, 2021, 12:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPC

As mooted amongst the NXWM threads there is also going to be a fair bit of changes to some services in and around Coventry, so I have listed here a summary of new/revised DVSA registrations known so far, served up with the usual it may be incorrect warning:

Service 5/5A - seemingly shortened to Radford (?)
Service 7/7A/7B - existing service 7 extends to replace the City - Bell Green segment of service 10/10A
Service 24  - replaces the 539 and extends from Kenilworth via Burton Green to Tile Hill
Service 25/25A - replaces the 580
Service 26 - replaces the City Centre - Westwood Business Park segment of service 10A
Service 28 - replaces the City Centre - Tile Hill segment of service 10
Service 29/29A - replaces service 1 with extensions at both ends (from Chapelfields to Radford and Walsgrave to Arena Park?)

These registrations are also amended and may just be timetables only : 3 13 14 17 18 21 85

Sh4318

They change the Coventry routes quite a lot don't they ::). It's like the old annual Old Hill/Cradley Heath changes, but on a bigger scale
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on July 17, 2021, 12:39:59 AM
As mooted amongst the NXWM threads there is also going to be a fair bit of changes to some services in and around Coventry, so I have listed here a summary of new/revised DVSA registrations known so far, served up with the usual it may be incorrect warning:

Service 5/5A - seemingly shortened to Radford (?)
Service 7/7A/7B - existing service 7 extends to replace the City - Bell Green segment of service 10/10A
Service 24  - replaces the 539 and extends from Kenilworth via Burton Green to Tile Hill
Service 25/25A - replaces the 580
Service 26 - replaces the City Centre - Westwood Business Park segment of service 10A
Service 28 - replaces the City Centre - Tile Hill segment of service 10
Service 29/29A - replaces service 1 with extensions at both ends (from Chapelfields to Radford and Walsgrave to Arena Park?)

These registrations are also amended and may just be timetables only : 3 13 14 17 18 21 85

Well in Jan 1974, this service operated: 24 Coventry Civic Airport (The Oak PH) – City, Broadgate. So the '24' will return to Baginton (?) albeit only relatively few journeys compared to the past!

Pretty-radical looking changes, I assume the 10 in its current form will cease to exist. Service 7 of old did serve the northeast side of Coventry.

The Everdon Rd area could be without a bus service next month - an idea previously floated, but not implemented.

paulb1973

Quote from: Sh4318 on July 17, 2021, 01:08:51 AM
They change the Coventry routes quite a lot don't they ::). It's like the old annual Old Hill/Cradley Heath changes, but on a bigger scale

Don't think I can recall so many changes - certainly going back the last decade (the 2022 period I'm sure, will look quite different to 2012, certainly just before the Feb 2012 changes). Off the top of my head circa-April 2006, summer 2010, Feb 2012, Sept 2019 and Aug 2020 all saw changes implemented.

ellspurs

I do like that the ex-deCourcey services are being incorporated rather than just strictly ran to tender and subsequently given up.

At times that I've seen the 580/85 in Rugby, they've always had a few passengers on them to my surprise (usually a Monday around midday).

gc802002

Wonder if the 60 and 703 will move to NXC eventually

Lukeeee2018

Bit more information on the changes on bustimes, however, I'm not 100% sure how accurate this information is. Some of the most noticeable things were also mentioned above.

29/A - https://bustimes.org/registrations/PD0001111/815

"Withdrawn Walsgrave - Coventry. Re-routed Coventry - Chapelfields via existing 10 route to Canley Station then Glendower Avenue to Chapelfields. Extended from Chapelfields via Counden and Radford to Arena to replace existing 5 route. Evening/Sunday 29A added to Arena."

85 - https://bustimes.org/registrations/PD0001111/817

"Rerouted between UHCW and Coventry to partially replace route 1, 85S transferred to this registration"

paulb1973

Quote from: Lukeeee2018 on July 21, 2021, 03:36:39 PM
Bit more information on the changes on bustimes, however, I'm not 100% sure how accurate this information is. Some of the most noticeable things were also mentioned above.

29/A - https://bustimes.org/registrations/PD0001111/815

"Withdrawn Walsgrave - Coventry. Re-routed Coventry - Chapelfields via existing 10 route to Canley Station then Glendower Avenue to Chapelfields. Extended from Chapelfields via Counden and Radford to Arena to replace existing 5 route. Evening/Sunday 29A added to Arena."

"Rerouted between UHCW and Coventry to partially replace route 1, 85S transferred to this registration"

The 29/29A is gonna be some route; 1 City - Chapelfields section & 10 City - Canley Station section plus 5 City - Arena Park via Coundon and Radford all covered by the service !

sandboy20

if we get substantial route and route number changes lets hope that something more informative
than "via Coventry" appears on displays and timetables

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Lukeeee2018 on July 21, 2021, 03:36:39 PM

the 1 serves the train station from UHCW. Could the 85 route be extended again back to the station to cover the 1?

JPC

Quote from: paulb1973 on July 22, 2021, 12:19:59 AM
The 29/29A is gonna be some route; 1 City - Chapelfields section & 10 City - Canley Station section plus 5 City - Arena Park via Coundon and Radford all covered by the service !

Ah, I suppose that sounds about right, the info from the registrations is still a hotch-potch but what will make sense would be the 29 (hourly Mon-Sat daytimes) still covering the current 1 route City to Chapelfields, and the 29A (hourly Evenings/Sundays) covering the current 10 route from City to Canley Station as this would replicate the current service pattern in Earlsdon - and unfortunately backtracks on the aspirations of abolishing Evening/Sunday only routes in the bus review of 2012.

I have a feeling this new cluster of services numbers (24-29) will be allocated/needs about 12 Enviro 200s, CV strength is 14.

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 22, 2021, 01:31:07 PM
the 1 serves the train station from UHCW. Could the 85 route be extended again back to the station to cover the 1?

It could be useful if the new 85 would swoop into Coventry Rail Station in the style of the X30 service, but when there is already a dozen or so buses (or up to 20 if you count all operators) per hour linking to and from the City Centre I suppose there's no chance at all.

ellspurs

Quote from: sandboy20 on July 22, 2021, 10:41:28 AM
if we get substantial route and route number changes lets hope that something more informative
than "via Coventry" appears on displays and timetables

But that would break with tradition!

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on July 22, 2021, 07:43:12 PM
Ah, I suppose that sounds about right, the info from the registrations is still a hotch-potch but what will make sense would be the 29 (hourly Mon-Sat daytimes) still covering the current 1 route City to Chapelfields, and the 29A (hourly Evenings/Sundays) covering the current 10 route from City to Canley Station as this would replicate the current service pattern in Earlsdon - and unfortunately backtracks on the aspirations of abolishing Evening/Sunday only routes in the bus review of 2012.

I have a feeling this new cluster of services numbers (24-29) will be allocated/needs about 12 Enviro 200s, CV strength is 14.

It could be useful if the new 85 would swoop into Coventry Rail Station in the style of the X30 service, but when there is already a dozen or so buses (or up to 20 if you count all operators) per hour linking to and from the City Centre I suppose there's no chance at all.

Is there an intention to keep the 5 (as City - Coundon - Wallace Rd - Radford) daytimes - I can't quite work that bit out. There has been a lot of work going-on on Hollyfast Rd and Norman Place Rd, is the bus terminus on the latter going to re-emerge? And presumably the number '1' will disappear again.

JPC

Quote from: paulb1973 on July 25, 2021, 11:08:45 AM
Is there an intention to keep the 5 (as City - Coundon - Wallace Rd - Radford) daytimes - I can't quite work that bit out. There has been a lot of work going-on on Hollyfast Rd and Norman Place Rd, is the bus terminus on the latter going to re-emerge? And presumably the number '1' will disappear again.

An hourly 29 would be insufficient for the section between Westhill Road and Radford, so the 5 will obviously remain possibly going as far as Burnaby Rd/Holbrook Ln on most journeys.
There might be the option of the 29/29A taking an alternative route between Coundon and Radford i.e Moseley Ave (North) and Beake Ave or Scots Lane and Sadler Rd.
The registrations also shows 5A, 7A and 7B variants and I can only loosely guess the 7B is the Cardinal Wiseman school spur, the 7A being a more direct variant to Amazon and the 5A replaces the Diamond 42 - and I would be surprised if all that happens! - as usual it's just a waiting game now until all will be officially revealed.

In my previous post above I forget to include the 85 service in the assumed new cluster of E200 allocated services ;).

JPC

Quote from: paulb1973 on July 25, 2021, 11:08:45 AM

Furthermore, and after looking at Coundon Cycleway plans, yes it seems the turnaround on Norman Place Road is staying put and will be slightly reduced in size to allow the cycleway to veer behind it's 'floating' bus stop, today the short 5 journeys which are currently only scheduled on a Sunday are turning at the Brownshill Green Rd roundabout which in honestly I think should occur permanently and the turnaround mothballed, it's just one extra stop and has a significant spread of residential area nearby deserving of a more regular bus service.
Closer to the City Centre the plans also show intentions to close the busy junction of Barras Lane with Holyhead Road and open up a new junction on Upper Hill Street to/from the clockwise slip of the Ring Road.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk