News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Voith and ZF

Started by Busboy105, June 21, 2021, 08:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busboy105

A long overdue question for me but what E400 MMCs are Voith and which ones are ZF?

Dom

6101-6148 & 6701-6757 - ZF
Everything else - Voith

SK68MEV

Quote from: Dom on June 21, 2021, 09:13:21 PM
6101-6148 & 6701-6757 - ZF
Everything else - Voith
what's the difference i still don't know
Local Routes
NXWM - 11A, 11C, 94, 95, 28, 14, X12, X13
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

Gareth

Quote from: SK68MEV on June 21, 2021, 10:47:10 PM

Just a different gearbox. Makes a slightly different noise and the children get excited. And that's it.

Busboy105

Quote from: SK68MEV on June 21, 2021, 10:47:10 PM
Voith MMCs have a "thrash" sound when moving off and has a different sound when setting down.
For a better example, go on the 50 platinums and then switch to the 11A/C MMCs. You'll notice dome thing different.

Jack

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 21, 2021, 10:53:15 PM
Voith MMCs have a "thrash" sound when moving off and has a different sound when setting down.
For a better example, go on the 50 platinums and then switch to the 11A/C MMCs. You'll notice dome thing different.
Depends, as the ZF MMC's that have Topodyn also have a 'thrash' sound like the Voith ones...

SK68MEV

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 21, 2021, 10:53:15 PM
the ZF do sound better tbh the new platinums are way quieter pulling off and relatively slow
Local Routes
NXWM - 11A, 11C, 94, 95, 28, 14, X12, X13
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

Jack

Quote from: SK68MEV on June 21, 2021, 10:59:44 PM
the ZF do sound better tbh the new platinums are way quieter pulling off and relatively slow
The Voith MMC's are a lot faster imo, the ZF MMC's can be awful, sound boring and are slow pulling away which can be dangerous at busy roundabouts, unless they have topodyn. The Voith MMC's are a lot faster at getting to speed and they don't seem to have jolting gear changes either like the ZF's which end up throwing the whole bus forward...

MW

This is a debate that's gone on forever and ever.

We all have different preferences.

Generally I prefer to drive buses fitted with ZF boxes. That said, older Euro 3/4 buses fitted with Voith have been a pleasure to drive. My experiences of Euro 6 Voiths is terrible. Not driven any 6 cylinder Euro 6 Voith, but I've driven the main offerings with Voith at 4 Cylinder Euro 6. E200MMC and Streetlite - both terrible. Allison is far superior at this end of the market!

ZF tend to work very well with European manufacturers such as Merc, Volvo & Scania. I've not driven a ZF Trident so wouldn't be in a position to comment.

The latest ZF gearboxes are absolutely sublime to use and drive. Extremely good drive on Scania N280s mated to that box.

DJ

One of the main differences, although it's nothing to do with the gearbox, is that none of the ZF ones have USB charging. They also don't have stop start.

Personally, I prefer ZF, especially the newer ones that Dundee have. Voith can be hit or miss for me, I detest it on E200s, for example.

I will say that the later Voith E400MMCs, from the 68 plates onwards I'd say, seem to be a lot better, it could be placebo but they seem to have a bit more grunt to them. I'd still take a ZF one any day over them though.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Stevo

The main difference is that current Voith is a 4 speed, the Zf  a 6 speed. (Older ones in B7Tls and Tridents were 3 speed and 5 speed.) There's a noticeable gap between first and second in the Voith. As a passenger I too find the ZF a bit bland. But transmissions are not designed to entertain passengers!

The zf,s in the 4700/4800 trident chassis buses far superior box than the zf box fitted to 4800/4900s E40d chassis buses, truly aweful gearbox IMO.
I did drive a 61## on loan from The farm with a zf box not very good at all when compared  to w/b 6900s

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk