News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

X30 Ansty Park

Started by Sandy Lane, April 30, 2021, 01:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D10

Quote from: Sandy Lane on December 31, 2023, 03:58:18 PMAgree it's a strange location for a business park
http://www.anstypark.co.uk/By-Bus
Think the photo may have been one of Diamond's fleet?

While strictly just over the Warks border Coventry & W. Mids Mayor are key stakeholders
http://www.anstypark.co.uk/Coventry-City-Council

I hear that massive site expansion is being discussed so good public transport will still be necessary to Coventry rail station.

From Clifford Bridge Rd direct bus services to the station have been decimated by Birmingham based TfWM.
Examples
585 (85) had a 30 min frequency but no longer goes to the rail station.
1 (Diamond) used to serve the rail station. Service canned.
17 used to serve to station but no longer.

As I say it will be interesting to see what happens next?

The 85 is a Warwickshire contract and the 17 is commercial. Yes, the 1 was TfWM subsidised but as they only have a finite amount of money to go around they aren't going to support every possible journey situation especially as mentioned above there are plenty of alternatives that involve a change of bus.

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on December 31, 2023, 09:27:52 AMSomething the glorious TfWM transport gurus in far away Birmingham just cannot seem to get sorted. Now two operators have proven it can't be done with 2 vehicles it will be interesting to see what happens next?
As far as I am aware, the X30 service was funded by Ansty Park's owners, and thus TfWM would have had little involvement.

The idea of starting up these bus services to business parks and industrial estates, and providing funding for them, is to get them established, with the intention being that enough employees then use them to make them commercially viable without the support funding.

As the old saying goes "use it or lose it".

If the support funding ends, and there aren't enough passengers to use it, then the service is commercially unviable.

TfWM may be based in Birmingham but they have access to enough passenger loading/usage data provided by the local bus operators to make informed decisions.

Apart from Ansty Park itself, it would seem that other parts of the X30 route are adequately covered by other services.

I did look on Ansty Park's website a while back, and while there is a 'token' nod to a bus service, it seems to me they are more focused on encouraging employees to cycle to work.

Maybe if companies based at Ansty Park had done more to encourage or incentivise their employees to travel by bus on the X30, then it might have ended up being more successful.

Can't really blame TfWM for that.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sandy Lane

Quote from: 2206 on December 30, 2023, 02:02:42 PMAnd confusing the matter more the X30 has a timetable showing on the website for the 8th - 12th January 2024. Mostly the same as the current one, except notice some early evening journeys are retimed.
X30 Coventry - Ansty Park | NX Bus Coventry

Though asking NX about this on twitter they say "the X30 service will be withdrawn starting Monday 8th January, the timetable shown afer this date will be withdrawn".
I'm not sure if the website is automatically showing a pre Christmas timetable or something else?

There may be a clue in the timing point of the timetable you mention?
The X30 today does not serve Pool Meadow and the old sports centre (Fairfax St) is the timing point. In the TT you talk about the timing point stop is moved to Hales St but not sure where exactly. Could this indicate a route change using a new operator?

JPC

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 01, 2024, 10:23:26 AMThere may be a clue in the timing point of the timetable you mention?
The X30 today does not serve Pool Meadow and the old sports centre (Fairfax St) is the timing point. In the TT you talk about the timing point stop is moved to Hales St but not sure where exactly. Could this indicate a route change using a new operator?
Clicking on the map indicates the stop on Hales Street which it currently drives past, namely the current 21 to Wood End stand opposite the old fire station, this was mooted before in a previous timetable some years ago but never came to fruition and quickly disappearred, I see you also suggested this a few years ago and I fully agree with it.
Our only hope for next week is a new operator - not building my hopes up though, a new operator will also be a sitting duck unless they accept nBus etc. tickets to/from Ansty Park.

BBS

QuoteClicking on the map indicates the stop on Hales Street which it currently drives past, namely the current 21 to Wood End stand opposite the old fire station, this was mooted before in a previous timetable some years ago but never came to fruition and quickly disappearred, I see you also suggested this a few years ago and I fully agree with it.
Our only hope for next week is a new operator - not building my hopes up though, a new operator will also be a sitting duck unless they accept nBus etc. tickets to/from Ansty Park.
It's probably going to be Stagecoach
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Stu

Quote from: BBS on January 01, 2024, 02:36:45 PMIt's probably going to be Stagecoach

Nobody has submitted a new registration for the X30.
My locals:

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 01, 2024, 10:23:26 AMThere may be a clue in the timing point of the timetable you mention?

Ref the Cox St / Fairfax St temporary road closures in January.
NXC today now seem to be saying the X30 will actually be running up to 27th January?
https://nxbus.co.uk/coventry/service-updates/cox-streetfairfax-street 

Could it be then that a new NXC X30 contract has just been put in place despite the previous NXC service update that was published 29th December? If so, then this could be good news or have I got it wrong?

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 03, 2024, 07:42:05 PMRef the Cox St / Fairfax St temporary road closures in January.
NXC today now seem to be saying the X30 will actually be running up to 27th January?
https://nxbus.co.uk/coventry/service-updates/cox-streetfairfax-street

Could it be then that a new NXC X30 contract has just been put in place despite the previous NXC service update that was published 29th December? If so, then this could be good news or have I got it wrong?

It doesn't say that, that date signifies the end of the road closures.

The mention of the X30 there is probably a mistake.
My locals:

Coventrybususer95

All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 04, 2024, 01:47:14 PMThat's good news.
Now it just needs Ansty Park to do more to get the employees of the companies based there to make more use of this bus service.

More revenue through passenger growth is better than support funding.
My locals:

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Stu on January 04, 2024, 07:01:31 PMNow it just needs Ansty Park to do more to get the employees of the companies based there to make more use of this bus service.

More revenue through passenger growth is better than support funding.

Agree fully but it's no good just sitting back to see what happens. Should TfWM be regularly setting up their marketing stall? There is more than one market to consider. Done right could see demand increase.

On site selling this useful transport link and talking to employees inside all the businesses at Ansty Park has to be a priority surely?

Perhaps also advertise to all Coventry citizens living on the route inside all the X30 bus shelters into town? How many rail commuters are aware of the advantage that the X30 offers the quickest direct link to the rail station? plus the successful joint bus / train /  tram tickets that are available? 

Also, could more recent vehicles be considered with next stop announcements, usb sockets, comfy seats, etc, to encourage car drivers to consider using the modern bus. 

Reliability of the service will also have a key part to play in getting car users to switch to the bus. At peak times I reckon there has been a problem for some time.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 04, 2024, 09:45:33 PMAgree fully but it's no good just sitting back to see what happens. Should TfWM be regularly setting up their marketing stall? There is more than one market to consider. Done right could see demand increase.

Bear in mind that Ansty Park is located outside the TfWM area - it is in Warwickshire.  While the X30 is aimed at and benefits residents in the WMCA area, so do (or have) bus services from the Birmingham area to places such as Amazon at Rugeley and Boots at Burton-on-Trent.

I believe that TfWM policy has, rightly or wrongly, been not to subsidise works (or schools) services for several years, and I cannot recall when Warwickshire County Council last subsidised a works service.  I'm sure both authorities would say that it is up to the owners or managers of Ansty Park - or employers there - to decide whether or not to fund a service.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Justin Tyme on January 04, 2024, 11:06:18 PMBear in mind that Ansty Park is located outside the TfWM area - it is in Warwickshire. 
True, but it is only just outside the Coventry boundary and TfWM is the only transport authority that has shown any interest. TfWM also offers the nearest rail station connectivity. Hence TfWM should lead on this IMO.

Quote from: Justin Tyme on January 04, 2024, 11:06:18 PMI believe that TfWM policy has, rightly or wrongly, been not to subsidise works (or schools) services for several years, and I cannot recall when Warwickshire County Council last subsidised a works service.  I'm sure both authorities would say that it is up to the owners or managers of Ansty Park - or employers there - to decide whether or not to fund a service.
Agree services should be self funded to at least break even. I think you may mis-understand what I mean about on-site marketing the X30. This is not about selling tickets at cut price. This is about TfWM spending a full day at each business at Ansty Park with a 'pop up' marketing stand talking to the employees and explaining about how good the X30 link is. Also TfWM should listen to employee concerns and take away any issues that are raised.

I doubt that relying on each business organisation's HR team to do this on behalf of TfWM will achieve very much. TfWM should be out there on the front line selling the product. The stand is best placed in popular and well used staff break out / canteen areas.

After 3 - 6 months TfWM should go back in again and repeat the activity. Its no good doing nothing and hoping more will use the service. TfWM definitely has some work to do IMO.

There are some grand sounding job titles with TfWM. If they can be bothered to go out and meet these potential customers- well that's another issue.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 05, 2024, 07:53:10 AMI think you may mis-understand what I mean about on-site marketing the X30. This is not about selling tickets at cut price. This is about TfWM spending a full day at each business at Ansty Park with a 'pop up' marketing stand talking to the employees and explaining about how good the X30 link is.

I appreciate what you're saying. I used the word 'subsidise' to mean funding the contract for the service. Do we know who lets the contract? I get the impression from earlier posts here that it isn't a TfWM contact.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk