News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Coventry electric buses

Started by Ben, March 18, 2020, 12:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

"Electric bus driver training" x2 (times 2)
Does anybody know anything?

cris 99

E003 was on driver training yesterday
17//72/73/97/X12

Stu

Quote from: Ben on March 18, 2020, 12:27:38 PM
"Electric bus driver training" x2 (times 2)
Does anybody know anything?

Coventry garage are due to receive some new electric buses, probably later this year.

See main topic on this subject for more info:
http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5676.0

Some of Yardley Wood's already delivered vehicles are being used for training purposes.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Dylanbusboy45

Not sure where to put this, but seems a lot of fleet changes could happen this year with this announcement. Both Oxford and Coventry are set to be the UK's first all electric bus cities

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coventry-and-oxford-set-to-be-uks-first-all-electric-bus-cities

ellspurs

Posting in here, as it has more relevance to Coventry than NX.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-set-millions-become-one-19574476

Coventry City Council has been selected (along with Oxford) to receive funding to replace buses running in the city with all-electric buses, along with electrical grid and infrastructure upgrades.

I assume that NX, Stagecoach and Arriva were part of the application for this from Coventry.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: ellspurs on January 06, 2021, 04:43:03 PM
Posting in here, as it has more relevance to Coventry than NX.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-set-millions-become-one-19574476

Coventry City Council has been selected (along with Oxford) to receive funding to replace buses running in the city with all-electric buses, along with electrical grid and infrastructure upgrades.

I assume that NX, Stagecoach and Arriva were part of the application for this from Coventry.
I dont think its in the bag yet! To me it says Coventry could get funding if a good business case is made?

Do you see the other operators coming into Coventry using electric buses or will it just be NXC?

ellspurs

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 06, 2021, 06:34:06 PM
I dont think its in the bag yet! To me it says Coventry could get funding if a good business case is made?

Do you see the other operators coming into Coventry using electric buses or will it just be NXC?

It'd depend on how it is ran.

If they decide to run everything under the "West Midlands Buses" banner, then it ultimately wouldn't matter who ran the services, so Stagecoach/Rotala could put their foot in. If not, then the other companies would have to consider the cost of opening up over in Coventry, which given the current setup would be a hard call to make.

Note: if they did run under the "West Midlands Buses" banner and make the buses crimson red, I would laugh quite a lot at it.

mesub

If (and it looks likely from the Instagram post that nxwestmidlands reposted) NXC do have their fleet upgraded, what would happen to the current vehicles?
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

stephen ford

They would be transferred to Birmingham and back country

Stu

Quote from: mesub on January 06, 2021, 07:28:41 PM
If (and it looks likely from the Instagram post that nxwestmidlands reposted) NXC do have their fleet upgraded, what would happen to the current vehicles?

In the case of NXC, I would guess that the non-electric vehicles would be absorbed into the NXWM fleet helping to see off some older vehicles.

This isn't going to happen overnight though, how many buses are we talking at NXC? These vehicles take time to be built.

My locals:

DJ

Quote from: ellspurs on January 06, 2021, 07:22:40 PMNote: if they did run under the "West Midlands Buses" banner and make the buses crimson red, I would laugh quite a lot at it.

There's a page in the branding guidelines with a version of the livery for Coventry.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Tony

Quote from: Stu on January 06, 2021, 07:36:59 PM
In the case of NXC, I would guess that the non-electric vehicles would be absorbed into the NXWM fleet helping to see off some older vehicles.

This isn't going to happen overnight though, how many buses are we talking at NXC? These vehicles take time to be built.

If NXWM is to meet its zero emission pledge by 2030 then they need to replace an average of 150 buses per year so this would cover this years!

Quote from: ellspurs on January 06, 2021, 07:22:40 PM
It'd depend on how it is ran.

If they decide to run everything under the "West Midlands Buses" banner, then it ultimately wouldn't matter who ran the services, so Stagecoach/Rotala could put their foot in.
Would they run the services to Stratford and Warwick under the "West Midlands Buses" name though? As they're in Warwickshire.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: Tony on January 06, 2021, 07:42:41 PM
If NXWM is to meet its zero emission pledge by 2030 then they need to replace an average of 150 buses per year so this would cover this years!

That is indeed true, I don't doubt that.

My point was about how long it would realistically take to replace the entire NXC fleet with all-electric vehicles. Could it happen within the space of one year?

Will certainly keep the bus-builders busy and in work for a while!

My locals:

Quote from: Stu on January 06, 2021, 08:43:16 PM
That is indeed true, I don't doubt that.

My point was about how long it would realistically take to replace the entire NXC fleet with all-electric vehicles. Could it happen within the space of one year?

Will certainly keep the bus-builders busy and in work for a while!
Coventry currently have 34 B7RLE currently according to the main site, wander what will happen to them?
Would they replace older B7RLE/Omnilinks elsewhere for withdrawal?

Or single decker coversions of other routes in Birmingham/Black Country?

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on January 06, 2021, 08:51:37 PM
Will Coventry get all this years new buses moving the diesel fleet out? How many buses does NXC have?
I doubt it will be all of them as there's supposed to be new hydrogen buses for Birmingham. @SL 16 YPN
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk