News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

West Midlands Bus Area Map and Guides

Started by Bus Man K2, October 30, 2019, 05:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 17, 2021, 07:01:24 AM
Hi @karl724223

No TfWM aren't desperate...they saw an opportunity to invite me in as an outsider and a enthusiast. Also as they carnt always get things right, with my expertise in detail (except for Coventry) I do pritty well considering... also they said to get as many people envolved as possible... I can only assue its because of the workload that they gets so much wrong!!...

Still struggling to buy that.
TfWM isn't going to favour asking some random enthusiast to provide things like this over liaising with the actual bus companies that run the actual routes. Their very existence is to to just that: working in partnership with bus operators, providing information to passengers and updating timetables and maps, literally taken from their "about us" section on their website.

I can absolutely get that it'd be something you're personally interested in and I can see someone taking it upon themselves to
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Kevin on January 17, 2021, 08:15:03 AM
TfWM isn't going to favour asking some random enthusiast to provide things like this over liaising with the actual bus companies that run the actual routes. Their very existence is to to just that: working in partnership with bus operators, providing information to passengers and updating timetables and maps, literally taken from their "about us" section on their website.

I can absolutely get that it'd be something you're personally interested in and I can see someone taking it upon themselves to

I can see where you're coming from... however they do liase with the nain operator but not every time deso the operator  pick up as many observations as I do... I've picked up 129 observations which is a 19 page doc on the Birmingham map.... For Coventry I have only pick up so far  around 5 pages...So can you now see how much I pick up to was the actual people who work for the comapies can... Not trying to start an argument or to have this topic locked.... however it is a good place for me to post... Sorry if this sounds like I'm having a go at the operators but  that's not  what I'm trying to do. Plus they want to know these thing from a passenger point of view...so if they want to canvers 'passengers' to help them then thay can do that surely?

ellspurs

Their very existence is to to just that: working in partnership with bus operators, providing information to passengers and updating timetables and maps, literally taken from their "about us" section on their website.

Yeah, they're excelling at that at the moment.

From their website, the "upcoming bus changes" hasn't been updated since the 11th of March, 2020.

https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/ways-to-travel/buses/upcoming-bus-changes/

They also have this buried under the "current travel advice" heading, which is just telling people to check the individual operator's website for details. Before this update, the last update I saw on here was regarding the extending of the A10 from Cranes Park over the 91 route into Chelmsley Wood. This information should be on the "upcoming bus changes" page. There's been no mention on here of Chaserider overtaking the Arriva services in the Walsall/Brownhills/Wolverhampton areas.

https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/plan-your-journey/current-travel-advice/bus-updates-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak/

TfWM need to do a better job at communicating and updating their information. Most of the things I've seen been mentioned to @Bus Man K2 here have actually been incorporated into those maps (like the reinstatement of the 94 service that got removed when Claribels withdrew their service), so it is actually making a difference, highlighting that TfWM needs to get a grip on it.

Pat

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 17, 2021, 08:55:52 AM
I can see where you're coming from... however they do liase with the nain operator but not every time deso the operator  pick up as many observations as I do... I've picked up 129 observations which is a 19 page doc on the Birmingham map.... For Coventry I have only pick up so far  around 5 pages...So can you now see how much I pick up to was the actual people who work for the comapies can... Not trying to start an argument or to have this topic locked.... however it is a good place for me to post... Sorry if this sounds like I'm having a go at the operators but  that's not  what I'm trying to do.
It's not so much about the number of observations you've picked up, but more so that it is somewhat unusual that TfWM, the authority whose responsibility it is to produce information, is relying on an enthusiast (who they aren't paying) to check over maps etc in areas in which you yourself are unfamiliar with.  There are people in these areas who, like already said, will know every little detail about every route.  If you don't know the information you are being asked to check, instead relying on Google etc, how can TfWM and passengers be sure that the map is correct?

I've done some work for WMCA/NWM in the past, and even though I volunteered to do this, I was still given some form of payment for it.  I find it strange that even though this is their domain, they still get an unpaid enthusiast to do this.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: ellspurs on January 17, 2021, 09:05:51 AM
Yeah, they're excelling at that at the moment.

From their website, the "upcoming bus changes" hasn't been updated since the 11th of March, 2020.

https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/ways-to-travel/buses/upcoming-bus-changes/

They also have this buried under the "current travel advice" heading, which is just telling people to check the individual operator's website for details. Before this update, the last update I saw on here was regarding the extending of the A10 from Cranes Park over the 91 route into Chelmsley Wood. This information should be on the "upcoming bus changes" page. There's been no mention on here of Chaserider overtaking the Arriva services in the Walsall/Brownhills/Wolverhampton areas.

https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/plan-your-journey/current-travel-advice/bus-updates-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak/

TfWM need to do a better job at communicating and updating their information. Most of the things I've seen been mentioned to @Bus Man K2 here have actually been incorporated into those maps (like the reinstatement of the 94 service that got removed when Claribels withdrew their service), so it is actually making a difference, highlighting that TfWM needs to get a grip on it.

Thank you @ellspurs  for backing me up on this I do really appreciate it and all the help I, get on here... even if sometime I do brass people off with my contiuning posts!!! 😁  I also tryed to find the upcoming service changes which I gave up in the end because they've normally attached to the bottom of the Disruptioms page... I also know that they have updated them since March of last year.... but you can understand why they haven't... with all the short term changes during lockdowns and that.... hopefully in the not so distant future you'll start to see the document being updated again...

karl724223

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 17, 2021, 07:01:24 AM
Hi @karl724223

No TfWM aren't desperate...they saw an opportunity to invite me in as an outsider and a enthusiast. Also as they carnt always get things right, with my expertise in detail (except for Coventry) I do pritty well considering... also they said to get as many people envolved as possible... I can only assue its because of the workload that they gets so much wrong!! 😁

So that's another reason why they asked me to get envolved as I have very little to do during the day except for my other things that envlove NX and stop lists!!!!😁
your so called expertise is that why your on here asking questions all the while
Because yow ay gorra scooby doo

Bus Man K2

Quote from: karl724223 on January 17, 2021, 10:04:42 AM
your so called expertise is that why your on here asking questions all the while
Because yow ay gorra scooby doo

Then tell me this then @karl724223  Why have I got 129 observations for Birmingham.. yes I grant you that some of those are observatios from on here but not all of them are...so get your facts right before you question me on here. Sorry if I come acroos arsey I don't mean it but as you come across arsey then why shouldn't I? I know two Wrongs don't make a right..but I have backed myself up also some prople on here are also backing me up. so I have obviously got a Scooby Doo as you put it.... Now can we just get back to the topic on hand please? I don't want another topic of mine being looked or deleated... As this does help be when I don't know the area as well as I should! 😁 Plus I have had althority  from TfWM themselves to shrae it with other passengers or staff how work with the varius companies.. So actually that's why I'm on here as you say all the while... so whats the saying 'don't shoot the messenger'!! 😁, Which I am the messenger.

Bus Man K2

Hi @Kevin  why do yousay that?? As I have clearly stated before that they invted me to give observations on all literature that the Passenger information team work on..

Bus Man K2

Plus as I've just said to @karl724223

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 17, 2021, 10:46:22 AM
Then tell me this then @karl724223  Why have I got 129 observations for Birmingham.. yes I grant you that some of those are observatios from on here but not all of them are...so get your facts right before you question me on here. Sorry if I come acroos arsey I don't mean it but as you come across arsey then why shouldn't I? I know two Wrongs don't make a right..but I have backed myself up also some prople on here are also backing me up. so I have obviously got a Scooby Doo as you put it.... Now can we just get back to the topic on hand please? I don't want another topic of mine being looked or deleated... As this does help be when I don't know the area as well as I should! 😁 Plus I have had althority  from TfWM themselves to shrae it with other passengers or staff how work with the varius companies.. So actually that's why I'm on here as you say all the while... so whats the saying 'don't shoot the messenger'!! 😁, Which I am the messenger.

If you can answer this then I must be waisting my time!!! 😁 Which I'm obviously not in my opinion!! 😁 Obviously some people on here think I am...

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 17, 2021, 11:05:15 AM

Plus as I've just said to @karl724223

If you can answer this then I must be waisting my time!!! 😁 Which I'm obviously not in my opinion!! 😁 Obviously some people on here think I am...

But many of those are giving people the idea they can catch buses where they cannot. (35 Moor Street Queensway is the most stupid, any bus along Heartlands Parkway etc)

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on January 17, 2021, 11:12:25 AM
But many of those are giving people the idea they can catch buses where they cannot. (35 Moor Street Queensway is the most stupid, any bus along Heartlands Parkway etc)

Ok @Tony  I did hold my hands up on both of thoes points..

Firstly the 35 operates along Moor Street Queensway

Secondly The X12 & X70 are shown on the map on the timeyable (TfWM edition and not Adam's) as operating along Heartlands Parkway.

Thirdly  if there are variations of a route TfWM are of the mind to show the most direct route and if that's voa Heatlands Parkway then that's wjat the do.... I can suggest they just have a little note at bromford and in the city to say it operates different ways between here and the City/Bromford. They may take it on but they may still wahi to show the fastest route. You'd have to take it up with them then!! 😁

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Pat on January 17, 2021, 09:07:53 AM
It's not so much about the number of observations you've picked up, but more so that it is somewhat unusual that TfWM, the authority whose responsibility it is to produce information, is relying on an enthusiast (who they aren't paying) to check over maps etc in areas in which you yourself are unfamiliar with.  There are people in these areas who, like already said, will know every little detail about every route.  If you don't know the information you are being asked to check, instead relying on Google etc, how can TfWM and passengers be sure that the map is correct?

I've done some work for WMCA/NWM in the past, and even though I volunteered to do this, I was still given some form of payment for it.  I find it strange that even though this is their domain, they still get an unpaid enthusiast to do this.

Although @Pat I am an enthusiast I do other stuff for TfWM and NX as voluntary. but can't go into any detail.. but they are still greatful for it...

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 17, 2021, 11:26:02 AM
Ok @Tony  I did hold my hands up on both of thoes points..

Firstly the 35 operates along Moor Street Queensway

Secondly The X12 & X70 are shown on the map on the timeyable (TfWM edition and not Adam's) as operating along Heartlands Parkway.

Thirdly  if there are variations of a route TfWM are of the mind to show the most direct route and if that's voa Heatlands Parkway then that's wjat the do.... I can suggest they just have a little note at bromford and in the city to say it operates different ways between here and the City/Bromford. They may take it on but they may still wahi to show the fastest route. You'd have to take it up with them then!! 😁

You really need to know what it is like dealing with the general public, I was Pavilions shop manager for 3 years, all you are doing by putting things like the 35 along Moor Street Queensway is causing grief and abuse to front line staff. That is why I am so angry about it. If a bus is shown on a map going down a road people expect to be able to catch or get off a bus there. I have had a member of my staff physically assaulted when trying to explain something similar.

(incidently have you included the other 3 services that do exactly the same as the 35? I don't think there is enough room on the map to print 4 service numbers in about 4mm)

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on January 17, 2021, 11:42:04 AM
You really need to know what it is like dealing with the general public, I was Pavilions shop manager for 3 years, all you are doing by putting things like the 35 along Moor Street Queensway is causing grief and abuse to front line staff. That is why I am so angry about it. If a bus is shown on a map going down a road people expect to be able to catch or get off a bus there. I have had a member of my staff physically assaulted when trying to explain something similar.

(incidently have you included the other 3 services that do exactly the same as the 35? I don't think there is enough room on the map to print 4 service numbers in about 4mm)

As I said though @Tony  I omly suggest the amendmets it's up to them to accept and change it or leave it as it is.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble with passengers when you worked in the travelshop environment and also I'm sorry to hear thay you also had a colleague physically abuse... Again as I say you need to take it up with TfWM and not me as I am only a volunteer snd not everything I say they d take on board.

Plus the fact I was ascing if tge 35 still operated along/served Moor Street Queensway was because I wasn't sure if it had changed at all and to terminate at Markets or somewhere differeny.

I havent sugessted to add the numbers to Moor Street Queensway it was m9re of a case of showing operating along it.

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 17, 2021, 11:49:28 AM
As I said though @Tony  I omly suggest the amendmets it's up to them to accept and change it or leave it as it is.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble with passengers when you worked in the travelshop environment and also I'm sorry to hear thay you also had a colleague physically abuse... Again as I say you need to take it up with TfWM and not me as I am only a volunteer snd not everything I say they d take on board.

And are you recommending the other 3 services that make the same manoeuvre as the 35 on Moor Street Queensway as well?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk