News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Coventry Network Review - September 2019

Started by JPC, June 19, 2019, 10:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb1973

Quote from: JoNi on August 09, 2019, 10:46:02 PM
Thanks for this pretty much confirms my suspicions reading between the lines of survey that these changes had been decided before the public were "consulted". I therefore wonder who the person in NX is who has the power to implement a culture of effective on going liaison with citizens. An example one company has adopted is individual travel centre staff who have been relieved of ticket selling by the internet are made responsible for specific communities rather than sitting in an office with less to do!

You could argue these changes aren't that radical, there are few new numbers/routes from the current set-up. What seems to be happening is just the breaking of old/establishing new cross-city links - probably for operator convenience, dealing with increased traffic conditions etc. Will many people from Allesley Park want to go to Stoke Aldermoor, Binley and so-on, I doubt they'll be many (save for a few wanting to get to the Hospital).

I note there is no 23A - suggesting the City - Warwickshire Shopping Park/UHCW service will use one direct route (with no split in the Humber Rd area) I wonder which route it will take? - I can feel some moaning coming along from those roads that will miss out. There is still a plan to divert the 4 through Britannia Street so it can serve Hillfields?

JoNi

Quote from: paulb1973 on August 10, 2019, 12:43:21 PM
You could argue these changes aren't that radical, there are few new numbers/routes from the current set-up. What seems to be happening is just the breaking of old/establishing new cross-city links - probably for operator convenience, dealing with increased traffic conditions etc. Will many people from Allesley Park want to go to Stoke Aldermoor, Binley and so-on, I doubt they'll be many (save for a few wanting to get to the Hospital).

I note there is no 23A - suggesting the City - Warwickshire Shopping Park/UHCW service will use one direct route (with no split in the Humber Rd area) I wonder which route it will take? - I can feel some moaning coming along from those roads that will miss out. There is still a plan to divert the 10 through Britannia Street so it can serve Hillfields?

Some Concessionary Pass holding friends from Allesley Park are very happy with the current 23/A as it goes within walking distance of the station. Is it really beyond the wit of a responsible member of NXC to seek feedback by placing notices on buses asking users  for feedback on a route with its own pool of vehicles. Better still a manager could park in Allesley Park and catch the bus to work and speak to customers!

highland

Update - the registration for the 5 has now been changed. It's now between Coventry City Centre and Radford. See link here - https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/537647/.

Additionally, the registration for the 18/18A/19 has now been cancelled, see link here - https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/537648/.

No other changes from today as far as I can see.

The consultation said the 19 would stay, but the times might change, so I'm not sure what'll happen with that.

From this it could be the case that the old 5 route to Tile Hill via Earlsdon could be part of the 10 after all. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

paulb1973

Quote from: highland on August 12, 2019, 11:15:42 AM
Update - the registration for the 5 has now been changed. It's now between Coventry City Centre and Radford. See link here - https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/537647/.

Additionally, the registration for the 18/18A/19 has now been cancelled, see link here - https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/537648/.

No other changes from today as far as I can see.

The consultation said the 19 would stay, but the times might change, so I'm not sure what'll happen with that.

From this it could be the case that the old 5 route to Tile Hill via Earlsdon could be part of the 10 after all. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

It seems that way - so numbers 18 & 19 might well disappear (there is a long association with the number '18' and the Canley area - shame to see that end, potentially, but anything goes these days I suppose!).

NXC will be using remarkably few service numbers; using between 3 and 23 in the main - even then there will be quite a few gaps in that range. The lowest number of different services for quite a while it seems, granted we're still sticking to these 'A' services for parallel/similar routes - the obsession with using those remains.

JPC

Quote from: paulb1973 on August 10, 2019, 12:43:21 PM

I note there is no 23A - suggesting the City - Warwickshire Shopping Park/UHCW service will use one direct route (with no split in the Humber Rd area) I wonder which route it will take? - I can feel some moaning coming along from those roads that will miss out. There is still a plan to divert the 4 through Britannia Street so it can serve Hillfields?

The Councillor for the Allesley Park area has confirmed the new 23 service will provide links to Coventry University, Blue Coat School, Stoke Aldermoor and WSP/UHCW, operating to a 12 minute daytime frequency to WSP and hourly to UHCW.

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on August 15, 2019, 05:17:32 PM
The Councillor for the Allesley Park area has confirmed the new 23 service will provide links to Coventry University, Blue Coat School, Stoke Aldermoor and WSP/UHCW, operating to a 12 minute daytime frequency to WSP and hourly to UHCW.

That sounds like that Bally Singh chap. A 12 mins frequency isn't much different from the current I suppose. But it'll be a long route all-told, will it be any more reliable for the residents of Allesley Park? Might it be quicker for those in that area, to get off in town and grab another service to the Hospital (rather than face a long and winding route via Stoke/Stoke Aldermoor et-al).

So no service at all for Aldermoor Lane, Bolingbroke Rd and those two bus stops on the northern section of Humber Rd? (that's at least 3 bus shelters being made redundant).

JPC

Quote from: paulb1973 on August 15, 2019, 05:36:18 PM
That sounds like that Bally Singh chap. A 12 mins frequency isn't much different from the current I suppose. But it'll be a long route all-told, will it be any more reliable for the residents of Allesley Park? Might it be quicker for those in that area, to get off in town and grab another service to the Hospital (rather than face a long and winding route via Stoke/Stoke Aldermoor et-al).

So no service at all for Aldermoor Lane, Bolingbroke Rd and those two bus stops on the northern section of Humber Rd? (that's at least 3 bus shelters being made redundant).

Bally it certainly was!, only key points along the route were highlighted - the exact route between Blue Coat School and The Moorfield remains unclear but I will hope it'll go via the traditional Bolingbroke Road - in the hope that local residents still know how to park their vehicles properly.

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on August 15, 2019, 05:51:45 PM
Bally it certainly was!, only key points along the route were highlighted - the exact route between Blue Coat School and The Moorfield remains unclear but I will hope it'll go via the traditional Bolingbroke Road - in the hope that local residents still know how to park their vehicles properly.

That's basically back to the old 3/4 route until a load of variations sprang up! If you are going to run every 12 mins, you may as well run it every 10 - but I bet it saves at least one bus on the PVR.

Do we have any more details on the truncated 5? - will it even go as far as the Everdon Rd/Holbrook Lane area.

highland

Separately, looking in a bit more detail at the registration changes:
- the 11U is no more.
- while the 16/16A/16S becomes just the 16, being only the Keresley side, the 23 drops the 23A but keeps a 23S - so I presume that the 16S will just become the 23S, now that the old 23S is becoming the 57.
- the new 10 registration (Bell Green, WBP/Tile Hill South) includes a 10A and a 10S. The current 10A (school service) might be renumbered as the 10S, freeing the 10A up for some kind of variation of the route.
- the new 4 (Uni Hospital, WBP/Tile Hill South) includes a 4A too, so it looks like there'll be some sort of variation. I'd imagine that most 4 journeys will continue along the old 18 route (given the reference in the consultation to a frequency increase and a direct uni hospital link), but it's still not immediately clear what's happening with the Tile Hill leg of the 5 and the ex-18A all-day WBP service - they could be part of any of the 4A, the 10, or the 10A.

highland

Oh, and the old 19 should be in there too somewhere.

highland

Spoke seconds too soon, the 19 is becoming the 4A...

highland

Okay, some new timetables are online!
3 3A
4A see last post
5 7

highland

highland

A few observations:
- the 5 is still going to Arena Park every 30 minutes on weekdays! In the peak, though, the 5 goes to every 20m, and only every other bus goes beyond Burnaby Road. No service to/from Arena Park before about 7am and after about 8pm.
- the 7 is every 30m during the day, then every 20m during the peak.
- 5/7 every 20m combined on Sundays, one to Brownshill Green, one to Arena Park, one to Burnaby Road.
- the 4 is every 15m throughout the whole route, which is a doubling of frequency on the old 18 route. Every 30m in the evenings and on Sundays on the Uni Hospital half, only hourly on the Tile Hill half.
- the 4 (18) has lost timing points at Village Hotel and Bradney Green.
- the 4A is the old 19, timings appear to be nearly identical.
- the 3/3A is every 10m combined, which is the same as the old 23/23A frequency but sees the Arena Park half of the old 4 go from every 15 to every 10 minutes. Combined half-hourly on evenings and Sundays.
- I can't see any major changes to the 6/6A.

paulb1973

Quote from: highland on August 15, 2019, 06:25:38 PM
Okay, some new timetables are online!
3 3A
4A see last post
5 7

With the number 2 being 'free' - suppose it could have been 2/3 rather than 3/3A. We've had that combination there before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk