News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

fun on the bus back it the day

Started by danny, August 07, 2013, 08:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danny

This is a chat to discuss a lighter side of life, things that were fun or out of the ordinary, so from swinging arround the pole on the old bct crosleys, chirpy drivers/conductors, antics on the school bus, however funny or a little naughty just silly things, no judging or "how dare you do that", this if for a giggle, we were all youmg and reckless once.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Liverpool Street

I remember me and a chum trying to kick an old leather football over passing buses as a kid, sometimes a straight leg kick just pushed it into a constant bearing with the buses front wheel! Well that game was short lived when the old man would come out the house and give us a clip round the ear for losing yet another ball.

But it was different back then. With our school caps and shorts.

It'll be interesting to hear Mike Yarlwood's fun loving youth stories.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

windy miller

Quote from: Liverpool Street on August 07, 2013, 09:23:23 PM
I remember me and a chum trying to kick an old leather football over passing buses as a kid, sometimes a straight leg kick just pushed it into a constant bearing with the buses front wheel! Well that game was short lived when the old man would come out the house and give us a clip round the ear for losing yet another ball.

But it was different back then. With our school caps and shorts.

It'll be interesting to hear Mike Yarlwood's fun loving youth stories.

When a young schoolboy was found to be drinking alcohol on the upper deck the conductress told him to stop. When she later found him with a 'fag'on she said.."What...Smoking as well!..do you want to get me into trouble???  Fine! said the boy....what time do you finish? :o :o :o
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

B61 ANDREW

Continuing the schooldays theme . . . . Trying to change the destination blinds when sitting up front , upstairs , on a D9 on the 144.

WMT3000

I used to like changing the rear destination to ASS on the old roller blinds. So childish, I know. But to be fair I was pretty young at the time.

Also playing "kerbie" as kids I think it was 5 points if you could hit the kerb by throwing the ball over a double decker. Those were the days.

don

I once travelled into Birmingham on the prototype Walsall Fleetline, 1L (1 UDH) on the 118 (forerunner to the 51, then WMPTE operated entirely and worked from Walsall and Sheepcote St garages). On approaching the hump canal bridge just before Lancaster Circus, the bus appeared to be travelling at full speed. It went over the bridge without slowing - I was on the upper deck at the back and the few passengers all left their seats vertically - sitting at the back my head actually hit the ceiling - this launching effect occurring immediately after going over the top of the bridge  :o :-\

Not sure what the driver was on but certainly a memorable experience. The bus was withdrawn in 1974 IIRC - not capable of conversion to one person operation as it had no overhang in front of the front wheels at 25 ft length and always an oddity. It and 56 (XDH 56G) were regulars on the 118 in the early 70s until the union declined to operate 56 (it was 36 ft long). It was repainted and transferred to Hartshill, whose drivers seemed to be willing to operate it.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk