News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

'Dump' areas and the 11

Started by 2206, December 29, 2017, 06:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: MW on January 01, 2018, 05:20:27 AM
Have any of you driven the 11s late night through Stechford?

The nicest bit of the route begins at Bournville and ends at Sarehole Mill (Anti-clockwise)

Rest of it is a dump in comparison. My opinion.
Why, whats happened there?
You might meet the odd unpleasent person there, but thats not realy what everyone in the area is like and its not realy a dump
I've used it nearly most days and have always found Stechford decent anyway, in my opinion.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Trident 4194

The nicest bit of the route begins at Bournville and ends at Sarehole Mill (Anti-clockwise)

How many fare dodgers did you encounter whilst driving the 11? Can you say which locations there was the most fare dodgers?

MasterPlan

Nothing wrong with Harborne and Selly Oak.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

MW

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 01, 2018, 09:43:23 AM
How many fare dodgers did you encounter whilst driving the 11? Can you say which locations there was the most fare dodgers?

The section between Stechford & Erdington on the 11A, without a doubt. Closely followed by Erdington to Bearwood.

City Road is a particular sh*thole come to think of it. Bloody George Dixon School. I'm sure 2900 & the PE drivers on here can relate with the 80/127/8/9.

That's the worst school on the route. Nobody likes the late board that begins at George Dixon on the 11C at about 15:15.

Trident 4194

Quote from: MW on January 01, 2018, 04:18:24 PM
The section between Stechford & Erdington on the 11A, without a doubt. Closely followed by Erdington to Bearwood.

City Road is a particular sh*thole come to think of it. Bloody George Dixon School. I'm sure 2900 & the PE drivers on here can relate with the 80/127/8/9.

That's the worst school on the route. Nobody likes the late board that begins at George Dixon on the 11C at about 15:15.

Yeah city road isn't very nice at all, had plenty of experiences back in the day going too city hospital, and used it for a bit to handsworth before realising there was a much nicer alternative in the form of the number 16

MW

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 01, 2018, 04:31:40 PM
Yeah city road isn't very nice at all, had plenty of experiences back in the day going too city hospital, and used it for a bit to handsworth before realising there was a much nicer alternative in the form of the number 16

I make it sound bad, but to balance everything out, this is why the 11 is one of the best routes. Picture this, you're running late in convoy with about 3 other buses which is a regular thing, and the rush hour is beginning to clear up. Now you've got about 3 late buses, most likely all terminating at Acocks Green Village to finish in garage due to the end of the peak. As an enthusiast, this is where it gets frikin awesome. You'll just have Geminis after Geminis in full thrash and hopefully cooling fans blaring. That's my favourite bit lmao. I don't know what the 11 would be without Geminis. Even the Crimson ones don't sound the same anymore, with all that e-fan stuff.

j789

Quote from: MW on January 01, 2018, 04:40:12 PM
I make it sound bad, but to balance everything out, this is why the 11 is one of the best routes. Picture this, you're running late in convoy with about 3 other buses which is a regular thing, and the rush hour is beginning to clear up. Now you've got about 3 late buses, most likely all terminating at Acocks Green Village to finish in garage due to the end of the peak. As an enthusiast, this is where it gets frikin awesome. You'll just have Geminis after Geminis in full thrash and hopefully cooling fans blaring. That's my favourite bit lmao. I don't know what the 11 would be without Geminis. Even the Crimson ones don't sound the same anymore, with all that e-fan stuff.

I don't think anything will beat the Metrobuses for the 11 route, seeing 5,6,7 or even more running together was a sight to behold, particularly when there was a mix of MK1,11 AND 11A versions on the route circa year 2000. Best buses was PB 2039 and 2400, which I think is actually still going somewhere. The Metros were just special in every way and perfect on that route.

Squiz1971

Quote from: j789 on January 01, 2018, 07:59:04 PM
I don't think anything will beat the Metrobuses for the 11 route, seeing 5,6,7 or even more running together was a sight to behold, particularly when there was a mix of MK1,11 AND 11A versions on the route circa year 2000. Best buses was PB 2039 and 2400, which I think is actually still going somewhere. The Metros were just special in every way and perfect on that route.
2400 is with G H Watts in their bed white livery looking really smart for a bus 35 years old @j789

Jack

Quote from: MW on January 01, 2018, 04:40:12 PM
I agree with you, I've always like the 11 for the Gemini's (Presidents too, the ALX400's too now, they often blare their fans round, 4300 is one). Riding them on roads like Aston Lane, City Road and Rookery Road etc are great for the fans to echo down. Once I've been in Acocks Green Village when there was convoy of three NIS 11 branded Gemini's all heading up Westley Road, presumably they were late and doing 11E's and finishing at the Village. The line (in order) was 4679, 4665, 4508 (blaring its fans) with the exception of 4653 (still in red/white at this point) which was swapped off the 37 with an E200 MMC for a fault. This was at some point in March/April 2016.

Trident 4194

Slightly off topic: what routes from each garage are usually for the newbies? From my understanding the longer you work there the more choice of routes you get?

Dom

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 02, 2018, 02:42:41 PM
Slightly off topic: what routes from each garage are usually for the newbies? From my understanding the longer you work there the more choice of routes you get?

Pensnett Starter Rota: 120,140,241,276
Wolverhampton Starter Rota (Bilston): 11,25,27,79,81,82.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Dom on January 02, 2018, 03:40:58 PM
Pensnett Starter Rota: 120,140,241,276
Wolverhampton Starter Rota (Bilston): 11,25,27,79,81,82.

PN routes quite good then actually- at least there not punished by e200s on 243/244. 241/140 would have thought is one of PN best routes!

CL

may be wrong, but iirc, PB's starter routes were 7, 16, 65 & 101
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

DJ

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 02, 2018, 03:45:32 PM
PN routes quite good then actually- at least there not punished by e200s on 243/244. 241/140 would have thought is one of PN best routes!

The 276 is a nice route too, I use it fairly regularly to visit family near Quarry Bank, it has some really nice roads and goes through some nice areas on the section between Dudley and Merry Hill, and I don't remember the route past there being bad either. The only downside is how busy it can get at times, with the amount of people going to Merry Hill.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Jack

Quote from: DJ98 on January 02, 2018, 05:36:57 PM
The 276 is a nice route too, I use it fairly regularly to visit family near Quarry Bank, it has some really nice roads and goes through some nice areas on the section between Dudley and Merry Hill, and I don't remember the route past there being bad either. The only downside is how busy it can get at times, with the amount of people going to Merry Hill.
I enjoyed riding the Merc's on the 276. A nice long journey of thrash and beasts. 1707 was one of my favourites on the 276, glad to hear it was preserved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk