News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Missing publicity in Travelshops

Started by Westy, December 27, 2018, 06:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markcf83

Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Stuharris 6360

To be honest in this case, bus operators need to decide what they are doing.

They can either

1. stop producing timetables, maps and other relevant items 

OR

2. Carry on producing then but they should ensure that upto date literature is always as far as is practicable available.

Although it has been said that most people these days are internet literate, don't forget elderly or disabled people who may find souring the information on the internet difficult.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Kevin

It's unfortunately a thing that us enthusiasts will have taken away from us in due time. Regardless of what "we" would like, generally there's no real need for paper copies of maps and timetables.

However.
There is definitely still a need for them either on display or available online to view/download/print as desired. Because despite the benefits of Google and the various apps to "help" plan one's journey, nothing will beat a proper, regularly updated, map.

Take Banbury, and Oxfordshire in general (biased, I now live there)
Stagecoach produce their own stuff, and is available on the bus, and to be fair is damn good. Within the city of Oxford there are maps available as part of the Smart Zone leaflet, but that misses out some services that don't accept those tickets.

But there is no evidence of any other routes available outside that. I know there's a bus in Banbury numbered B1 but only with some digging on the web do I know where it goes, and that's only because I know where to look. I also think that some villages along my commute to Kidlington have some sort of minibus service, because I've seen another service mentioned underneath the S4 at bus stops, but without getting off to study it Christ knows where they go or if they're even up to date, as there's bus stops here in Banbury mentioning routes that don't exist anymore.

Long may maps continue, paper ideally but I'd accept in virtual form, and NWM are the best ones I've come across.
Physical timetables I'm less convinced, as long as the stops have decent info on display there's no real need anymore
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Ian Hardy

Quote from: Kevin on December 28, 2018, 09:14:39 PM
It's unfortunately a thing that us enthusiasts will have taken away from us in due time. Regardless of what "we" would like, generally there's no real need for paper copies of maps and timetables.

However.
There is definitely still a need for them either on display or available online to view/download/print as desired. Because despite the benefits of Google and the various apps to "help" plan one's journey, nothing will beat a proper, regularly updated, map.

Long may maps continue, paper ideally but I'd accept in virtual form, and NWM are the best ones I've come across.
Physical timetables I'm less convinced, as long as the stops have decent info on display there's no real need anymore

A printed map is required, as my mobile phone will only show a small 6cm x 10cm area of a downloaded map from the internet, not much good when you are trying to look at all the routes say from Birmingham City Centre to Sutton Coldfield which including the 907 via Perry Barr and the X14 via Walmley, on the Network West Midlands Birmingham printed map requires a 33cm x 20cm piece of paper. It is bad enough when I print out the Birmingham map on A3 paper, that is difficult to read.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Kevin on December 28, 2018, 09:14:39 PM
I also think that some villages along my commute to Kidlington have some sort of minibus service, because I've seen another service mentioned underneath the S4 at bus stops, but without getting off to study it Christ knows where they go or if they're even up to date, as there's bus stops here in Banbury mentioning routes that don't exist anymore.

This is Our Bus Bartons - http://ourbusbartons.btck.co.uk/ - a community bus service started a while after an Oxfordshire CC-funded link, S4C (operated by Stagecoach) between Deddington, Duns Tew and Middle Barton was withdrawn in 2016.  Glad to see it's successful.

Kevin

Quote from: Justin Tyme on December 29, 2018, 10:33:57 PM
This is Our Bus Bartons - http://ourbusbartons.btck.co.uk/ - a community bus service started a while after an Oxfordshire CC-funded link, S4C (operated by Stagecoach) between Deddington, Duns Tew and Middle Barton was withdrawn in 2016.  Glad to see it's successful.

All well and good. But how is anyone to know about it? Which is kinda the point, without a map showing there is a bus serving those areas people will think there is nothing beyond the S4
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Kevin on December 29, 2018, 10:49:35 PM
All well and good. But how is anyone to know about it? Which is kinda the point, without a map showing there is a bus serving those areas people will think there is nothing beyond the S4

I know what you mean - Oxfordshire used to produce a good bus map a few years ago.  But unfortunately, as you may know, in 2016 Oxfordshire County Council decided to stop funding any bus services (except developer-funded services provided through 'Section 106') and doesn't provide any publicity for them, even on its website.

Our Bus Bartons is a charity run by volunteers and its main purpose is to provide transport from remote villages to nearby towns or bus routes, and back home again, rather than the other way round (which I imagine would be a very very small market), so I expect there isn't the demand to justify them adding a map.  However, in the regrettable absence of a county map, information and route maps for Our Bus Bartons services are available on Traveline - http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/ - type in a village in the Location field or even plan a journey from, say, Birmingham.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk