News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Oxfordshire Subsidies

Started by Adam 404, March 11, 2016, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam 404

https://consultations.oxfordshire.gov.uk/consult.ti/stconsultation/consultationHome

Very worrying that all their subsidies are being cut - Or at least most of them.

(Document of all services getting the axe)

Will companies step in to save some of the routes?

Opinions welcome.

D10

Shocking news for some areas. Certainly some villages and town estates will lose all their remaining bus services if all subsidies are cut

Justin Tyme

It's very sad that this is happening - although I appreciate that with Government funding cut so massively, and the law requiring Councils to balance the books, significant reductions are unfortunately inevitable.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few commercial registrations at the fringes.  In Banbury, for example, perhaps Stagecoach might try to run the B5 town service commercially on Friday and Saturday evenings.  Also, some cross-boundary services might be retained by the other funding County Council but rerouted direct from the county boundary to the destination, rather than calling into Oxfordshire villages off the main road.  And the odd town service could possibly be partly replaced by rerouting a longer commercial service if it doesn't put off through passengers.

However, it looks bad for most subsidised services.  There may be a backlash that forces a change of mind over some routes in a few months' time.  I hope so, anyway.

In theory, once the Government decides that the country has balanced the books, there ought to be some money available to increase Council spending in a few years' time.  But I can't see that happening.

Ossie

Dorset is another county where subsidised rural bus routes are being withdrawn from this April.  They have targeted the "once or twice a week" services.

If you know the area a little (as I do), the .pdf map makes sobering reading - many communities will be losing their buses entirely.

https://www.dorsetforyou.com/travel-dorset/2016-bus-review

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk