News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Stevensons

Started by PM, December 28, 2015, 10:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveminor

Petes initially had 4 night buses then won 2 night bus contracts  at the same time as the competition with the 50 started petes then expanded the night network to cover all of wmt s 5 mins ahead. After only a few months wmt withdrew the night buses & petes withdrew the 50

winston

Quote from: Steveminor on December 30, 2015, 06:08:49 PM
Petes initially had 4 night buses then won 2 night bus contracts  at the same time as the competition with the 50 started petes then expanded the night network to cover all of wmt s 5 mins ahead. After only a few months wmt withdrew the night buses & petes withdrew the 50

I used to use Pete's Travel on the 9N from Broad St, I think it was MRW before that

Stu

Quote from: Winston on December 30, 2015, 07:09:09 PM
I used to use Pete's Travel on the 9N from Broad St, I think it was MRW before that

I used the 9N only a couple of times, full of drunk passengers, should have been a horrible experience, but most were having a jolly sing-song in good spirits. Ah the good old days, before violence!  :-\
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

winston

Quote from: Stu on December 30, 2015, 07:33:53 PM
I used the 9N only a couple of times, full of drunk passengers, should have been a horrible experience, but most were having a jolly sing-song in good spirits. Ah the good old days, before violence!  :-\

@Stu that's exactly how I remember the 9N  ;D

Steveminor

The 9n was by far the best one at one point petes ran it every 15 mins.

PM

In the set of leaflets I've got (1990 to 1996), their WM foray appears to have started with the presumably commercial 526 (Wolverhampton to Stowlawn) and supported 639 (West Brom-Walsall via Wednesbury and Darlaston). (8th Jan 1990 leaflet) I then have a 15th July 1991 leaflet for Dudley, Halesowen and Bromsgrove. As mentioned, 202/3/4 are being operated by Stevensons then along with 223/4 and a 642 circular (Dudley-Uplands Road-Warrens Hall). By 1992, the 522 (similar to 22 today) had begun, 526 still going, along with 613 (Northwood Park circular) and services to Kinver. By June 1992, WM presence in Dudley and Sandwell had increased yet further, Saturdays only 200 shuttling between Dudley and Merry Hill, 688 (121) all added along with limited service on the 441 (Oldbury-Halesowen via Brandhall). Strange route 459 also seemed to have begun by then, slow route between WB and Quinton, daytime journeys continuing to Birmingham. Didn't Pete's Travel later run this?

By December 1993, they were on the 94 every 20 minutes plus the 974 every 30 mins Wednesbury to Birmingham and really upping their presence. 1993 also saw the 276 every hour from Dudley to Timbertree and later journeys added on 688. 687 is also mentioned (Dudley-Tipton-Wednesbury), presumably supported?

By early 1994, 238 West Brom-Wollaston Farm (odd route?!) was added every 30 mins, 441/2 enhanced, 444 (Londonderry-Smethwick) added. 644 (West Brom-Tipton) now being run every hour as well plus 678 (WB- Greets Green-Dudley) and 686/7 Dudley to Wednesbury. 974 Dudley to Birmingham every 30 mins had been added as well! By this point Stevensons really did have a big presence, especially in the Sandwell area.

Interesting by this point they were on the 303 before the Busy Bus Company (part of Pete's Travel) got it. Walsall-Highgate-Delves-Hough Road 636/7 was running as well in 1994.

My last 1994 timetable is the Birmingham one from August 1994 which shows a Carters Green-WB-Birmingham service 81 running every 15 mins as well. Interesting they were also on the 649/650 before Lionspeed got that contract.

All in all, a fascinating operation and a real expansion into the WB area with some of those 6-- routes run by NX now under different numbers and other supported routes largely similar but some very interesting ones that no longer exist. All before my time but definitely interesting to find out about. They did seem to compete on numerous different and perhaps unlikely routes vs what Petes Travel and BCC chose. After the sale of the WM operation (doubt that would have been possible today!!) they seemed to just have presence in from Lichfield, Burton and Uttoxeter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk