News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus Videos

Started by Ashley, July 12, 2012, 06:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bensweeney14

Quote from: Ronnoc on May 25, 2016, 08:33:19 PM
A video of 6103 with kickdown usage.

Kidzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz of today. E400MMC's are excellent buses, but do not have kickdown, mainly because of the gear ratio..
Regards, Ben.
My Transport Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/92414404@N08/

MW

Quote from: Tony on June 15, 2016, 06:36:40 PM
And as you slowly release the accelerator the speed drops which is why it changes down when you 'floor it' so you have completely defeated the object anyway as you are starting from a lower speed and then it changes up again. The reason you get the high revs is because when you push the acceleration to the floor the flywheel hasn't gripped properly from cruising, so you are causing unneccessary wear without actually gaining any extra speed or acceleration

Lol it doesn't defeat the object, the object is to get it to rev higher, which it does. It definitely does pull faster though.

Also another thing with the MMCs, every bus does this, but compared to the B7TLs, it's much better. At the lights, handbrake on, rev upto about 1200rpm, and launch it by releasing the handbrake. These things fly in first gear and get upto about 20MPH very quick. Blows a Gemini off the lights (and yes we've tried this out).

Tony

Quote from: MW on June 15, 2016, 07:00:49 PM
Lol it doesn't defeat the object, the object is to get it to rev higher, which it does. It definitely does pull faster though.

Also another thing with the MMCs, every bus does this, but compared to the B7TLs, it's much better. At the lights, handbrake on, rev upto about 1200rpm, and launch it by releasing the handbrake. These things fly in first gear and get upto about 20MPH very quick. Blows a Gemini off the lights (and yes we've tried this out).

How to wreck the flywheel and various other parts of the bus and while it feels faster because you are making that noise, it isn't. What you are doing is the same as in a manual car reving the guts out of it with the clutch half released very silly, very dangerous (risks overheating and fire) and if that was your driving technique then companies are better without you.

You will actually find the 0-30mph is no different because the only gain is the very small amount of time until the flywheel catches.

bensweeney14

A Gemini (And most other buses...) would out run an E200 thing anyway, no matter how hard you rev it..
Regards, Ben.
My Transport Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/92414404@N08/

MW

Quote from: Tony on June 15, 2016, 07:10:37 PM
How to wreck the flywheel and various other parts of the bus and while it feels faster because you are making that noise, it isn't. What you are doing is the same as in a manual car reving the guts out of it with the clutch half released very silly, very dangerous (risks overheating and fire) and if that was your driving technique then companies are better without you.

Harsh words bro. Plenty of drivers rag the buses. Have a look at the data when running dead from Solihull to Garage, you'll see the harsh braking and acceleration on the traffliog. Plenty of drivers also "race" too, when late. The staff showing us the traffliog data confirmed this.

Yeah I know the mechanical issues it'll cause but let's face it, most drivers want a breakdown, and don't give a monkeys on the welfare of the vehicle because they're not paying for it. Another bit of data you should be able to access is the location of breakdowns, and on the 11 I'm sure you'll be able to tell how many are conviently around Perry Barr to Bearwood (the furthest from the depot) compared to more locally. 

Quote from: Tony on June 15, 2016, 07:10:37 PM
because the only gain is the very small amount of time

I'm glad you agree

P419 EJW

T840MAK

First Potteries 66843. A proper B7RLE...:
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

P419 EJW

My video of the preserved MCW Metrobus mk2 2957 (D957 NDA) on the journey from the Aston Manor museum to Sutton Coldfield:

P419 EJW

Here is my video of Dennis Trident 2/Alexander ALX400 4185 (Y789 TOH) on the X1 on 24th January 2019:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk