News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Petition to get Diamond out of Redditch

Started by tank90, October 08, 2015, 10:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tank90

As some on here maybe aware since September changes in Redditch the service has gotten worse not better. This is in part to the confusing 47/48 route, confusing due to the fact there is a 47 short and 48 short that is only apparent if the display is programmed with the route. Secondly the 47/48 cover near enough the whole town, yes its not a city but it's a large town and we suffer from traffic problems from time to time. The idea is a good idea but in practice it needed the 55H and 56H left as it was coupled with the 47/48.
Diamond also need to improve reliability of the fleet in Redditch and the driver knowledge as people are getting feed up with drivers not knowing where they are going.

Yes the petition sounds a little extreme but when you don't see a bus for 1hr 30 mins have to send a son to first school on his own in a taxi so you can get to work it doesn't sound so extreme. Asda know in all there stores in the West Midlands where Redditch staff are training that Diamond Redditch isn't great. I have been late to work because of Diamond luckily Asda have been ok with it so far, people attending interviews and Magic have been late due to Diamond and Asda have not had a go at those people they have said get here as quickly as you can.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

BK63 YWP

Asdas been sending them to dudley to train too
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

tank90

Quote from: Chris on October 08, 2015, 10:50:21 PM
Asdas been sending them to dudley to train too

I know we have been taking over a lot of stores lol. Bromsgrove, Halesowen, Great Bridge and a few others. I must say we are having fun working with our colleagues across our sister stores whilst training.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

StourportSam

And how do you envisage a petition would actually get Rotala out of Redditch - a business which they own?

tank90

Quote from: StourportSam on October 10, 2015, 07:57:42 PM
And how do you envisage a petition would actually get Rotala out of Redditch - a business which they own?

I was simply saying there is a group of people trying to get one together.

If I'm honest Diamond West Midlands is bad at keeping to timetables. The colleagues at Halesowen Asda avoid Diamond like the plague. The time keeping at Redditch is very poor.

Dan

vinh1000

Quote from: tank90 on October 08, 2015, 11:23:24 PM
I know we have been taking over a lot of stores lol. Bromsgrove, Halesowen, Great Bridge and a few others. I must say we are having fun working with our colleagues across our sister stores whilst training.
OOh maybe might see you aha

Only work over the water at Shirley but might be transferring to Redditch
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

the trainbasher

@tank90 I have to rely on diamond for part my commute to work and if I had a fiver for every time the 226 of there's ran late, I'd be able to retire at the grand old age of 24!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

tank90

Quote from: vinh1000 on October 10, 2015, 09:57:41 PM
OOh maybe might see you aha

Only work over the water at Shirley but might be transferring to Redditch

Cool :)

What department do you work in?

Quote from: the trainbasher on October 10, 2015, 10:08:45 PM
@tank90 I have to rely on diamond for part my commute to work and if I had a fiver for every time the 226 of there's ran late, I'd be able to retire at the grand old age of 24!

Snap, I'm now going with a friend to to town rather than getting the bus.

P.S. If anyone else would like to know about me working at Asda please PM me so as not to clog up this post.

Dan

j789

Diamond in the news again in Redditch. Really doesn't look good for them with all this bad publicity.

http://redditchstandard.co.uk/news/latest-proposal-improve-diamond-buses-lose-licence/

Redditch people used to complain about First but they never were threatened with anything like this. What the hell has happened over the last few years to end up like this???

My opinion is Diamond were better off in competition, not having the monopoly. Sounds daft but I think they may have bitten off more than they can chew there.

winston

I don't understand why Redditch has so many on-going issues, the operation is half the size of Tividale. I don't see how Diamond could have bitten off more than they can chew, it should be good bus territory having the potential to generate good margins

j789

Quote from: Winston on January 08, 2016, 09:16:13 PM
I don't understand why Redditch has so many on-going issues, the operation is half the size of Tividale. I don't see how Diamond could have bitten off more than they can chew, it should be good bus territory having the potential to generate good margins

Historically it has been good bus territory but that all changed when Petes Travel then Diamond moved in and both companies started working on minimising overheads. No investment at all in order to keep costs low. This unfortunately has not changed under Diamond, as even though all the First Lances etc have gone, most were replaced by Darts which are well over 10 years old. Redditch could be a great opportunity for someone, but it needs a huge investment of new buses - not the odd couple of B7s bought secondhand. That is going to cost anyone  a lot of money, hence why I think First went.  Even for 40 vehicles, you would be talking £6million +. The only two companies that could really make it work, having the finance to do it, would be NXWM (who I think would be best suited) or Stagecoach. Unfortunately, with the situation now, so many people have given up on the bus there in the last 10 years, it may not even be worth it.

Reece

Quote from: j789 on January 08, 2016, 09:26:46 PM
Historically it has been good bus territory but that all changed when Petes Travel then Diamond moved in and both companies started working on minimising overheads. No investment at all in order to keep costs low. This unfortunately has not changed under Diamond, as even though all the First Lances etc have gone, most were replaced by Darts which are well over 10 years old. Redditch could be a great opportunity for someone, but it needs a huge investment of new buses - not the odd couple of B7s bought secondhand. That is going to cost anyone  a lot of money, hence why I think First went.  Even for 40 vehicles, you would be talking £6million +. The only two companies that could really make it work, having the finance to do it, would be NXWM (who I think would be best suited) or Stagecoach. Unfortunately, with the situation now, so many people have given up on the bus there in the last 10 years, it may not even be worth it.
Yes but there are ways of getting customers back on buses with stuff like free wifi, comfy seating and power points but again this would cost a lots of money. But I still really do think First Bus did the wrong thing selling Redditch they didn't give it enough time to turn it around and left the people of Redditch and Kidderminster with a rotting away bus service which is slowly dying. Today the service in the 2 areas is much like a rotting tree and even more so since Whittle Bus went and I am beginning to wonder if it can be saved at all has the rot gone to deep?? :( :'(

I know it is hard to understand my sympathy but if you lived in Kidderminster or Redditch area you would understand why...

Bryan

Quote from: j789 on January 08, 2016, 08:56:16 PM
Diamond in the news again in Redditch. Really doesn't look good for them with all this bad publicity.

http://redditchstandard.co.uk/news/latest-proposal-improve-diamond-buses-lose-licence/

What I find surprising/amusing about the article is the image of one of the newest vehicles in the fleet, combined with the quote from Worcestershire County Council Labour leader Peter McDonald (Rubery, North Ward), ......... "They cannot go on using old buses that really are not fit for purpose and leave people stranded," .........

A very poor choice of photographs for the article.

MW

And I'm starting there in a few weeks lol

winston

Quote from: j789 on January 08, 2016, 09:26:46 PM

The Diamond fleets at both Redditch & Kidderminster are far more modern under Rotala compared with First. Rotala are a smaller group compared with First and don't earn the profits margins of large groups. That said they did buy 5 new DF Streetlites in 2013, have added additional DF new & used examples plus drafted in a number of WF examples & there are a further 8 new DF Streetlites due in Feb this year.

I don't think any other group would come in & replace the majority of the fleet with new, there are always ways to grow passenger numbers, the first issue to address is being consistant & providing a reliable service.

NXWM had the opportunity to buy RH & KR but didn't conclude for whatever reason

Quote from: MW on January 08, 2016, 10:26:50 PM
And I'm starting there in a few weeks lol

Diamond Redditch is definitely screwed now  :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk