News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus Usage in the West Midlands

Started by Bryan, October 03, 2015, 01:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

An article today from the Express & Star:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/10/03/numbers-using-the-bus-in-west-midlands-hits-30-year-low/

As for the article and comments made on the fares, I disagree, they are good value for money in my opinion compared to other areas of the country. Many seem to forget (or don't care) about the cost of a vehicle, driver, fuel and maintenance + overheads. I suppose some consider it expensive compared to driving a cheap unlicensed and uninsured car without an MOT. Also the time spent getting through traffic is hardly a problem of going by bus, these days it is a fact of life all over the country when going by car.

As for the condition of many buses and other passenger behavior, several points are valid. 

Overall though, not an article I am impressed with!

Stu

Typical 'bus-bashing' nonsense from the E&S I see!  :D

As for bad behaviour of kids and other passengers, well that is not the fault of the bus companies really as it is not their job to bring up kids responsibly and to teach people the virtues of good manners, respect and consideration for other people.

I agree with you though, that buses are not expensive, especially round here nowadays. My monthly pass works out to around £1.80 a day, which I feel is brilliant value for money; bus travel is only expensive if you don't buy the right ticket; if I bought single tickets each time I caught the bus then yes, it would be expensive!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

barry619

Quote from: Bryan on October 03, 2015, 01:44:39 PM
As for the article and comments made on the fares, I disagree, they are good value for money in my opinion compared to other areas of the country. Many seem to forget (or don't care) about the cost of a vehicle, driver, fuel and maintenance + overheads.

Of course they don't realise any of that. The comments sections of local papers are overrun with their ilk, people who simply do not have the foggiest idea about the issue they're passing judgement on and/or who simply must find something to moan about at all costs.

The whiner on there who thinks £2 is a lot to pay should try catching a bus in some of the southern counties of England. It's not unusual to pay double that for a journey of less than 30 minutes.

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Stu on October 03, 2015, 01:58:43 PM
Typical 'bus-bashing' nonsense from the E&S I see!  :D

As for bad behaviour of kids and other passengers, well that is not the fault of the bus companies really as it is not their job to bring up kids responsibly and to teach people the virtues of good manners, respect and consideration for other people.

I agree with you though, that buses are not expensive, especially round here nowadays. My monthly pass works out to around £1.80 a day, which I feel is brilliant value for money; bus travel is only expensive if you don't buy the right ticket; if I bought single tickets each time I caught the bus then yes, it would be expensive!

I echo this statement.

I know people who have told me to ditch my habitual habit of catching buses and instead focus on car driving. I admit whole heartily their are some circumstances  which a car is better (i.e shopping, going with family) but for going to work or just commuting, I have to choose the bus as the ideal transport, their are many dedicated lanes which helps speed the journey. The cost only includes purchasing a pass which usually allows unlimited journeys within the timelimit. I can't even begin to go into the cost of a car and all those "extra costs" ! 
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

arrifirststage

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on October 04, 2015, 09:35:40 PM
I echo this statement.

I know people who have told me to ditch my habitual habit of catching buses and instead focus on car driving. I admit whole heartily their are some circumstances  which a car is better (i.e shopping, going with family) but for going to work or just commuting, I have to choose the bus as the ideal transport, their are many dedicated lanes which helps speed the journey. The cost only includes purchasing a pass which usually allows unlimited journeys within the timelimit. I can't even begin to go into the cost of a car and all those "extra costs" !
I agree with your comments but.........of you do have a car,then the fixed costs are there whether you use it or not.
Your true bus travel cost is not just the fare but also the fixed car costs for the time you are travelling,even though the car may only be decorating your driveway at home.
I have been a bus enthusiast for over 70 years,but now regard buses as very much a second choice,Mostly for anti-social behaviour by many passengers and not any fault of the operators at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk