News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

New Deliveries / New Livery & Branding Discussion

Started by barry, March 06, 2015, 10:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

Interesting the article says some of these new buses for Solihull, so the cynic in me says that will be yet ANOTHER upgrade for the Warwick Rd corridor when other main Rd BUSY corridors in Brum , haven't had decent new buses assigned for Christ knows how long as just get cast offs. Nx bus appears to operate a bit like a Tory government poor fair distribution of resources. Right rant over presentation to finish before the weekend. Happy days.

winston

Quote from: monkeyjoe on November 23, 2018, 04:47:28 PM
Interesting the article says some of these new buses for Solihull, so the cynic in me says that will be yet ANOTHER upgrade for the Warwick Rd corridor when other main Rd BUSY corridors in Brum , haven't had decent new buses assigned for Christ knows how long as just get cast offs. Nx bus appears to operate a bit like a Tory government poor fair distribution of resources. Right rant over presentation to finish before the weekend. Happy days.

No, Warwick Road has been suggested as a possible choice of route for the Hydrogen Fuel Cell buses in partnership with Birmingham City Council and a purpose built depot in Tyseley. New buses get allocated to the routes that generate the most profit, could stimulate passenger growth or in the case of the Electrics / Hydrogen Fuel Cell, areas that were awarded the grant money in the first place / pass through the most polluted areas of the WM.

Not allocated to suit an individual's local route.

Quote from: monkeyjoe on November 23, 2018, 04:47:28 PM
It doesn't say in that article that the Warwick Road is being upgraded, all it says is there will be some operating in Birmingham and Solihull.

Even if the Warwick Road was to get an upgrade it would still free up a fleet of nearly new vehicles, for those other routes elsewhere in the Midlands. Maybe even the Washwood Heath Rd (55).

Quote from: Winston on November 23, 2018, 04:26:44 PM
Confirmed that NXC are due 10 new Electric buses (I assume BYD/E200MMC's as per the one on trial).
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/silent-electric-buses-coming-street-15450471?fbclid=IwAR1GWAbGhzTCDD61gNFJ8Gb18BcpHlWBggqMAgXUtAb11FzBsQvPZbOc54E
Does anyone know when they are due? Will it be next year at some point?
Are the hydrogen vehicles for Birmingham and Solihulll also due to arrive next year?
At one point it was orriginally stated "March 2019" in an article.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

paulb1973

Quote from: Winston on November 23, 2018, 04:26:44 PM
Confirmed that NXC are due 10 new Electric buses (I assume BYD/E200MMC's as per the one on trial).
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/silent-electric-buses-coming-street-15450471?fbclid=IwAR1GWAbGhzTCDD61gNFJ8Gb18BcpHlWBggqMAgXUtAb11FzBsQvPZbOc54E

I note the "within 18 months" - so presumably 2019 (or even 2020). Presumably there is a requirement for more single deckers at Coventry, unless ten older E200's or Volvo B7RLE/Wright's leave when these arrive.

Sayeed

Quote from: paulb1973 on November 23, 2018, 05:18:03 PM
I note the "within 18 months" - so presumably 2019 (or even 2020). Presumably there is a requirement for more single deckers at Coventry, unless ten older E200's or Volvo B7RLE/Wright's leave when these arrive.

Wasn't there some sort of an agreement that Coventry were going to get 15 environmentally friendly hybrids in 2014 order?
Век живи - век учись

paulb1973

Quote from: Sayeed on November 23, 2018, 05:52:32 PM
Wasn't there some sort of an agreement that Coventry were going to get 15 environmentally friendly hybrids in 2014 order?

I'm not sure - but on my own notes, NXWM were expecting to receive '19 Electric buses' (are these 10 part of the 19?).

On a similar theme - are the 10 x Wrights HEV96 gyro drive Hybrid and 22 x Fuel Cell buses still coming? Its all gone quiet on those.

winston

Quote from: paulb1973 on November 23, 2018, 05:59:09 PM

I'm not sure - but on my own notes, NXWM were expecting to receive '19 Electric buses' (are these 10 part of the 19?).

On a similar theme - are the 10 x Wrights HEV96 gyro drive Hybrid and 22 x Fuel Cell buses still coming? Its all gone quiet on those.

I think the Wright Gyro Drive project got scrapped.

paulb1973

Quote from: Winston on November 23, 2018, 06:13:35 PM
I think the Wright Gyro Drive project got scrapped.

There was to be 550 ADL buses purchased over a 4-5 year period - have we hit that target yet?! Must be getting close.

don

Quote from: paulb1973 on November 23, 2018, 06:54:08 PM

There was to be 550 ADL buses purchased over a 4-5 year period - have we hit that target yet?! Must be getting close.

315 E400MMC (to 6967); 50 E200 MMC; 59 E200; 82 E400 (from 4914)
506 vehicles
These are West Midlands/Coventry - not sure if the Dundee Emeralds are included also.
I thought the total contract was 600 vehicles.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on November 23, 2018, 03:37:10 PM
It's strange how everyone has their favourite route that they think is neglected, yes other posts are complaining that routes don't deserve new buses because high spec buses shouldn't be on them.
Some routes have to be operated by 15 year old Geminii and it isn't going to be a route at a garage that doesn't currently operate Volvo B7s because of the training costs of both drivers and engineers

A lot of the arguments on here are missing the key point
Decent seating, WiFi and USB charging ports are standard on new buses these days. So why do new buses have to be "Platinum"? The fleet livery is Crimson, what's the point ordering new buses as Platinum? Yes advertise the features of new buses but there is literally no point having the livery for it now that the features are the norm
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

CL

Quote from: Kevin on November 23, 2018, 09:05:11 PM
A lot of the arguments on here are missing the key point
Decent seating, WiFi and USB charging ports are standard on new buses these days. So why do new buses have to be "Platinum"? The fleet livery is Crimson, what's the point ordering new buses as Platinum? Yes advertise the features of new buses but there is literally no point having the livery for it now that the features are the norm
I guess in this transitional period – where red/white buses are still going in for Crimsoning – the Platinum livery/brand is vital to keep a visual divide, so to speak, between the buses that offers these features to those that don't.

Additionally, while I agree with your point (for the most part), I wouldn't want the fleet to turn into another premium-service-gone-to-pot ordeal. Take Arriva, for example. Not slating their service, but with the majority of their current fleet being/been retrofitted with USB charging points and on-board WiFi – it leaves little differentiation between the 'normal' service, if you will, and that of a *supposedly* higher quality Sapphire service. And while on this topic, whatever happened to Arriva MAX? More to the point, what was that?! ??? No doubt if new NX orders were delivered in Crimson, while still offering Platinum features, bus users using the older bare vehicles would feel, to quote, a bit hard done by.

Just to throw in my twopence, I think new buses – regardless of their allocation – should be a win-win for all. But to immediately contradict my point, I was a little taken aback when I discovered the 50 will be going Platinum. Wouldn't expect a new investment for another few years... Regarding the dilution of NX's Platinum brand, I'll admit that I do feel the same – but mostly due to the buses carrying around adverts and such. It's not the most dire problem, but I think it detracts from the overall aesthetic of a "premium" brand.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

MasterPlan

I still wonder why WiFi wasn't added to the BC Hybrids. I mean the next stop announcements aren't even advertised on the livery which is quite poor in my opinion.
Also perhaps adding WiFi to the 400 MMC/200 MMC for the 11A/C & 4/4A respectively would be a good touch, perhaps also with next stop announcements.
As has already been said things like WiFi on the buses these days is pretty much the norm and it wouldn't devalue the Platinum brand exactly. It would only help drive up patronage surely.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

DJ

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 24, 2018, 06:55:47 AM
I still wonder why WiFi wasn't added to the BC Hybrids. I mean the next stop announcements aren't even advertised on the livery which is quite poor in my opinion.
Also perhaps adding WiFi to the 400 MMC/200 MMC for the 11A/C & 4/4A respectively would be a good touch, perhaps also with next stop announcements.
As has already been said things like WiFi on the buses these days is pretty much the norm and it wouldn't devalue the Platinum brand exactly. It would only help drive up patronage surely.

There's already a precedent too, with the E200s for the 54/54A to Stafford having WiFi. It was advertised externally but I'm not sure if it still is now that they've been crimsoned.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 24, 2018, 06:55:47 AM
I agree, maybe add WiFi and next stop announcements to the E200 MMC on the 6 as well.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

Quote from: 2206 on November 24, 2018, 09:57:43 AM
I agree, maybe add WiFi and next stop announcements to the E200 MMC on the 6 as well.

Yes, the 6 too. With regards to the YW 6, the leaflets after the South Birmingham changes teased a purple branding for it which hasn't happened.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk