News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

New Deliveries / New Livery & Branding Discussion

Started by barry, March 06, 2015, 10:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4194

Are there any reason why nx doesn't order mmcs with the rear facing seats on the upper deck? Just wondering why they didn't when the likes of stagecoach do.

lauren1993

Quote from: Trident 4194 on December 03, 2017, 08:46:26 PM
Are there any reason why nx doesn't order mmcs with the rear facing seats on the upper deck? Just wondering why they didn't when the likes of stagecoach do.
Because nobody orders them like that apart from stagecoach, and I personally think it looks stupid and is really pointless and only increases the likelihood of people ruining them by putting their feet on them anyway. And stagecoach aren't the best operator to be inspired by with their low height crap.
Favourite buses currently:
871, 1828, 4421, 4764, 6101, 6108, 6116, 6118, 6121, 6848, 6849
Least favourite buses currently:
4203, 4213, 4398, 4419

don

Quote from: lauren1993 on December 04, 2017, 04:45:18 AM
Because nobody orders them like that apart from stagecoach.....

This isn't correct - Go South South Coast (More Bus) have them on their Salisbury to Bournemouth express service - with tables also. They're very nice. However this is a longer distance express bus - I tend to agree if NXWM are going to use them on shortish urban services like Harborne etc.

Regarding registrations, it seems to me that car dealers can and do register vehicles locally - in days gone by operators of large fleets would register their vehicles themselves - not sure why they still can't although I guess it saves a lot of admin for the company. I quite like the Sx registrations - after all they're built in Great Britain (Scotland) buses anyway.

Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Stevo

The worst thing about dealer registrations, and it's nothing new, is that you can't tell the previous operator of a bus by a glance at the reg. In the old days a Birmingham reg was probably WM and before that BCT so if you see a Metrobus with a Birmingham reg you know it's almost certainly a WM bus. Though MCW did register vehicles in Birmingham for other operators.

Mike K

This article suggests the new Platinum buses will go up to Yorkshire in early 2018 to be "fitted with smart hybrid engines". I'm assuming they won't be receiving entirely new engines. Are they not currently smart hybrids then?

http://www.birminghamupdates.com/national-express-west-midlands-spends-10m-on-platinum-buses-for-routes-through-harborne/

Tony

Quote from: Mike K on December 04, 2017, 09:57:56 PM
This article suggests the new Platinum buses will go up to Yorkshire in early 2018 to be "fitted with smart hybrid engines". I'm assuming they won't be receiving entirely new engines. Are they not currently smart hybrids then?

http://www.birminghamupdates.com/national-express-west-midlands-spends-10m-on-platinum-buses-for-routes-through-harborne/

They have been delivered as straight diesels and will go up to Plaxtons for the electric motor bit to be fitted next year

CL

Caught a ride on 6855 & 6857, quite impressed with these new buses. I don't think I can fault much. Guess I'll have to wait and see if the micro-hybrid engine affects how these sound, because at the moment, they're sounding pretty beastly.

No rattles (yet :P), but a tad creaky - but what can you expect from a new vehicle? Above all, I must praise the new charging point placement. Nice to know that there are some buses which won't require me to perform a workout to reach the chargers! lol (for anyone yet to sample these, the new chargers are placed on the back of the aisle-passengers' seat in front.) If I did have to fault anything, my pedantry falls with the moulding for the ticket printer; it doesn't sit flush. A shame, but just one minor detail.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

RobQuinton

Its also nice to see them without branding / stickers all over the windows, I doubt that will last.....

MasterPlan

Quote from: Mike K on December 04, 2017, 09:57:56 PM

What road improvements will be made around the QE Hospital and where?
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on December 04, 2017, 10:04:40 PM
They have been delivered as straight diesels and will go up to Plaxtons for the electric motor bit to be fitted next year

Lack of foresight or was that genuinely the plan? Seems a bit strange to be doing it that way
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Mike K

After having a B5, an Enviro 400, a Trident and a B7RLE the first 2 days of this week I got to sample 6861 and 6859 today, the first NX Platinums I've sampled. Impressive, if a little grey compared to the colourful B5 interiors. For me the most attractive feature is the legroom which puts budget airlines to shame.

One question though - has anyone else got the Wifi to work? I couldn't get it to work on either bus.

Quote from: Mike K on December 06, 2017, 06:12:39 PM
After having a B5, an Enviro 400, a Trident and a B7RLE the first 2 days of this week I got to sample 6861 and 6859 today, the first NX Platinums I've sampled. Impressive, if a little grey compared to the colourful B5 interiors. For me the most attractive feature is the legroom which puts budget airlines to shame.

One question though - has anyone else got the Wifi to work? I couldn't get it to work on either bus.
It works on 6701 - 6710 and 6796 - 6854.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Mike K

Quote from: 2206 on December 06, 2017, 06:14:23 PM
It works on 6701 - 6710 and 6796 - 6854.

I was thinking more in terms of this brand new batch. Next stop announcements aren't yet switched on, but you can connect to WiFi - it just doesn't work after that. I understand that these have been rushed into service very quickly and not everything may be ready. Just wondering.

Stu

Quote from: Mike K on December 06, 2017, 06:20:45 PM
I was thinking more in terms of this brand new batch. Next stop announcements aren't yet switched on, but you can connect to WiFi - it just doesn't work after that. I understand that these have been rushed into service very quickly and not everything may be ready. Just wondering.

The onboard wireless router is working if you can connect, but it has probably not had its internet connection set up yet.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

CL

Quote from: Tony on November 27, 2017, 07:23:34 PM
Quote from: CL on November 27, 2017, 06:51:09 PM
Quote from: Stevo on November 27, 2017, 06:07:11 PM
I can't spot any external differences to the previous batch. I expected differences around the engine compartment with the smart hybrid gubbins.
The fuel cap bit is the only noticeable part, for me at least.

On another note,  with the introduction of Platinums on the Harborne corridor, I wonder if it'd be the end of the Phil Upton announcements. :P
Yes, they don't have the autocheck things by the fuel filler, so the surrounding silver panel is smaller

May I add; something else I've noticed, but doesn't seem to have been picked up on.

On the nearside of the (67 plate) bus, nearer the rear, there's no "full grille" as you' find on even the last batch (66 plate). Something I noticed when I caught 6857 on its first day in service. You can see what I mean when you compare the photos of 6854 & 6857.

http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/5001-9959/6854.html
http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/5001-9959/6857.html
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk