News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonic84

Quote from: SO6597 on July 08, 2018, 09:07:03 PM
The 27 was a circular route from 1990 to 1994 although it continued from Hawkesley to Kings Heath via Monyhull Road and the Dawberry Fields estate rather than onto the Maypole. It was numbered A/C with some shorter evening and late night journeys showing 27AE/CE on occasion. It was replaced by an extension of the 35 until the 27 returned in late 2003.

That must have looked odd seeing 27AE or 27CE.

The disadvantage the X routes have is not being able to show E to identify it as a short working. Saying that, is the E suffix necessary when the destinations are on the front and side blinds now.

Kevin

Quote from: sonic84 on July 10, 2018, 06:39:21 PM
That must have looked odd seeing 27AE or 27CE.

The disadvantage the X routes have is not being able to show E to identify it as a short working. Saying that, is the E suffix necessary when the destinations are on the front and side blinds now.

But they do specifically say "short working" on the display, so an E on the number is kinda irrelevant now
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

John

I would still rather have a E on the number though. I know people don't pay attention to the blinds at the best of times but it stands out more than the short journey on the top line. Plenty of times on the X4 shorts I've had to kick people off in Sutton

l.murphy123

Quote from: John on July 10, 2018, 09:11:13 PM
I would still rather have a E on the number though. I know people don't pay attention to the blinds at the best of times but it stands out more than the short journey on the top line. Plenty of times on the X4 shorts I've had to kick people off in Sutton

What specifically do 'A' 'E' and 'X' mean? What are their standard meanings? I know X is express.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Dom

Quote from: l.murphy123 on August 18, 2018, 12:17:53 AM
What specifically do 'A' 'E' and 'X' mean? What are their standard meanings? I know X is express.

E denotes a short working.
A used to kinda mean an extension to the route. For example, the old 581A which only used to run on Sundays, first by TWM then Diamond. Used to be the Dudley-Merry Hill extension.

Nower days, A pretty much just means a variation of the original route. For example, the new 2A, 12A, 13A.

busfan2847

When E was introduced by WMPTE it meant Exception (a short working). This replaced Birmingham's system where the closest turn round to downtown was A the next B and so on. For example on the 50 (city to Maypole) 50J was to Kings Heath only, and 50K was Alcester Lanes End.

A and C were used by WMPTE to signify anticlockwise and clockwise respectively.

With national express WM changing route numbers to be 1-99 only they are having to use A to signify a branch of a main service and X for limited stop services. The WMPTE system had unique numbers for all routes - 1-99 Birmingham, 100-299 ex Midland Red, 300-399 Walsall, 400-499 West Bromwich, 500-599 Wolverhampton, 800 series Schools and 900 series Limited Stop.

DJ

Quote from: busfan2847 on August 18, 2018, 02:14:39 AM
When E was introduced by WMPTE it meant Exception (a short working). This replaced Birmingham's system where the closest turn round to downtown was A the next B and so on. For example on the 50 (city to Maypole) 50J was to Kings Heath only, and 50K was Alcester Lanes End.

A and C were used by WMPTE to signify anticlockwise and clockwise respectively.

With national express WM changing route numbers to be 1-99 only they are having to use A to signify a branch of a main service and X for limited stop services. The WMPTE system had unique numbers for all routes - 1-99 Birmingham, 100-299 ex Midland Red, 300-399 Walsall, 400-499 West Bromwich, 500-599 Wolverhampton, 800 series Schools and 900 series Limited Stop.

I dunno if it was started under WMPTE, but the 6xx series also fit nicely into that series for various 'Mini-Link' routes, that often had minibuses on them when introduced, although later, routes that survived such as the 644 did look a bit out of place with their numbering. I remember that route using Solos and the ALX 200 Darts up until both of those were withdrawn.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Mike K

Quote from: StourValley98 on August 18, 2018, 02:54:01 AM
I dunno if it was started under WMPTE, but the 6xx series also fit nicely into that series for various 'Mini-Link' routes, that often had minibuses on them when introduced, although later, routes that survived such as the 644 did look a bit out of place with their numbering. I remember that route using Solos and the ALX 200 Darts up until both of those were withdrawn.

I believe the 6xx minibus route numbering series was introduced post deregulation in the WMT era. I always thought it looked strange seeing a Mercedes 0405N on the 'minibus' numbered 636.

l.murphy123

Quote from: Dom on August 18, 2018, 12:43:41 AM
E denotes a short working.
A used to kinda mean an extension to the route. For example, the old 581A which only used to run on Sundays, first by TWM then Diamond. Used to be the Dudley-Merry Hill extension.

Nower days, A pretty much just means a variation of the original route. For example, the new 2A, 12A, 13A.

Thank you :-) Arriva Cannock have the 2E which only does 2 evening journeys now... as does the 75A which surely should be 75E. Much prefer the NX numbering.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

PointerDart

What about other letters still used today like there being a Diamond 4H (is there a meaning for the H) and then D&G have a 14W in Stoke (is 'W' used anywhere else as part of a route number and does that have any particular meaning?)

winston

Quote from: PointerDart on August 18, 2018, 02:34:30 PM
What about other letters still used today like there being a Diamond 4H (is there a meaning for the H) and then D&G have a 14W in Stoke (is 'W' used anywhere else as part of a route number and does that have any particular meaning?)

H = Halesowen / Hayley Green

PointerDart

Stu

Quote from: PointerDart on August 18, 2018, 02:34:30 PM

Diamond also operate a 16W, which is a variation of the 16 extended to West Bromwich.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

PointerDart

Quote from: Stu on August 18, 2018, 03:06:58 PM
Diamond also operate a 16W, which is a variation of the 16 extended to West Bromwich.

So in general the other letters can often denote where the extension goes?

Thanks for the info! :)

Squiz1971

Quote from: PointerDart on August 18, 2018, 04:34:19 PM
So in general the other letters can often denote where the extension goes?

Thanks for the info! :)
Also the NX 4M which goes to Merry Hill @PointerDart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk