News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

What are people views, just curious?

Started by monkeyjoe, November 11, 2014, 08:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

http://disabilitynewsservice.com/2014/11/court-appeal-set-definitive-ruling-bus-access-priority/

Personally if I was the mother I would have folded up my chair and let the wheel chair user on board, however the route could have been really frequent and they are just taking the mick. Debate???

the trainbasher

QuoteA First Bus spokesman said that its policy was for wheelchair-users to have priority use of the wheelchair space, but that its drivers "have no actual power to require people to vacate this space".

And 9 times out of 10 if the driver did enforce the policy it'd be a case of tea no  biscuits.

How did they cope before slf.

But there again buggys are just as bad, especially the modern monstrositys. Make them fold them all I say!!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

trident4370

I think Disabled people should have priority over buggies for the spaces, nine times out of ten buggies can be folded, they just aren't, whereas you can't turn a disability off or fold it away. I agree with Trainbasher all buggies be folded and out the way not just for the bays but for everyone else who has to 'negotiate' a way through when you get a tank blocking half the aisle.

Bob

They should definitely fold them up. Obviously wheel chair uses should get priority. It makes me laugh when mothers kick off when asked to fold up, say if theres already a couple of pushchairs on board.  I remember this young girl going mental in cannock once swearing the lot ( proper chavvy slapper with council and dole dosser written through her like a stick of rock lol).

Steveminor

My only problem with this is that the court ruled First bus had broken the equality act. It is not equality if one person has more rights than another due to their disability or anything else for that matter. It should be the disabled priority act.
Do I think pushchairs should give up a space for a wheelchair. He'll yes & I have had so much verbal abuse for insisting a push chair user they needed to fold up a push chair as the space was needed for a wheelchair.
What I think would help is if All buses carried a sign saying "wheelchairs have priority in this space", like they do for pensioners in the first 2 seats "please give up these seats for elderly passengers or for those that require them" or similarly worded.

JoNi

Item made the BBC national news at 1 o'clock. First who lost original case, appealed, case heard at Old Bailey today. BBC's opinion was it could lead to all bus companies having to give priority to wheelchair users over buggies. Result likely in a couple of weeks.

trident4370

Quote from: JoNi on November 11, 2014, 01:26:38 PM
BBC's opinion was it could lead to all bus companies having to give priority to wheelchair users over buggies. Result likely in a couple of weeks.
I hope so, a step forward for common sense aswell as disabled rights.

monkeyjoe

What the Jezza candidates really kick off? That is so bad, remember the days when every buggie had to be folded away. Love to put one of them in their place if I ever used the bus.

Bob

They don't have time to fold em up they gotta be down the DSS for an appointment lol

Liverpool Street

Just to be the devils advocate.....

Disabled rights say disabled people have the rights to be treated like anyone else;

So does this mean they should wait in line like the rest of us? First come first served etc

~~

But yes, fold the damn buggies up you selfish ugly battered Northfield scumbag!
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Lukeee

Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 11, 2014, 06:01:09 PM
But yes, fold the damn buggies up you selfish ugly battered Northfield scumbag!

Lmao

Kevin

What if a wheelchair user is waiting for the bus and another is already on the bus, would they have to argue it out between them which one is more disabled? (also just playing devils advocate)

As far as I can tell from the original case, the driver asked people to vacate the wheelchair space. What more could the bus company do?

Is there any sort of special needs transport in leeds?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Gareth

Some buggies cannot just be easily folded. Have you seen the size of some of them?
What was the mother supposed to do, get off and wait for the next bus? Maybe she would have missed her train connection and arrived an hour late and become embarrassed and lack in confidence. Could she sue under the equality act?
It's a tricky case, and I think one with no clear answers. The bus driver asked the lady to move, I don't think he could have done any more.

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on November 12, 2014, 12:41:25 PM
Some buggies cannot just be easily folded. Have you seen the size of some of them?
What was the mother supposed to do, get off and wait for the next bus? Maybe she would have missed her train connection and arrived an hour late and become embarrassed and lack in confidence. Could she sue under the equality act?
It's a tricky case, and I think one with no clear answers. The bus driver asked the lady to move, I don't think he could have done any more.

My biggest worry is that if First do lose the case at appeal the wheelchair space will be just that and have to remain empty if one is not aboard, which is 95% of the time. Bus companies will still want to provide buggy space, as that does increase passenger numbers and revenue, so we will end up with even fewer seats in the lower saloon

Bob

Maybe not easily folded but they can be folded

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk