News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Tony on December 17, 2015, 09:57:48 PM
4053 I have just driven to Dundee was just about perfect. Shame about the top speed of 43mph, speedo read 45, but was able to drive flat out for a full hour to check how far I travelled

How bored were you beating up that motorway doing that sedentary speed?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

4053 I have just driven to Dundee was just about perfect. Shame about the top speed of 43mph, speedo read 45, but was able to drive flat out for a full hour to check how far I travelled
Not bad considering you left WB at 08:20 and took 10 1/2 hours to get there, although you did very briefly manage to hit a top speed of 51mph at 15:53hrs. LOL!

MW

Quote from: BU07 LGO on December 16, 2015, 06:03:53 PM
4072 - Plaxton President

This one was my first president and I was expecting bad things after hearing @MW 's reviews! I was actually really impressed by it, the steering wheel seemed the same as a Gemini (not the big ship one ive heard all about :p) the brakes were nice and smooth and it had a decent turn of speed on flat ground! It was a bit sluggish uphill but not as bad as some of the B7 ALX I've driven!

The mirror took some getting used to because it was through the doors instead of the windscreen like every other bus!

I was surprised how smooth it was, with a b7 alx the braking took a bit of getting used to but the president was really nice!

Lol. I think it depends on what sort of route they are on. On the 1, they aren't bad at all, because it's not exactly a busy route. When it's full to the brim on the 11, you really really notice. Vast of them are very slow, and the brakes go from good to bad because of the extra load. On the Geminis, the difference isn't nearly as bad.

Also, they seem to be transferring the ones in better nick to other garages. 4051-4078ish (minus some) seem to be better, especially the 406* lot. The bad ones that spring to mind are the 403*-4041 lot. The gearing on a lot of them is different too. Some rev a lot higher. I can't remember which one it is now, possibly 4069. This one revs like a 46** Gemini, all the way to around 2250rpm, rather than around 1900 on flat roads. Some of them really jerk around when your slowing down, then go again. They get confused as to which gear they should be in, and then you get a sudden jolt.

I think what also contributes to it for is again with the route. On the 11, there isn't a terminus, and sometimes you find yourself not getting out of the cab for 5hrs:30, and then the cab gets uncomfortable (for me anyway) due to the lack of legroom. That metal thing on the floor is annoying too.

If you get the Plaxtons regularly, you'll begin to see how often people smack there heads of the mirror, as I'm sure @2900 will know. That's another irritating thing with them. On calmer routes, and Sundays, they're okay, but in the peaks, they're not so good for me.

Quote from: MW on December 18, 2015, 02:52:24 AM
Lol. I think it depends on what sort of route they are on. On the 1, they aren't bad at all, because it's not exactly a busy route. When it's full to the brim on the 11, you really really notice. Vast of them are very slow, and the brakes go from good to bad because of the extra load. On the Geminis, the difference isn't nearly as bad.

Also, they seem to be transferring the ones in better nick to other garages. 4051-4078ish (minus some) seem to be better, especially the 406* lot. The bad ones that spring to mind are the 403*-4041 lot. The gearing on a lot of them is different too. Some rev a lot higher. I can't remember which one it is now, possibly 4069. This one revs like a 46** Gemini, all the way to around 2250rpm, rather than around 1900 on flat roads. Some of them really jerk around when your slowing down, then go again. They get confused as to which gear they should be in, and then you get a sudden jolt.

I think what also contributes to it for is again with the route. On the 11, there isn't a terminus, and sometimes you find yourself not getting out of the cab for 5hrs:30, and then the cab gets uncomfortable (for me anyway) due to the lack of legroom. That metal thing on the floor is annoying too.

If you get the Plaxtons regularly, you'll begin to see how often people smack there heads of the mirror, as I'm sure @2900 will know. That's another irritating thing with them. On calmer routes, and Sundays, they're okay, but in the peaks, they're not so good for me.
yeah I agree with the last paragraph when the plaxtons were on the 87,s they did struggle fully loaded it became entirely different bus to drive. These days they are on 83/89 or other lesser used services at west brom far more enjoyable to drive, Sunday evenings with good one doesn't feel like work more like cruising and getting paid to do it.

From drivers point of the £4 daysaver has been hit , people's faces light up, smiles even a joke or two when you tell them it's only £4 not the £4.40 they were expecting pay.  People paying the max single look miserable , just my observations.

BU07 LGO

Quote from: 2900 on January 10, 2016, 11:29:43 AM
From drivers point of the £4 daysaver has been hit , people's faces light up, smiles even a joke or two when you tell them it's only £4 not the £4.40 they were expecting pay.  People paying the max single look miserable , just my observations.

The kids trying the quid trick aren't best pleased too lol

BK63 YWP

@BU07 LGO what did you think of 6726 yesterday, felt like it was struggling abit on X51
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

BU07 LGO

Quote from: Chris on January 10, 2016, 07:00:21 PM
@BU07 LGO what did you think of 6726 yesterday, felt like it was struggling abit on X51

Wasn't the worst platinum but not the best either, they're all sluggish on pull off and don't kick down when you want them to!

? How does an Enviro 400 MMC compare to the Mk2 Enviro 400 in terms of performance etc

BU07 LGO

Quote from: 2900 on January 11, 2016, 11:21:36 AM
? How does an Enviro 400 MMC compare to the Mk2 Enviro 400 in terms of performance etc

its hard to say when I first drove one it felt loads quicker than a mk2 but now when I drive a mk2 on the 51 that feels quicker! I think it just depends what one your used to and the other feels quicker! Pull off is definitely slower when pulling away side by side on the mmc

Stuharris 6360

@Tony How do you get back from Dundee?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on January 11, 2016, 08:25:47 PM
On the train

Bet that was a long journey with bus services between Scotland & Carlisle @Tony ?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 11, 2016, 08:37:10 PM
Bet that was a long journey with bus services between Scotland & Carlisle @Tony ?

Not on December the 17th.
The direct train from Dundee to Birmingham comes via Newcastle anyway

Mk 1 ADL ENVIRO 400 comments

The novelty of these fast powerful buses wearing very thin now reason being when your sat in the cab for five and hours the crap drivers seat and the crap front suspension really takes it toll , I sometimes come off with my  Arse in agony and a tight lower back also in foul mood cause of it.
Driving fair few Volvo b7tl,s lately I really appreciate the chassis is way more superior than the trident2 , 4706/4711 I,ve driven lately it's so more comfortable for long periods it may be no way as fast as the trident2 but in the long term for ones well being us drivers need to be as comfortable as possible. I wonder how the enviro 400mmc,s compare to trident2 for long term driver comfort.

I do hope management ask drivers of there opinions on the streetdeck after they,ve done long stints behind the wheel on how they feel. After all they go on about customer care well that eh gona happen if a driver is in discomfort/pain. Some thing to think about, after all its we the drivers are stuck with them for 15/20 years. So come on pennsnet crew let your views be known.
I never felt this bad when I drove metro-buses a design from the 70s

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk