News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4641 nice to drive pretty smooth, not a good hill climber struggles abit, 0 to 40mph takes quite a while , once rolling all is good performs well. It's does feel different to the 4500 and 4700 series gemni,s , Cooling fans come on only when required even they are not loud unlike some. Cab I notice the heating controls same spec as 4700 series while dashboard is same spec as 4400 4500 series . Interior still original light blue cushions faded  and worn. Exterior still ok. 7/10

4638 what a bus it's got character this one even tuneful one could say, zf box howls brilliantly on this. deceleration from speed sounds awesome, this sucker flies no problem with hills just keeps going and going no problem, really good fun to drive its so superior to 4716 which I had earlier it's unreal absolutely worlds apart these two , handles great, suspension rides really well , brand new small volvo steering wheel fitted feels good can't beat new ones. Excellent driver seat more than be said for 4716 seat might as well be seating on a milk crate. Interior mix of every twm seat cushion going half and half I,d say. Exterior still presentable.  Worth looking out for this one probably the best 4600 series bus at west brom even though theres only a hand full here. Awesome IMO 9/10 for the way it drives.

These buses fast approaching there final days weeks months etc etc, will these buses find new homes when withdrawn from service or are they unreliable as people have stated on various posts I,ve read over the years of these breaking down a lot . 4001 4002 has any one expressed interest in preserving them given there history. Do see the optares at west brom bus station from time to time , I think they,ve aged well still look way better than the alx 400 design to me that looked dated from the time it was penned. I still think these optares best livery was its orignal one the current livery doesn't do it any favours, still remember them when they were brand new going past me at snow hill relief point, how years have flown by. I wonder with arrival of the e400mmc will that create the same kinda buzz these created back then.

filbus1

Fairly sure 4001 is in line for preservation. I am in the preservation movement working on several old West Midlands buses and people I know are interested in it.

That's good to hear that  there's interest in 4001 look forward to seeing it restored in the future. I suppose 4002 could end up in a museum in Scotland.

Kiewii

Quote from: 2900 on July 28, 2014, 09:56:45 AM
That's good to hear that  there's interest in 4001 look forward to seeing it restored in the future. I suppose 4002 could end up in a museum in Scotland.

I don't believe the Dundee Museum of Transport have any interest in 4002

Trident 4609

Quote from: filbus1 on July 28, 2014, 09:42:26 AM
Fairly sure 4001 is in line for preservation. I am in the preservation movement working on several old West Midlands buses and people I know are interested in it.

And not long before i read this 4001 departed Wolverhampton on my local route

To the optare experts which is the best example for a ride in.

Trident 4609

Quote from: 2900 on July 28, 2014, 10:23:41 AM
To the optare experts which is the best example for a ride in.

4001,4002 (especially 4002 as it is a beast and others will agree!),4004 and 4008 are good ones too. I have a soft spot for 4019 too as it reminds me of a Metrobus (You can hear the Voith Whining sound)

Ok cheers , didn't realise the spectra,s had voith gearboxes. Do they all have daf engines or is it a cummins lump.

Bob

You can hear the voith whine on all spectras lol?

Trident 4609

Quote from: Bob on July 28, 2014, 10:50:10 AM
You can hear the voith whine on all spectras lol?

Its hard to explain but some you can hear the whine more clearly/louder

@2900, I believe some Spectra's built (Not NX) have ZF gearboxes. I'm sure the ones Evergreen Coaches own have ZF gearboxes

Stevo

Optare bought the rights to the Metrorider and Metrobus but when the Spectra appeared all that was left of the Metrobus design was the rear end layout with the gearbox at right angles to the engine, which is one of the Metrobus's whines. I must admit I thought that the ZF was too big to fit, but I may be wrong, though I've never been on one with the ZF. The DAF DB250 chassis that the Spectra was built on was also bodied by Alexander and Wright, mainly for Arriva, and I've never seen one of these with ZFs either.

Trident 4609

Quote from: Stevo on July 28, 2014, 06:39:53 PM
Optare bought the rights to the Metrorider and Metrobus but when the Spectra appeared all that was left of the Metrobus design was the rear end layout with the gearbox at right angles to the engine, which is one of the Metrobus's whines. I must admit I thought that the ZF was too big to fit, but I may be wrong, though I've never been on one with the ZF. The DAF DB250 chassis that the Spectra was built on was also bodied by Alexander and Wright, mainly for Arriva, and I've never seen one of these with ZFs either.

The DB250 chassis was also available with East Lancs and Northern Counties bodywork

Tony

Quote from: Nathan on July 28, 2014, 07:08:44 PM
Quote from: Stevo on July 28, 2014, 06:39:53 PM

The DB250 chassis is also available with East Lancs and Northern Counties bodywork

Being a bit pedantic I think you mean 'was' DAF/VDL don't currently offer a double deck chassis.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk