News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4609

Quote from: Tony on July 28, 2014, 07:11:21 PM
Quote from: Nathan on July 28, 2014, 07:08:44 PM
Quote from: Stevo on July 28, 2014, 06:39:53 PM
Optare bought the rights to the Metrorider and Metrobus but when the Spectra appeared all that was left of the Metrobus design was the rear end layout with the gearbox at right angles to the engine, which is one of the Metrobus's whines. I must admit I thought that the ZF was too big to fit, but I may be wrong, though I've never been on one with the ZF. The DAF DB250 chassis that the Spectra was built on was also bodied by Alexander and Wright, mainly for Arriva, and I've never seen one of these with ZFs either.

The DB250 chassis is also available with East Lancs and Northern Counties bodywork

Being a bit pedantic I think you mean 'was' DAF/VDL don't currently offer a double deck chassis.

Yes sorry that's precisely what i meant :) When did production stop? I thought i read it was around the 2005 mark but can't be 100%. If somebody could confirm that would be great :)

Cheese

Quote from: Nathan on July 28, 2014, 07:15:05 PM
Optare bought the rights to the Metrorider and Metrobus but when the Spectra appeared all that was left of the Metrobus design was the rear end layout with the gearbox at right angles to the engine, which is one of the Metrobus's whines. I must admit I thought that the ZF was too big to fit, but I may be wrong, though I've never been on one with the ZF. The DAF DB250 chassis that the Spectra was built on was also bodied by Alexander and Wright, mainly for Arriva, and I've never seen one of these with ZFs either.

The DB250 chassis is also available with East Lancs and Northern Counties bodywork

Being a bit pedantic I think you mean 'was' DAF/VDL don't currently offer a double deck chassis.

Yes sorry that's precisely what i meant :) When did production stop? I thought i read it was around the 2005 mark but can't be 100%. If somebody could confirm that would be great :)

Arriva at Maidstone have 4 57-plate DB250LFs.  Were these built as stock vehicles and delivered much later than when they were built, or were they really 2007/8 vehicles?

Tony

Quote from: Cheese on July 28, 2014, 07:17:47 PM
Quote from: Nathan on July 28, 2014, 07:15:05 PM

Arriva at Maidstone have 4 57-plate DB250LFs.  Were these built as stock vehicles and delivered much later than when they were built, or were they really 2007/8 vehicles?

Those were first taxed in February 2008, but the VINs seem to indicate they were built approximately a year earlier. All surrounding chassis were first taxed around March 2007

JB93

I really need to get over to Wolverhampton and get my first ride on one before they're withdrawn! I missed my chance to ride on an Excel and don't wanna miss the Spectras too.

CL

I hear you JB93. Should've screwed my Saturday plan and jumped on them when they were on the 33. I don't even know where Northwood Park is! Nathan, which routes are they most often allocated to? I know they've been lacking the 79 recently. Some on the 33, maybe. Any other routes that you could suggest?
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Trident 4609

Quote from: clayderman on July 28, 2014, 11:08:27 PM
I hear you JB93. Should've screwed my Saturday plan and jumped on them when they were on the 33. I don't even know where Northwood Park is! Nathan, which routes are they most often allocated to? I know they've been lacking the 79 recently. Some on the 33, maybe. Any other routes that you could suggest?

The 11,32 and 33 are your best bets and the 59 is seeing 2-3 most weekdays over the 6 weeks holidays(Spectra's stopped appearing on the 59 for a while)

Although i was surprised when 4002 turned up as my bus back into Wolverhampton from Tettenhall Wood on the 1 this afternoon

And Spectra's are no strangers to routes such as the 25A/C,255/256/7 and 529. Spectra's appear on these routes a fair bit too.

4509 excellent bus to drive this one , I remember catching this when it was at perry Barr  on the 101 service remember thinking its a smooth bus this.  Wasn't disappointed when it came to west brom I,ve always liked this bus. Its a relaxing drive, It's got pace when you need it , brakes ,suspension excellent, corners well. Refurbed a while ago Interior grey cushions , exterior still looks good. I think this bus was involved with disagreement with a megabus coach at small brook queens way as most near side have been replaced. 8/10

4084 another great placky volvo very hard fault this one, mechanicaly bang on, drives in a superb manner so nice. Engine/box smooth the way it should be, suspension rides out the rough stuff, corners well.  Not much in way of rattling either. Here's the one fault the hugemongous steering fitted in the cab not good. Refurbed a while back exterior still looking good , interior late spec twm cushions, floors ,poles redone as well. 9/10

4530 don't like this one never felt comfortable at all in the whole time I had it ,felt like a chore driving this, most drivers would be fine driving this bus.  I think it's a combination of things with this bus, suspension not very good didn't cope with speed bumps at all too bouncy for my like,ing,  gearbox  may be engine issue upon pressing gas pedal power would come in at first then a slight delay then normal delivery. May be I,m being picky just the way I am. Once going on smooth stuff all is ok. Early refurb interior late spec seat cushions, exterior needs tidying IMO half the large type connection bars missing why not remove the rest of them it would greatly improve the appearance. 6/10

JB93

Quote from: Nathan on July 28, 2014, 11:13:51 PM
Quote from: clayderman on July 28, 2014, 11:08:27 PM

The 11,32 and 33 are your best bets and the 59 is seeing 2-3 most weekdays over the 6 weeks holidays(Spectra's stopped appearing on the 59 for a while)

Although i was surprised when 4002 turned up as my bus back into Wolverhampton from Tettenhall Wood on the 1 this afternoon

And Spectra's are no strangers to routes such as the 25A/C,255/256/7 and 529. Spectra's appear on these routes a fair bit too.

Irritatingly, a Spectra pulled off from the 79 stop just as I got to it last week when I visited West Brom. I didn't really want to hang around on the off chance that another one turned up so I managed to ride a Merc on the 5 instead. Practically flew down the Newton Road with all the windows rattling away :P

John

For those not in the Yahoo WM Buses group, 4025 and 4026 have been spotted on the M6 in Kendal this afternoon. New additions for Dundee maybe

Kiewii

Quote from: John on July 29, 2014, 06:27:09 PM
For those not in the Yahoo WM Buses group, 4025 and 4026 have been spotted on the M6 in Kendal this afternoon. New additions for Dundee maybe

B10L replacements presumably

Stevo

Tell 'em to keep their grubby hands off our AG Presidents! There are plenty left at YW and WB!

Sh4318

Quote from: Stevo on July 29, 2014, 07:26:07 PM
Tell 'em to keep their grubby hands off our AG Presidents! There are plenty left at YW and WB!

Leave WB's alone as well!
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Tony

And yes, there are being transferred to Dundee. no more for a bit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk