News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

50 service

Started by Dave Spencer, April 10, 2014, 11:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sh4318

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on April 14, 2014, 05:25:32 PM
Well isn't the whole idea of competition that it should benefit passengers?

When Diamond ran on the 9, they ran every 20 mins but only during the day, no service on evenings or Sundays, therefore people would continue to buy NX travelcards to use because they were more beneficial. Unless the competitor can match or exceed the service levels/quality of the lead operator, the route will always be doomed to failure.

I agree with your first point. Competition should be a healthy thing for operators, their joint priority should be providing the most adequate service available to the public. The second point isn't always necessarily the case
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

:D

When Diamond ran on the 9, they ran every 20 mins but only during the day, no service on evenings or Sundays, therefore people would continue to buy NX travelcards to use because they were more beneficial. Unless the competitor can match or exceed the service levels/quality of the lead operator, the route will always be doomed to failure.
And that's why I think Swift card should be made mandatory for all operators operating in Centro regions. NXWM might lose out a little bit, but probably not much because their buses are pretty good compared to some of other operators and passengers would pick them over some of other operators (That's the point of having a competition).

Also I would say some of little-used routes will have an increased usage mainly because the passengers who chose alternative but longer NX routes will start using it. I think the 24 between Fox & Goose had more passenger using it when it was operated by NXWM.

Lastly, is there any truth to the claim saying the 50 is most frequent bus route in Europe? I remember reading somewhere saying this.

Sh4318

Quote from: :D on April 15, 2014, 06:35:51 PM

And that's why I think Swift card should be made mandatory for all operators operating in Centro regions. NXWM might lose out a little bit, but probably not much because their buses are pretty good compared to some of other operators and passengers would pick them over some of other operators (That's the point of having a competition).

Also I would say some of little-used routes will have an increased usage mainly because the passengers who chose alternative but longer NX routes will start using it. I think the 24 between Fox & Goose had more passenger using it when it was operated by NXWM.

Lastly, is there any truth to the claim saying the 50 is most frequent bus route in Europe? I remember reading somewhere saying this.

According to Wikipedia, it is one of the busiest routes in Europe

Trident 4609

But is wikipedia always correct.....   There are more frequent services in London

nitromatt1

Quote from: Nathan on April 16, 2014, 09:17:42 AM
But is wikipedia always correct.....   There are more frequent services in London

More frequent than on average every 2-3 minutes? There cannot be that many routes more frequent. "Busy" could refer to patronage too, not necessarily frequency.

Trident 4609

Quote from: Matt on April 16, 2014, 09:46:56 AM

More frequent than on average every 2-3 minutes? There cannot be that many routes more frequent. "Busy" could refer to patronage too, not necessarily frequency.

Didn't realise it was that busy!  Is that with all operators combined?  When I posted that somehow I was only bearing in mind the NX service and not Diamond/TGB/Johnsons

Sh4318

I didn't say it was always correct, I said "According to Wikipedia"

nitromatt1

Quote from: Nathan on April 16, 2014, 11:01:59 AM

Didn't realise it was that busy!  Is that with all operators combined?  When I posted that somehow I was only bearing in mind the NX service and not Diamond/TGB/Johnsons

Yeah, we worked out that with all ops there are roughly 24 bph, 60 mins / 24 = 2.5 minutes on average

Stuharris 6360

Surprisingly, London night bus route N29 is every 3 minutes between Trafalgar Square & Wood Green on Friday night/Saturday  morning & Saturday night/Sunday morning, however London buses are different as there is no competition.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Sh4318

Service 192 in Manchester provides a 2.5 minute frequency between Stepping Hill Hospital & Manchester

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk