News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Friargate Project - Ring Road J6

Started by JPC, February 17, 2014, 06:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPC

NX Coventry have confirmed Friargate re-routing, see here for details.

Beano2211

It says the 11/12 will stop on the station forecourt but a new stop has been put in opposite, near to where the 8/9 turn right into the forecourt. Maybe this is for the 11/12?

JPC

Quote from: Beano2211 on March 13, 2014, 12:18:33 AM
It says the 11/12 will stop on the station forecourt but a new stop has been put in opposite, near to where the 8/9 turn right into the forecourt. Maybe this is for the 11/12?

Yeah, there's also a new stop on Park Road just before the new bus gate.

Click here for Centro's version of route changes and stop location details for all operators.

Also on 23rd March stand allocations at Pool Meadow bus station are changing yet again, click here for details.

Valandil

It says the 11/12 will stop on the station forecourt

Only in one direction, for some reason!
I am on the lookout for amended timetables, which will surely have to be produced since some of these changes will affect both route and timetable, but I have not found any yet.

JPC

Quote from: Valandil on March 13, 2014, 09:19:13 PM
It says the 11/12 will stop on the station forecourt

Only in one direction, for some reason!
I am on the lookout for amended timetables, which will surely have to be produced since some of these changes will affect both route and timetable, but I have not found any yet.

I suppose the following quote sums it up really: In changing your bus routes we have tried to make sure that we continue to serve as many people as possible but also avoid long diversions that would extend journey times too much for other passengers.

The only timetable I've found so far is for service 8/8A/9/9A located .

Valandil

JPC

Noticed today the Johnsons 539 service operating via Corporation St, Queen Victoria Rd etc. which of course reflects their amendment date on Vosa - 9th March, the bus driver aimlessly on the lookout for potential passengers as NWM infrastructure obviously isn't going to be updated until the 23rd or thereabouts.  I gather both variants of service 580 (London Rd / Leamington Rd) also runs this way, I suppose there was or would have been complaints about these services avoiding the shopping areas if they didn't.

Valandil

There is now an enhanced version of NXC's information on the changes, which can be found here:
http://nxbus.co.uk/coventry/information/service-changes/coventry-friargate-development
It gives some really nice little maps as well as summaries of the changes.

I imagine that it will be updated again with a map of the new route of the 18a at some point in the relatively near future.
Also, the Network West Midlands timetable for the 1 shows some minor changes (a minute's difference here and there), which I assume will also be worked into a new timetable on this page at some point too.

Ben

Quote from: Beano2211 on March 07, 2014, 07:52:34 PM
It seems that NXC have changed this plan and the 11/12 will continue to use Belvedere Rd.
Shame given how narrow it is down there. The council either need to sort the parking out or prevent buses going down there all together, I've seen quite a few near misses.  It doesn't help having short sight lines with such tight corners and tall trees.

I was quite pleased with the fairly sensible nature of the Pool Meadow bus stop allocation unless I'm overlooking something.

I'm also pleased with the interesting scenario's the Friargate project will create but I'm just annoyed they're cutting trees down and possible mutilation of our precious Ringroad.*

*Yes that was a Lord Of The Rings reference.

EDIT: The removed paragraph was probably better suited to the main NX garage thread.

JoNi

A start has been made on modifying the central reservation at the bottom of Warwick Road, so that vehicles can turn right to access Eaton Road and the station. Routes 1 11/X/12.

JoNi

Project off to a flying start.
Ring road closed at junction 9 while former "southbound" bridge over ring road is demolished. Ring road will reopen early tomorrow morning.
The new bus gate in Park Road has opened which is traffic light controlled. I've already seen cars using it despite it being clearly signposted for buses and taxis only.
New bus stop opposite station is called SG which is served by route 1 to Hospital, 9/A to Green Lane, 87/539/580 to City and Park & Ride to City.

The existing stop to city on the station forecourt is now also served by routes 11/12 to City.
Someone has stuck a Centro map over the 12 departures!
The forecourt stop that used to be served by the 9/A to Green Lane is only used by Park & Ride South.

Needless to say when the real time information screen is most needed it isn't working >:(

Ben

Having used the 12 today I was reasonably pleased.  The new route will be a huge benefit for people coming in towards town on the bus, removing the need to cross the Warwick Road on foot.

I couldn't see the bus gates from my seat, but it looked like buses exiting the railway station, heading into the city centre have priority at the traffic lights on Park Road, (apologies if this was already mentioned, I just felt the need to reiterate it)

My only issue is that the 11/12 no longer serves the Quadrant, which could be an issue for elderly shoppers coming in from
Earlsdon.

As a bus passenger overall I'm satisfied with how the whole situation will work out, given that I was skeptical of the whole plan at first.

And as a person with an interest in how the impacts on the road network, traffic didn't seem too much worse on the ringroad this morning or this evening, although this morning I noticed a clockwise queue over the bridge which passes over the B4098 Radford Road junction but I have no idea why.

uniquicity

I will be visiting Warwick University next Tuesday, coming from Birmingham on the train.

I assume the best stop to use to Warwick Uni for the 11 is stop SD?

JPC

Quote from: uniquicity on March 24, 2014, 05:31:26 PM
I will be visiting Warwick University next Tuesday, coming from Birmingham on the train.

I assume the best stop to use to Warwick Uni for the 11 is stop SD?

Yes, stop SD on Warwick Road above the rail line for the most frequent NXC service 11/12 towards Warwick Uni.
The Stagecoach 16 service from the next stop down SE will also get you to Warwick Uni.
Alternately Travel De Courcey's from stand SA in front of the station offers a direct route to Warwick Uni but only runs hourly.

JPC

Outbound bus lane on The Butts between Ring Road and Albany Road has been removed/is now a left turn lane for all traffic (Friargate mitigation), the small section ahead of Albany Road remains making it nothing more than a glorified bus stop.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk