News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

skyrail at merryhill?

Started by danny, May 09, 2012, 01:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danny

Is it true that their used to be a skyrail at merryhill, if so, why did it end and ous their any evidence of its exidtance today
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Roy

Quote from: danny on May 09, 2012, 01:16:38 PM
Is it true that their used to be a skyrail at merryhill, if so, why did it end and ous their any evidence of its exidtance today

Yes, a monorail system operated at Merry Hill from 1991 to 1996.  It started at Waterfront East and roughly followed the road from the Waterfront to Level Street before crossing Level Street and the car parks to the next station at Grand Central, which was just above the Marks and Spencer womensware and foodhall store.  There were steps up from the mall just outside Marks and Spencer to this station.  It then continued to the next station at Times Square which was above the current Witherspoons pub, before continuing across the car parks to a terminus at the Boulevard, not far from Currys.

The following links show videos of the monorail.

I'm sure that other people can add further details for you.

richie

Their is still a station above marks and spencer

Roy

Since posting my previous reply, I have watched the two videos for the first time.  I only caught the monorail about 3 or 4 times in the 5 years it was open, which is probably the reason it closed.  It was more of a tourist attraction than a viable public transport option.  Had the Stourbridge to Dudley rail line been open at that time as either a heavy rail or Metro operation, and the monorail extended to link to that line, then it would have stood a far greater chance of success. 

However, I advise people to have a look at the video to see what has changed in the last 15-20 years - Silver and Blue Travel West Midlands Buses, Merry Hill Bus Station in a different location and C&A still selling their unfashionable clothing.

As Richie says, the video shows that Grand Central station above Marks and Spencers still exists.

winston

I had forgotten that Merry Hill Mini's had a seperate bus station to the main bus services

richie

Quote from: winston on May 09, 2012, 05:03:52 PM
I had forgotten that Merry Hill Mini's had a seperate bus station to the main bus services

yea and to start off with WMT services would load/unload on the road as the station where it is now was exclusive to merry hill minis and that one way road between best buy and toys r us was 2 way to the mini bus station and offices, you can bearly get a car down it now!

Could do with a monorail or tram service from merry hill to cradley heath

Quote from: Roy on May 09, 2012, 04:04:51 PM
Quote from: danny on May 09, 2012, 01:16:38 PM

Yes, a monorail system operated at Merry Hill from 1991 to 1996.  It started at Waterfront East and roughly followed the road from the Waterfront to Level Street before crossing Level Street and the car parks to the next station at Grand Central, which was just above the Marks and Spencer womensware and foodhall store.  There were steps up from the mall just outside Marks and Spencer to this station.  It then continued to the next station at Times Square which was above the current Witherspoons pub, before continuing across the car parks to a terminus at the Boulevard, not far from Currys.

The following links show videos of the monorail.

I'm sure that other people can add further details for you.

Roy

Quote from: 4504 on May 09, 2012, 06:01:12 PM
Could do with a monorail or tram service from merry hill to cradley heath

I agree that some form of rapid tranport systm is needed to connect the railway station at Cradley Heath with Merry Hill.  The current bus service is slow and unreliable.

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

There's the 141 isn't there? That runs with Enviro 400 buses every 30 minutes, morning, daytime and evening and hourly on Sundays, it seems a fairly reliable service to me anyway

winston

Quote from: wilmotm on May 09, 2012, 08:46:33 PM
There's the 141 isn't there? That runs with Enviro 400 buses every 30 minutes, morning, daytime and evening and hourly on Sundays, it seems a fairly reliable service to me anyway

You've got the 141 & 297 (combined 15min frequency) & 404H

From my experience it's not, I used to work in Merry Hill, there was a time where I waited for the 9:30 bus from Bearwood to Merry Hill... It didn't turn up

Quote from: wilmotm on May 09, 2012, 08:46:33 PM

danny

Wow that looked amazing amazing back it the day, thanks for the videos Roy
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Badger

The monorail is now at the Oasis Centre, Queensland, Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_Shopping_Centre

There's a page on the monorail here:

http://www.monorails.org/tmspages/Broadb.html

Brings back memories!
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

dayvid

This looks really impressive. Just think that once upon a time we was up there with technology and WOW factor.
Its quite sad how it would of been really usefull today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk