News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Which are the best train-spotting places?

Started by 4504, May 02, 2012, 09:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I currently use a bridge close to Smethwick Galton Bridge, and a canal to the side of the station. Where are the best train-spotting places around the west midlands, because I want to take pictures all over the west midlands.

Tony

Busiest stations for freight are Water Orton (boring for passengers as only Cross Country go through) and Walsall ( also boring for passenger). Bescot does see some freight Walsall misses, but Walsall gets all the stuff coming down from Stafford/Wolverhampton going to Hams Hall, Washwood Heath and Lawley Street that misses Bescot.

Ok thanks :), I think I'll take a trip on the 90 tomorrow to Water Orton station  ::). What about the best places for commuter trains?

Quote from: Tony on May 02, 2012, 09:51:02 PM
Busiest stations for freight are Water Orton (boring for passengers as only Cross Country go through) and Walsall ( also boring for passenger). Bescot does see some freight Walsall misses, but Walsall gets all the stuff coming down from Stafford/Wolverhampton going to Hams Hall, Washwood Heath and Lawley Street that misses Bescot.

Tony

Birmingham New Street, obviously, but not if you want photographs, Another good one is Small Heath, Lots of 165, 168, 172s on the local passenger trains, 220 & 221 on the longer distance cross country and Class 67s with Mark 3s on odd runs to Marylebone. You also get some freight heading off towards Southampton and empty stock workings (153; 170 (LM & XC) & 172 going to and coming from Tyseley depot

Oh yeah, that's true, quite a few types of trains do pass small heath, I think I may head to a few places, thanks Tony.

Quote from: Tony on May 02, 2012, 10:11:21 PM
Birmingham New Street, obviously, but not if you want photographs, Another good one is Small Heath, Lots of 165, 168, 172s on the local passenger trains, 220 & 221 on the longer distance cross country and Class 67s with Mark 3s on odd runs to Marylebone. You also get some freight heading off towards Southampton and empty stock workings (153; 170 (LM & XC) & 172 going to and coming from Tyseley depot

windy miller

Hi If you would like to travel a bit further out you might like to try the south end of platform 4 at Stafford? there is an adjacent car parking facility which (I believe) is fee paying up to 6pm.
if you arrive at (say) 2pm you should get 4 hrs for £2-50. You should see the following:Loads of sheds,the odd chopper,occasional tug,and, if you are realy lucky,a whistler, or even a growler. (not my Mrs) :) you will have a nice warm waiting room with good panoramic views and (probably) a group of b'ham guys to give you loads of advice. get clicking- and good luck!
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

nx4737

You can get some interesting shots at Selly Oak and Aston, mainly 323's but the locations make interesting pictures.

Also, the Moor Street viaduct...

150 015 by NX4737, on Flickr

Ash

If you want to see some trains at high speed check out stations such as Stetchford and Lea hall ( fast passing Cross country and virgin pendalino's) aswell as fast local stopping services missing out these stations.

Oh how I miss them on the Snow Hill Line, do you have to ask permission to take pictures in Moor St station?

I've got a couple of shots here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/madabouttransport

Quote from: nx4737 on May 07, 2012, 12:43:27 AM
You can get some interesting shots at Selly Oak and Aston, mainly 323's but the locations make interesting pictures.

Also, the Moor Street viaduct...

150 015 by NX4737, on Flickr

Tony

Moor Street staff have now problem with photography, but you do need a valid rail ticket because of the barriers

Anyone here that does any trainspotting? Or takes pics/vids of trains and/or buses

windy miller

4504 i have sent you a thumbnail photo on your personal board-not sure whether it works-perhaps you can let me know?
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

it didn't work, it was just a blank message

Quote from: windy miller on May 16, 2012, 02:38:46 AM
4504 i have sent you a thumbnail photo on your personal board-not sure whether it works-perhaps you can let me know?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk