News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

TfWM Coventry automated shuttles - MACAM New Operator

Started by Sandy Lane, February 04, 2023, 03:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Lane

This looks like causing some fun in Coventry?
https://www.coventryobserver.co.uk/news/coventry-automated-shuttles-project-secures-funding/

A PIONEERING new project bringing automated shuttles to the city which will take passengers between Coventry rail station and Coventry University campus has secured government and industry funding.
This route forms part of a wider project which is being overseen by a regional consortium led by Conigital.

The Multi-Area Connected Automated Mobility (MACAM) project will also see a route between Birmingham International rail station and Birmingham Business Park through the National Exhibition Centre rolled out.

A mixed fleet of 13 automated shuttles will serve the two new routes, and the scheme will be supported by a new centralised Remote Monitoring Teleoperation (RMTO) centre.

Operated by Transport for West Midlands, the RMTO centre will monitor the automated vehicles, and using 5G connectivity it will be able to control them when required.

The project aims to make self-driving vehicle operations commercially viable and to reduce technology and operator costs.

Coventry City Council's cabinet member for jobs, regeneration and climate change, Coun Jim O'Boyle said: "We are extremely pleased to be involved in this project which will further develop the way connected and autonomous vehicles will help revolutionise the way we travel in the future.

"This is an emerging sector which will create jobs and opportunities for local people, supporting the economic success of the city.

"Working with our partners, the city and region are really leading the way here, not least because we have the industry expertise to drive this forward much like our other pioneering projects including Very Light Rail."

Rachvince53

I like the idea of creating jobs for local people but what about the potential loss of jobs for bus drivers?  

Straightlines

Quote from: Rachvince53 on February 04, 2023, 05:57:27 PMI like the idea of creating jobs for local people but what about the potential loss of jobs for bus drivers? 
Well given there is a national shortage of drivers and local operators losing mileage I'm not sure it's going to be a particular problem!

Stu

Quote from: Rachvince53 on February 04, 2023, 05:57:27 PMI like the idea of creating jobs for local people but what about the potential loss of jobs for bus drivers? 
This is the kind of thing that union leaders should be thinking about, when it comes to them making their demands.

The future is not that far away now, when we have driverless trains, or even driverless buses.

The initial investment in the technology required ultimately pays for itself in the end, if companies/operators don't have to pay staff to physically drive their vehicles.

Royal Mail and other delivery companies are already seriously looking at using drones to make parcel deliveries.

It's not something I'd ever like to see, but the continued strike action just forces the hands of the big corporations and makes them ever more determined to find more 'automated' solutions that require little 'physical' staff.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sandy Lane

I hope that MACAM services will be forced to use the proper train station bus stops at Central Six and not allowed to pick up at the front of the station like the taxis.

If so then what's wrong with Cov Uni students using the 11 (from Warwick Uni) into town that calls at Central Six today?

ellspurs

Quote from: Sandy Lane on February 04, 2023, 09:48:19 PMIf so then what's wrong with Cov Uni students using the 11 (from Warwick Uni) into town that calls at Central Six today?
What is wrong with them *walking*???

I understand for people with mobility issues then a free shuttle would be ideal for people needing to get to/from the station. That's what the buses provide at the moment, right? And they'd want to go to the centre of Coventry, not the University Campus.

(Insert massive rant here about things which I just gave up on and sighed)

Sandy Lane

Agree with the walking comment as well.

I reckon the Coventry councillors making decisions on buses / trams haven't got a clue with the real world transport issues in Coventry. They let the ideas from TfWM float in to their in tray and the councillors sign it off so long as they get their faces in the newspapers. Oh hang on is there an election soon?

the trainbasher

QuoteOh hang on is there an election soon?

How very cynical :-)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

markcf83

Quote from: Stu on February 04, 2023, 06:53:21 PMThis is the kind of thing that union leaders should be thinking about, when it comes to them making their demands.

The future is not that far away now, when we have driverless trains, or even driverless buses.

Driverless buses. As Simon Cowell might say, it's a no from me.....
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Rachvince53

And from me. How are they going to ensure passengers feel safe?  

Straightlines

Quote from: markcf83 on February 05, 2023, 04:59:40 PMDriverless buses. As Simon Cowell might say, it's a no from me.....
The level of interaction and customer service from some of the operators around here, they may as well already be driverless! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk