News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

ZF Trident vs Voith Trident?

Started by nitromatt1, May 20, 2013, 10:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

ZF Trident
13 (61.9%)
Voith Trident
8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

nitromatt1

Quote from: Shaun on May 21, 2013, 04:32:55 PM
Is there any difference between the 41** and 43** examples in terms of engine sound?

The 41** and 43** all sound essentially identical. The BU04's at Wolverhampton do sound different though.

Justin Tyme

Which NXWM Tridents have Voith boxes and which have ZF?

I thought all Tridents up to 4404 are (3 speed) Voith, and 4405 upwards are ZF.  I also thought that all Stagecoach Tridents are ZF.

nitromatt1

4125-4224, 4305-4404 are Voith

4405-4414 are ZF (I think)

4425-4474 are ZF

4535-4564 are ZF

4565-4584 are Voith

4585-4634 are ZF

Trident 4609

Yes matt you got it correct. From what i know all of what Matt said is correct.

4405-14 are the first tridents at NXWM (Coventry) to have ZF.

nitromatt1

I know that 4565 - 4584 are 4-speed Voith. However I haven't really counted the gears on an older Voith so they might be 3-speed, not sure

andyr

Why do people think it is correct or fun to thrash a bus and overtake cars ? Very un-proffesional to drive in such a manner. Perhapes the reason why people prefer to travel in there own car rather than public transport. As a pcv holder and a full time driver i find it utterly disgracful that such driving is condoned and encouraged.

nitromatt1

Quote from: andyr on May 21, 2013, 07:24:22 PM
Why do people think it is correct or fun to thrash a bus and overtake cars ? Very un-proffesional to drive in such a manner. Perhapes the reason why people prefer to travel in there own car rather than public transport. As a pcv holder and a full time driver i find it utterly disgracful that such driving is condoned and encouraged.

If you knew the 126's route you'd have realised that was the point where it pulls into the right-hand lane for a short stretch in preparation to turn right off the dual-carriageway into Dudley (no bus stops). No reason not to thrash it especially as it's uphill and 90% of drivers do so

Driver03

From my driving point of view it's Voith all the way, they sound excellent 8)

Tony

Quote from: nitromatt1 on May 21, 2013, 07:30:19 PM

If you knew the 126's route you'd have realised that was the point where it pulls into the right-hand lane for a short stretch in preparation to turn right off the dual-carriageway into Dudley (no bus stops). No reason not to thrash it especially as it's uphill and 90% of drivers do so

Still no need to 'thrash it' speed limit on that road is 40mph and as you normally have to stop before actually turning right you don't even gain any time. The only bit where the driver needs his foot on the floor is pulling away from the last bus stop to get up to road speed to enable him to pull out safely into the offside lane

nitromatt1

Quote from: Tony on May 21, 2013, 08:43:37 PM
Quote from: nitromatt1 on May 21, 2013, 07:30:19 PM

Still no need to 'thrash it' speed limit on that road is 40mph and as you normally have to stop before actually turning right you don't even gain any time. The only bit where the driver needs his foot on the floor is pulling away from the last bus stop to get up to road speed to enable him to pull out safely into the offside lane

You won't get much above 40mph before needing to slow down for the right turn anyway so speed limit is not an issue! Of course there is no need to thrash, but no reason not to either as long as it's safe, not really a big issue...

andyr

The "big issue" is passenger comfort and safety !!!!!. Wear and tear on buses components and increased fuel consumption from poor driving habits and standards...... all very important factors. I doubt very much nxwm drivers are taught to thrash buses when training.

nitromatt1

Quote from: andyr on May 21, 2013, 08:54:54 PM
The "big issue" is passenger comfort and safety !!!!!. Wear and tear on buses components and increased fuel consumption from poor driving habits and standards...... all very important factors. I doubt very much nxwm drivers are taught to thrash buses when training.

Irrelevant of how they're trained, the 126 is a thrash route. Fast driving and safety are not mutually exclusive. Like I said, there is no big issue to be discussed.

andyr

No such thing as a thrash route!!!!. If and when you ever gain a pcv licence perhapes u will realise the importance of giving a safe and comfortable journey to your passengers. If you ever become involved in management in the industry you would realise the benifits of not thrashing or abusing the vechicles.... For some reason though i doubt u will ever learn any of the above,

nitromatt1

Quote from: andyr on May 21, 2013, 09:12:10 PM
No such thing as a thrash route!!!!. If and when you ever gain a pcv licence perhapes u will realise the importance of giving a safe and comfortable journey to your passengers. If you ever become involved in management in the industry you would realise the benifits of not thrashing or abusing the vechicles.... For some reason though i doubt u will ever learn any of the above,

I know that I would or will be a safe driver. I just enjoy riding a bus being thrashed! I'm not a reckless person

Ex BC driver

Definately ZF, especially the noise off them retarders

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk