News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Proposed NX takeover of Stagecoach

Started by RW, September 21, 2021, 09:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midlandred2003

Hi Tony are there any conditions involving sale of certain parts of Stagecoach to keep competition people happy.
Lots of new interesting depot runs for you?

DJ

Quote from: midlandred2003 on December 14, 2021, 11:45:40 AM
Hi Tony are there any conditions involving sale of certain parts of Stagecoach to keep competition people happy.

As with any merger or takeover, nothing's gonna change for a while yet, and I'd imagine the specifics haven't been nailed down at this early stage.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

winston

Quote from: midlandred2003 on December 14, 2021, 11:45:40 AM

Stagecoach have also announced that they have agreed to dispose of Megabus, Falcon & their 35% stake in Scottish Citylink to Comfort Delgro
https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/uk/stagecoach/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=273&newsid=1536056

j789

Excellent news. Fingers crossed for the residents of Warwickshire that Stagecoach Midlands can amalgamate fully with NXWM/Cov to create a really good integrated transport network stretching from Oxford up to Cannock. Let's hope the monopoly commission keep their noses out otherwise passengers will get short changed by having multiple companies.

This sort of deal needs to be the future of bus travel, not lots of different companies with no common links.

Solo1

With the takeover of Stagecoach will NXbus passes be valid on the Stagecoach buses in Warwick area

DJ

Quote from: Solo1 on December 14, 2021, 04:04:10 PM
With the takeover of Stagecoach will NXbus passes be valid on the Stagecoach buses in Warwick area

Nobody knows yet, none of the details like that have been worked out. Just be patient and wait for news.

paulb1973

In terms of identity, is there going to be a group colour-scheme, name, emblem etc. Or do they select one of the current ones?

midlandred2003

Let's hope they
don't keep the new stagecoach liveries.

Trident 4194

Quote from: j789 on December 14, 2021, 02:56:44 PM
Excellent news. Fingers crossed for the residents of Warwickshire that Stagecoach Midlands can amalgamate fully with NXWM/Cov to create a really good integrated transport network stretching from Oxford up to Cannock. Let's hope the monopoly commission keep their noses out otherwise passengers will get short changed by having multiple companies.

This sort of deal needs to be the future of bus travel, not lots of different companies with no common links.

Can I ask were you this excited when rotala acquired Hanson's, central buses or indeed redditch and Kidderminster?

DJ

Quote from: paulb1973 on December 14, 2021, 04:45:46 PM
In terms of identity, is there going to be a group colour-scheme, name, emblem etc. Or do they select one of the current ones?

Quote from: midlandred2003 on December 14, 2021, 05:08:33 PM
Let's hope they
don't keep the new stagecoach liveries.

It was mentioned in the press release that the Stagecoach brand is being retained. I could see NXWM being brought into the Stagecoach brand, since it'd be the odd one out in the group, with the coach operations retaining the National Express branding.

Stu

Quote from: DJ on December 14, 2021, 05:23:23 PM
It was mentioned in the press release that the Stagecoach brand is being retained. I could see NXWM being brought into the Stagecoach brand, since it'd be the odd one out in the group, with the coach operations retaining the National Express branding.

I think I speculated about this before, where I suggested the NX Bus divisions (NXWM and NXC) could eventually become absorbed into the Stagecoach Midlands operation. This obviously wouldn't happen straight away though.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

don

Quote from: DJ on December 14, 2021, 05:23:23 PM

This is an interesting question. Carla Stockton-Jones, current U.K. MD of Stagecoach is proposed as MD of U.K. Bus of the combined group - as ex (or legacy??!!) Stagecoach is the larger bus constituent of the combined group this makes sense I guess, although it's operation is significantly different from the West Midlands.

However, I would have thought it unlikely that the branding for buses in the West Midlands would change much as that would make little sense bearing in mind particularly the manner in which the Platinum brand has been developed, the remainder of the fleet largely consolidated into the crimson livery and established as a quality operator. Maybe some integration around Coventry could be sensible but again, NX Coventry is far more aligned with TfWM in terms of WM Bus than Stagecoach is.

It's notable the percentage of NX share value Stagecoach share holders will receive - an indicator of the relative values of the two companies.

We will have to wait and see what happens. It's quite ironic that NX should be taking over Stagecoach, given the reversed situation a decade or so ago - even more so Jorge Cosmen (current Deputy Chairman NX and proposed Deputy Chairman of the combined group) was involved in both.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

D10

Quote from: Stu on December 14, 2021, 06:40:46 PM
I think I speculated about this before, where I suggested the NX Bus divisions (NXWM and NXC) could eventually become absorbed into the Stagecoach Midlands operation. This obviously wouldn't happen straight away though.

West Midlands Travel Ltd (NXWM and NX Cov) 1600+ buses is far larger than Stagecoach Midlands, so it would be easier for the Stagecoach Midlands operations to be merged into West Midlands Travel I would have thought!

j789

Quote from: Trident 4194 on December 14, 2021, 05:12:01 PM
Can I ask were you this excited when rotala acquired Hanson's, central buses or indeed redditch and Kidderminster?

Well where to start??? One of the reasons why I'm happy about this is that it possibly rejoins large areas of former Midland Red operation that had been split up over many years. The second is that passengers in Warwickshire and surrounding area towns and cities WILL benefit from this merger if the current set ups are allowed to be kept. Direct platinum standard  services between Birmingham and Warwick, Leicester, Evesham, even Oxford will be possible! With the consistently poor train service to these areas, long distance bus travel now has the potential to be a viable option for passengers. With the Oxford services, increased links to London are also now possible from places farther afield. Combining Platinum and the 'Gold' brands will increase travel standards across a large area and integrated network tickets are now feasible. These are all benefits.

Now Rotala taking over those companies - why was I less excited? Perhaps because the benefits to passengers wasn't exactly obvious. Take the 226 route for example, I'd think having 2 operators Hanson's and Diamond, on there was better for passengers in terms of keeping fares down and increased frequencies. Is the current Rotala 226 matching the frequency of the former combined Diamond/Hanson's operation I'd be interested to know? As for Redditch and Kidderminster, whilst I know Rotala are trying to increase passenger numbers in those areas with better buses, the passenger experience in those areas is now worse than it was 15 or 20 years ago under Midland Red West, in terms of service provision and frequencies.

Also, those independents all had a 'unique' identity, particular Central, and the replacement services don't exactly stand out now (if those original routes even are still run now). How excited were you exactly with those particular takeovers???? 🤔

j789

Quote from: D10 on December 14, 2021, 08:39:24 PM
West Midlands Travel Ltd (NXWM and NX Cov) 1600+ buses is far larger than Stagecoach Midlands, so it would be easier for the Stagecoach Midlands operations to be merged into West Midlands Travel I would have thought!

Possibly NX Cov could be merged with the Stagecoach area to become NX South Midlands.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk