News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Proposed NX takeover of Stagecoach

Started by RW, September 21, 2021, 09:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

National Express to takeover Stagecoach Group? Really. Would there be any implications for West Midlands operations?

the trainbasher

I think the only problem would be Warks/CV + NEAT Flexibus

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

winston

the trainbasher

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

winston

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 21, 2021, 09:56:48 AM
They have Flix competition dont they?

I thought Flix competition was more targeted at NX coaches, but NX Coaches / Megabus are competitors on some routes.

@BK63 YWP - title amended

monkeyjoe

Interesting , speculate on brand names . Selling off Dundee was part of the plan to swoop longer term I'm guessing.

markcf83

Quote from: RW on September 21, 2021, 09:03:54 AM
National Express to takeover Stagecoach Group? Really. Would there be any implications for West Midlands operations?

Coventry definitely.....
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Stevo

Really amazing news. Would NX run out the crimson and platinum liveries onto Stagecoach vehicles? There's little competition problem with local services, just the Coventry to Leamington corridor. Would they renumber the NXWM fleet in the Stagecoach series? B7RLEs in 21000s, for instance? (That would make lots of work for Tony on this forum!)

Quote from: Stevo on September 21, 2021, 05:26:33 PM
Really amazing news. Would NX run out the crimson and platinum liveries onto Stagecoach vehicles? There's little competition problem with local services, just the Coventry to Leamington corridor. Would they renumber the NXWM fleet in the Stagecoach series? B7RLEs in 21000s, for instance? (That would make lots of work for Tony on this forum!)
Coventry to Nuneaton?
I guess if NX took them over any duplicated journeys on any service might cease to operate?

Also they might introduce new liveries for other places perhaps as Dundee had green and Coventry blue?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

ellspurs

Quote from: 2206 on September 21, 2021, 06:21:09 PM
Coventry to Nuneaton?
I guess if NX took them over any duplicated journeys on any service might cease to operate?

Also they might introduce new liveries for other places perhaps as Dundee had green and Coventry blue?

It's not like the Cov-Nuneaton corridor is struggling for capacity at the moment. It'd be more concerning with the Coventry-Warwick Uni-Leamington corridor.

don

Quote from: winston on September 21, 2021, 09:58:19 AM
I thought Flix competition was more targeted at NX coaches, but NX Coaches / Megabus are competitors on some routes.

@BK63 YWP - title amended

Is the name of the thread accurate? Stagecoach is around 27% of the size of Nat Ex so it is surely a takeover bid? (£0.375 million value v £1.4 billion values).
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Stu

National Express confirms consideration of bid for Stagecoach

National Express has confirmed that it is considering making an offer to buy Stagecoach. If completed, the deal will deliver "significant operational efficiencies across the combined networks" and accelerate the expansion of National Express's key growth sectors, including into the corporate, shuttle and private hire coach market, it says. Combination of the two groups would also position the resulting business well in an evolving bus industry landscape.

Under the terms of possible all-share combination, Stagecoach shareholders would receive 0.36 new National Express ordinary shares for each Stagecoach ordinary share. That would result in them owning approximately 25% of the combined group.

National Express has until 19 October to either announce a firm intention to make an offer for Stagecoach or to withdraw, although that deadline can be extended. Any deal would be subject to regulatory and merger control approval.

From: https://www.route-one.net/business-deals/national-express-confirms-consideration-of-stagecoach-bid/
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

Maybe the coaches would branded national express and the buses stage coach ?

ellspurs

Quote from: monkeyjoe on September 21, 2021, 06:46:52 PM

Well, if the franchising thing goes into effect and services are called "West Midlands Bus" of "TfGM Bus" etc., then it wouldn't ultimately matter if it were Stagecoach or NX. Stagecoach (for bus) and NX (for coaches) would be the smarter option regarding rebranding if these local franchises don't happen.

EDIT: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/21/national-express-buy-stagecoach-bus-company

News article that isn't Birmingham Mail/Cov Telegraph for once.

Stu

Quote from: monkeyjoe on September 21, 2021, 06:46:52 PM

When it comes to this kind of acquisition, it is probably more likely that the Stagecoach 'brand' will be kept as it is, and the Stagecoach group would just become incorporated into the wider National Express group.

So I don't really see much changing, maybe not at first anyway.

Nationally, National Express is better known as a coach operator, they only operate buses in the West Midlands now, whereas Stagecoach is a well known name for bus operations across the UK. So I suppose there is the possibility that NX West Midlands and NX Coventry could be added to the existing Stagecoach Midlands operations. But still, that would require a lot of work to get 1500+ vehicles repainted and reliveried.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk