News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Leyland Olympians/Volvo Citybuses

Started by sconehead85, July 25, 2012, 03:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Tyme

Quote from: j789 on July 28, 2012, 09:20:25 PM
I work for First in the Wyvern area and there are still older vehicles in the fleet such as the Lances (excellent vehicles that could go on for years but sadly cant) and pathfinders (terrible) but the fleet is well maintained with little graffetti or interior damage on buses. Just because the buses arent brand new does not mean the service given to passengers is not up to standard. I don't know about Northampton but in Worcester I think the bus service provided is good. Currently in the Wyvern area, child and family day tickets are half price  for the school hols showing that First is trying to promote bus travel and attract new customers. A family of five can travel to Brum and back for £6.25, which is far cheaper than the train or car.
As for the suggestion Rotala could register all First services in Redditch this would be somewhat risky as it wouldn't take much for an area such as Preston to be targeted in the future when First is in better shape. Stagecoach in the Devon situation is different because of its size.

I agree - First is making a success of Worcester.  Services are reasonably good, the vehicles are tidy, and it saw off a strong attempt by Diamond to get a foothold a la Redditch.

Redditch and Kidderminster are, of course, among a number of locations which First is believed to be trying to sell.  I can't see any point in Rotala registering more services in these areas - surely they are on all the profitable routes already.

nitromatt1

Although I am generally not a fan of Volvo buses, the Citybus will always remain my favourite vehicle of all time. The sound of a Voith-gearbox Citybus is the sound of my childhood and I could listen to it all day.

I heard the four Thandi Coaches Citybuses which I was brought up on (ex. First 30372, 30375, 31283 and 31309) have all been sold for scrap? Does anyone know anything about this?

I really hope they haven't as I always had a childish dream of buying 31309 (G543 RDS) one day! It was the best sounding of the Citybuses, never heard such a scream on any other bus, I absolutely loved it.

sconehead85

AFAIK  the Volvo Citybus fleet is down to 38098, 38121/2 at Northampton and 38125 at Newcastle.  These cannot have long to go but First seems to like hanging on to elderly buses.  There are some open toppers 38000-6/15 but obviously these are in Cornwall and I have read some Volvo Olympians without roofs may be replacing these.

There are still five Leyalnd Olympians at Newcastle, PMT's last new buses G753/5/7/8/62 XRE  new in 1989.  Ive got a feeling First will keep these until 2016, despite their age.

Other Leyland Olympians are at Plymouth and one remains in Scotland.

sconehead85

Bob

I hope they do keep the Olympians at Newcastle, I love it when they turn up in passenger service its a real treat!!! Never seen their Citybus on normal route tho

Ashley 4569

I've still not had my trip up to Newcastle, probably have to be the next school holiday when they may put some out in normal service. Other than that Essex is probably a tad far to chance getting some volvo olympians and Im not sure where there are many left that come out in normal service regularly

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk