News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Birmingham Airport/Train Station and NEC

Started by 966, April 08, 2012, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apart from the 966 and 900 are there any other routes operated by NXWM that go VIA the Airport and Train Station? I know there was the 58 which used to go there but is that still running as ive not come across it for a little while.

How come more routes don't run VIA the Airport or Station or is there just not enough demand?

I've seen warwickshire operators running there but surprised theres only 2 NX routes!

Stu

Probably not enough demand really.

The 58 was revised to serve parts of the withdrawn 42, and to restore a direct link from Small Heath to Solihull, which the 957 doesn't provide. Journeys to Sheldon were improved with the 957 and the increased frequency on the 60.

The 38 used to run between Birmingham and the Airport, via Acocks Green and Olton, but was withdrawn due to low passenger usage. Likewise, Silverline's S12 service, which partially replaced the 38, also met an undignified end.

I guess most people travelling to the Airport either go by train, or get a taxi.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Thanks.

I just assumed with it being next to the train station there would be some demand! But I guess not!

Thanks for the reply though. 

Stu

It's quite rare that I ever need to travel to the airport.  ::)

Even so, its no problem for me to just jump on the 11A to Swan Island, and then jump on a 900/900E if ever the need arises!  ;D

Also, there are plans to extend the Midland Metro, along the Coventry Road to the AIrport. Not for a few years yet though!
http://www.centro.org.uk/metro/BhamCityAirport.aspx
My locals:

D10

According to the Network West Midlands site, the 91 will be taken over by WMSNT from the 22nd April.

Tony

WMSNT have rented 3 Plaxton Primos from Central Connect as well as the darts and the solo pictured on my site for these new servcies

Nathan4775

with the 91 have an increased frequency ??
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Stu

My locals:

MW

There were rumours of the 97 being extended to the Airport a few years ago. Obviously didn't happen.

KayP

I personally don't think another route from Birmingham to Int Airport is necessary. You already get the 900 (every 15 mins) which covers Yardley and Sheldon and not to mention trains from New St to Int Airport (every 15 mins)

KayP

How about extending the 90 to B'ham Int Airport? Whenever I get it to Chelmsley Wood it's virtually empty, maybe this would give it more passengers + it would give a 15 minute frequency between b'ham int airport and chelmsley wood with the 966 and 90

Kevin

Makes sense to put this here ( and apologies for dragging up an old topic)...
Just found this article http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/birmingham-airport-most-accessible-uk-3573507
Apparently Birmingham airport is the most accessible. Although technically true I'm not entirely convinced it means anything, if you're going by bus even from local areas you have to change unless you happen to live on one of the few bus routes that actually do go to the airport, or go to a station and get the train. If you look at other airports they have a fairly extensive network of bus services, like Liverpool, the airport is smaller than Birmingham's and I suppose yes it is further from its station, but it has a fair number of routes. I always personally thought the only reason the 38 failed is because it wasn't frequent enough, and before anyone says anything I know there's much better options to get from the city centre to the airport but it isn't about that, its about the areas around acocks green and olton, possibly even hall green and shirley
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk