News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Last bus guarantee

Started by cardew, January 10, 2024, 07:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Tyme

Details of the last bus promise are on the TfWM Bus Passengers Charter page here -

https://www.tfwm.org.uk/plan-your-journey/ways-to-travel/buses-in-the-west-midlands/west-midlands-bus-passenger-s-charter/west-midlands-bus-passenger-s-charter/

The promise appears under "Your bus journeys".

The promise is to reimburse reasonable costs for an equivalent journey so, as Stu indicates, I would assume that the starting point will be "could the journey be done using one or more other bus services?"

The subject will raise several questions, but I have other things to do with my spare time than think of a load of scenarios.  But one question - does another Combined Authority or similar offer a last bus of the day promise?

MW

Quote from: Justin Tyme on January 11, 2024, 09:31:20 PMDetails of the last bus promise are on the TfWM Bus Passengers Charter page here -

https://www.tfwm.org.uk/plan-your-journey/ways-to-travel/buses-in-the-west-midlands/west-midlands-bus-passenger-s-charter/west-midlands-bus-passenger-s-charter/

The promise appears under "Your bus journeys".

The promise is to reimburse reasonable costs for an equivalent journey so, as Stu indicates, I would assume that the starting point will be "could the journey be done using one or more other bus services?"

The subject will raise several questions, but I have other things to do with my spare time than think of a load of scenarios.  But one question - does another Combined Authority or similar offer a last bus of the day promise?

LandFlight offer this. Whether this is a requirement for TfWM contracts, I don't know. 

Last bus of the day promise : If the last bus of the day does not run or departs early causing you to be stranded, you will be reimbursed reasonable costs for an equivalent journey. Any claim must be made in writing within 28 days of the incident and include evidence of additional expenses incurred.

https://www.landflight.co.uk/bus-services/

Jay71

Quote from: Stu on January 11, 2024, 08:55:26 PMThe way I'm reading this, it wouldn't apply, as the argument could be made that alternative bus services would be available that ran later into the evening, so you could still get home, even if less directly.

A few months ago the last 11 from Dudley to Walsall never showed up. So what would have been my alternative route?

One night a few weeks ago Diamond chose not to run any 42 services.  I wonder if ppl got taxis & claimed it back from Diamond 

Quote from: Mayfield on January 10, 2024, 08:45:25 PMSimple, Just run a proper bus service to the advertised time tables and there won't be any claims.
impossible to run every bus to advertised timetables even last buses, anti social behaviour, folks falling ill on the bus, RTA's, breakdowns, diversions, road works, acts of vandalism,bad weather, as a driver i have experienced all of this and more. 
To drivers the times stated on running boards is just a guide its not set in stone, drivers only responsibility to timetables is don't leave early unless told to do so by an inspector or traffic office. Folks  FORGET drivers are people not machines we drive at different paces, if i'm not in mood i drive slower sod the timetable it about finishing the duty in safe manner END OF.

Mayfield

Wow you have a wonder attitude towards your job.

j789

Quote from: Mayfield on January 14, 2024, 02:13:51 PMWow you have a wonder attitude towards your job.
I would take a guess that 2900 is a careful driver who has had minimal incidents over the years. I'm sure his passengers would rather get from a to b safely even if, at times, they may run a few minutes late.

I don't know what CPC recommendations NXWM use, but at First we were encouraged to use the Smith's system of driving to minimise incidents. As part of this, we were encouraged to spend an extra few seconds at stops (to ensure passengers sat down, etc). These few seconds add up to maybe 5 minutes over a full journey yet drastically reduce incidents on board the bus. 

Driving slower for safety reasons is completely different to those drivers who purposefully drive slowly so the bus behind has to pick up their passengers - that is unprofessional driving yet what 2900 details is perfectly reasonable in my view.

Tony

Quote from: j789 on January 14, 2024, 03:24:01 PMI would take a guess that 2900 is a careful driver who has had minimal incidents over the years. I'm sure his passengers would rather get from a to b safely even if, at times, they may run a few minutes late.

I don't know what CPC recommendations NXWM use, but at First we were encouraged to use the Smith's system of driving to minimise incidents. As part of this, we were encouraged to spend an extra few seconds at stops (to ensure passengers sat down, etc). These few seconds add up to maybe 5 minutes over a full journey yet drastically reduce incidents on board the bus.

Driving slower for safety reasons is completely different to those drivers who purposefully drive slowly so the bus behind has to pick up their passengers - that is unprofessional driving yet what 2900 details is perfectly reasonable in my view.
Exactly correct, Safety trumps everything else

Gareth

Driving safely and competently is highly commended.

"if i'm not in mood i drive slower sod the timetable" That, however is a disgusting attitude.

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: j789 on January 14, 2024, 03:24:01 PMI would take a guess that 2900 is a careful driver who has had minimal incidents over the years. I'm sure his passengers would rather get from a to b safely even if, at times, they may run a few minutes late.

NX do something similar from my experience as a Passenger they wait a few seconds for passengers to get to the seat. I would rather that than on a few other operators they pull off and get that bus into motion before I am even past the Wheelchair bay then forcing me to swing of the Grabrail to a seat. If you aren't at a seat by the time the NX driver pulls off they pull of slowly and safely so you don't fall or cause injury ie cuts or bruises as you get bashed around. 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

The 13A from Bearwood to Blackheath has plenty of seniors use this service i give them all the time in the world to be seated, experience and all the extra health/Safety training has brought on a different approach, somebody said some where you don't know what underlying health problems seniors could have, trips and falls could greatly do a lot of harm. 
i wish i had this knowledge when i started as young naive kid back then. 
Driving that bit slower also avoids excessive waiting at timing points, keep bus rolling if on time or minute or 2 down, punters thank you for it. As a kid it was hammer time between timing points and getting to terminus early different times eh.

Quote from: Gareth on January 14, 2024, 04:28:54 PMDriving safely and competently is highly commended.

"if i'm not in mood i drive slower sod the timetable" That, however is a disgusting attitude.
IS it are you a driver please share ,if you have had an incident on the bus your mood is greatly affected its called mental stress every one deals with it in there own way, THE RED MIST DESCENDING is a dangerous one, if others piss me off for just driving a bus i will drive slowly to get to relief point safely and i,ll pop into the Wetherspoons for a pint before i go home, my way of de'stressing and not taking  my shitty day home, its not for every one but it works for me seeing friendly faces over a beverage.

Celestial Toymaker

Quote from: Tony on January 10, 2024, 09:12:42 PMBut what if that's not possible?
once upon a time (not giving details) i was with a driver on 2 occasions when they were the last bus of the night, "GUARANTEED" was one word used "LAST BUS MUST RUN" was also stated, he broke down with fuel starvation (Metrobus), change bus was brought out and on one occasion it was a Fleetline, which he said was allowed to refuse as it was a late night duty, control told him as its the last service of the night, it must run, so you cannot refuse the Fleetline, you should have heard the language (off radio)
a month later it happened again, this time he got a National 2.

The Moral is there is always a change bus available so Last Bus Should Always Run, a fact that seems to have gone by the way side now, the last 87 rarely runs now
3000 F300 XOF

DJ on smoothmixfm.co.uk

Lukeee

Quote from: Celestial Toymaker on January 18, 2024, 04:29:26 PMonce upon a time (not giving details) i was with a driver on 2 occasions when they were the last bus of the night, "GUARANTEED" was one word used "LAST BUS MUST RUN" was also stated, he broke down with fuel starvation (Metrobus), change bus was brought out and on one occasion it was a Fleetline, which he said was allowed to refuse as it was a late night duty, control told him as its the last service of the night, it must run, so you cannot refuse the Fleetline, you should have heard the language (off radio)
a month later it happened again, this time he got a National 2.

The Moral is there is always a change bus available so Last Bus Should Always Run, a fact that seems to have gone by the way side now, the last 87 rarely runs now

Agreed I was always told the last bus of the night should run, indeed when I was a driver I've had instances when my bus has broken down or had windows smashed etc and I've had to have a replacement come out to run the last trip, however this is easier said than done due to the driver shortages these days

Justin Tyme

Quote from: 2900 on January 16, 2024, 12:18:11 AMThe 13A from Bearwood to Blackheath has plenty of seniors use this service i give them all the time in the world to be seated, experience and all the extra health/Safety training has brought on a different approach, somebody said some where you don't know what underlying health problems seniors could have, trips and falls could greatly do a lot of harm.
i wish i had this knowledge when i started as young naive kid back then.
Driving that bit slower also avoids excessive waiting at timing points, keep bus rolling if on time or minute or 2 down, punters thank you for it. As a kid it was hammer time between timing points and getting to terminus early different times eh.
Yep, different times. The days of get on the Fleetline quickly, hold tight as the bus moves off and brace yourself when the bus brakes (and the brakes could be fierce) are way in the past.

Not as fast-paced as it was, but smoother for everyone now as well as safer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk