News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Electric buses

Started by Mayfield, May 22, 2023, 05:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayfield

Great report on leicestermercury.co.uk that Leicester operates 24 of the grand total of 87 zero emission buses that operate outside of London.

ellspurs

Quote from: Mayfield on May 22, 2023, 05:08:23 PMGreat report on leicestermercury.co.uk that Leicester operates 24 of the grand total of 87 zero emission buses that operate outside of London.
To be fair to Leicester Mercury, that's what is actually in the report.

The data quotes December 2022, and the sumbitted evidence from NX says the 130 electric buses for Coventry are from 2023, so that might be why they don't pop up in the total.

Does it mean 4000 buses funded by this particular strategy? The NX ones are under a different initiative, from what I recall?

Owen

May I ask how electric buses are expected to cope in the winter. I'm seeing news of numerous potential blackouts/power cuts. 

When the fleet is (soon to be) fully zero emission, will this cause delays getting services ready? What will be done if this turns into a new ongoing problem throughout the winter season?

How will they be impacted in terms of winter weather throughout their lifetime anyway? - I know the cold weather can have an effect on battery percentage and performance... as they get older the test of time will tell. I can just imagine they'll deteriorate younger than diesels

Tony

Quote from: Owen on September 14, 2023, 08:57:51 PMMay I ask how electric buses are expected to cope in the winter. I'm seeing news of numerous potential blackouts/power cuts.

When the fleet is (soon to be) fully zero emission, will this cause delays getting services ready? What will be done if this turns into a new ongoing problem throughout the winter season?

How will they be impacted in terms of winter weather throughout their lifetime anyway? - I know the cold weather can have an effect on battery percentage and performance... as they get older the test of time will tell. I can just imagine they'll deteriorate younger than diesels
Not sure if you have noticed, but they have operated in the winter of 2020, 2021; 2022 already

Quote from: Owen on September 14, 2023, 08:57:51 PMMay I ask how electric buses are expected to cope in the winter. I'm seeing news of numerous potential blackouts/power cuts.

water  cooled/heated  battery's tend to be very good for life span where as none cooled battery's suffer much more 

Owen

How long till the new already built 30 are in use. October /November maybe? 

ellspurs

I noticed today in Oxford that the Brookes Bus services from Oxford Bus Company were now running electrics. I saw 719 and 713 on service 400 (Oxford Rail Station to Wheatley campus) and 715 on service 100. There was another electric on the 400 but I didn't catch the number. 

They may have been running for a while, but I only noticed today as I got stuck behind one waiting to turn into Wheatley campus, and noticed the green on the registration plate. Overall they seem to have retained the livery from the previous Brookes Bus services, with the information about the electric buses on the back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk