News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Strike Action

Started by monkeyjoe, December 14, 2022, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

Did I read correctly the engineers might be going on strike as they as upset about the drivers pay rise in relation to theres. 

Westy

Shared the details to my sister, so if you hear an 'explosion' in Wednesfield,  she's read my text!

Stu

It's not like the engineers are paid a pittance. I just checked the careers part of the National Express group website.

Bus drivers start on £11.80 per hour, rising to £14.80 depending on experience or time served.

Engineering technicians can earn between £16.50 - £22.50 per hour dependent on experience.

In my opinion, a 10.1% pay increase is not to be sniffed at, and the engineers have to appreciate that the drivers are being offered a 14% increase in order to stop them leaving the company, and to attract more drivers to fill the current shortfall and then retain them.

It must also be pointed out that at this point in time, although union members have voted in favour of strike action, it hasn't been formalised yet, so this is just very much at the 'threat' stage, and may not actually happen.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

Seems childish to me, only got 2% pay increase this year.

Ginger66

Quote from: monkeyjoe on December 14, 2022, 07:47:18 PMSeems childish to me, only got 2% pay increase this year.
I only got 2.5% where I work.   Plus £750 cost if living bonus to help me out.

B.C Driver

Quote from: Stu on December 14, 2022, 07:25:25 PMIt's not like the engineers are paid a pittance. I just checked the careers part of the National Express group website.

Bus drivers start on £11.80 per hour, rising to £14.80 depending on experience or time served.

Engineering technicians can earn between £16.50 - £22.50 per hour dependent on experience.

In my opinion, a 10.1% pay increase is not to be sniffed at, and the engineers have to appreciate that the drivers are being offered a 14% increase in order to stop them leaving the company, and to attract more drivers to fill the current shortfall and then retain them.

It must also be pointed out that at this point in time, although union members have voted in favour of strike action, it hasn't been formalised yet, so this is just very much at the 'threat' stage, and may not actually happen.

Well worded.

Also bear in mind drivers and engineers are two different kinds of job. Drivers are out there dealing with the public, traffic, road users etc
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

andy41

Quote from: Stu on December 14, 2022, 07:25:25 PMIt's not like the engineers are paid a pittance. I just checked the careers part of the National Express group website.

And you don't think engineers might look to leave the company? Vocational engineers are highly sought after at the moment, even more so than drivers. 

Sh4318

I'm not gonna comment on the proposed pay package, or the motivations behind striking, because I don't feel like it's my place

I just hope both parties come to an agreement so that passenger services aren't affected
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

karl724223

Drivers not been offered 14% wrong info being given out

metrocity

Quote from: karl724223 on December 15, 2022, 08:55:10 PMDrivers not been offered 14% wrong info being given out
Higher than that then !?

karl724223

Quote from: metrocity on December 15, 2022, 09:05:30 PMHigher than that then !?
not commenting on that as drivers wage negotiations are still ongoing

wish i knew who the sources are, drivers pay talks UNITE rejected 14% in the papers ,15% from other sources blah blah, we driver,s haven't heard a bean from UNITE

Drivers have rejected NX  final so called pay offer by a whopping 95% , now down to NX to improve the offer or we strike 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk