News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus Franchising In Manchester

Started by DJ, March 25, 2021, 03:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

QuoteAndy Burnham has today announced Greater Manchester's buses will be franchised in a historic move.

The region will take over control of its bus network in a move that will change thousands of customers lives after the Mayor approved the recommendation from nine council leaders.

It means Greater Manchester will become the first place outside of London to have a regulated system since the 1980s.

Buses on the local network will still be run by private companies but the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) will have control over fares, timetables and routes, and will integrate ticketing across buses, trains and trams.

Speaking at Ashton-under-Lyne Interchange this afternoon, the Mayor called the move the 'biggest change to our bus network in 35 years'.

He said franchising was the right option and that the region needs a London-style bus system, 'which we can only achieve when we are in control'.

'It will mean simpler fares and ticketing. You will be able to use your tickets on all Greater Manchester buses and hop on and hop off. You will know how much your tickets will cost.

Source

As per that article, it's set to start in 2023, with Wigan and Bolton to be the first boroughs to get franchising.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Busboy105

Quote from: DJ on March 25, 2021, 03:15:49 PM
Source

As per that article, it's set to start in 2023, with Wigan and Bolton to be the first boroughs to get franchising.
I remember seeing a post on here from a user who was talking about how poor Manny's buses are. Hope he/she's happy with the news.

BN

In layman's terms is this correct then?

GNW have had Bolton depot from Diamond and Wigan depot from Stagecoach
Diamond have had Bolton depot from Arriva
2nd tranche
Stagecoach take Queens Road depot from GNW

midlandred2003

Quote from: BN on October 07, 2023, 10:18:23 AMIn layman's terms is this correct then?

GNW have had Bolton depot from Diamond and Wigan depot from Stagecoach
Diamond have had Bolton depot from Arriva
2nd tranche
Stagecoach take Queens Road depot from GNW
Stagecoach will also take over Oldham of First and I believe First will have Transdevs site in Rochdale.

markcf83

Quote from: midlandred2003 on October 07, 2023, 11:31:20 AMStagecoach will also take over Oldham of First and I believe First will have Transdevs site in Rochdale.
Just out of interest and curiosity,what at First planning to be running in Rochdale? 
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

MW

Quote from: markcf83 on October 14, 2023, 02:09:27 PMJust out of interest and curiosity,what at First planning to be running in Rochdale?

https://www.route-one.net/news/first-manchester-orders-mellor-strata-plus-for-bee-network/

They've placed an order for 17x Mellor Strata Plus, which of course are manufactured by Mellor who are also based in Rochdale.

BN

Did Arriva win anything or just lost Bolton?
No Arriva in Manchester now then?

Tony

Quote from: BN on October 15, 2023, 09:42:59 AMDid Arriva win anything or just lost Bolton?
No Arriva in Manchester now then?
Arriva still have Wythenshaw depot at the moment

winston

Have Tranche 3 bids already been submitted? If so, when are awards expected to be announced?

Rachvince53

Quote from: winston on October 15, 2023, 02:18:16 PMHave Tranche 3 bids already been submitted? If so, when are awards expected to be announced?
Deadline is 10th November so presumably some have been.  Results to be announced next Spring with a start date in early 2025.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk