News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Dudley Bus Station

Started by 4679, September 29, 2018, 08:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo1

Quote from: Tony on February 15, 2021, 06:52:16 PM
How do you propose fitting it into a different shape?
would b bigger just need to te route the rd round it

Camborne, Truro & Penzance have drive in reverse out layout as well as St Ives.
Quote from: ellspurs on February 15, 2021, 06:15:46 PM
I remember it being a novelty when the buses used to reverse in the Staffordshire villages when on their jaunts to Bewdley or Bridgnorth.
From what I remember they used to have to reverse to get out at the Havens Holiday Park place in Hayle, the bus stop being the pylon thing.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.1967548,-5.42531,3a,90y,260.4h,84.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ss_e2q5TE4Ygp_Re6SFGy8g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

They might have reversed at Porthowan/Perranporth as well I think on the A4 route.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: Solo1 on February 15, 2021, 08:13:15 PM
would b bigger just need to te route the rd round it

And how would buses get in from that side then?

Roy

The footprint of the existing bus station prevents the Metro from getting up Birmingham Street.  Therefore the shape must change to accommodate the Metro and provide a tram stop alongside the new building.

In addition, at the start of 2020, 79% of all bus stations in the UK were drive in, reverse out.

Crosville

I prefer drive in reverse out, aka sawtooth style bus stations, the stands are on one concourse, so passengers don't have to cross over the busway, so everything can be enclosed on the passenger side.

Bus_user_jay

I've been to a few in different locations around the country and they seem to work well. I know the one in Paignton very well. The 12 which is a frequent service and passes through Paignton, has 4 bays (1 for each direction, and a layover for each direction). Don't know if the same thing would be needed in Dudley though as the most frequent services terminate there i.e. 1, 74, 87

Pat

Quote from: Bus_user_jay on February 15, 2021, 10:33:12 PM
I've been to a few in different locations around the country and they seem to work well. I know the one in Paignton very well. The 12 which is a frequent service and passes through Paignton, has 4 bays (1 for each direction, and a layover for each direction). Don't know if the same thing would be needed in Dudley though as the most frequent services terminate there i.e. 1, 74, 87
There is no way you could have a layover bay for each service.  There will no doubt be some sort of parking area for buses.

Ian Hardy

In Scotland: Edinburgh, Kilmarnock, Dundee & Hamilton also are reverse out and all have banksmen.
Ayr, Cumnock, Dunfermline, Galashields, Glenrothes, Kirkcaldy, Leven, St Andrews &, Stirling have reverse out but I am not sure whether they have banksmen or not.

In England the following long list have reverse out:
Alnwick
Morpeth
Newcastle - Haymarket, Eldon Square & the Coach Station
South Shields
Consett
Stanley
Durham
Beverley
Kingston upon Hull
Harrogate
Seacroft
Leeds
Bradford
Castleford
Cleckheaton
Dewsbury
Keighley
Skipton
Huddersfield
Wakefield
Barnsley
Lincoln
Grantham
Peterborough
Retford
Newark upon Trent
Mansfield
Nottingham Victoria
Derby
Lancaster
Preston
Chorley
Blackburn
Accrington
Burnley
Nelson
Rawtenstall
Rochdale
Bolton
Wigan
Middleton
Trafford Centre
Warrington
Skelmersdale
Crewe
Newcastle under Lyne
Hanley
Longton
Shrewsbury
Chippenham
Banbury
Oxford
Swindon
Newbury
High Wycombe
Slough
Heathrow CBS
Kingston upon Thames Cromwell Road
Hertford
Cambridge
Northampton
Bletchley
Bedford
Huntingdon
Kings Lynn
Wisbech
Lowestoft
Ipswich Old Cattle Market
Basildon
Stansted Airport
Canterbury
Brighton Pool Valley
Horsham
Andover
Basingtoke
Aldershot
Guildford
Havant
Chichester
Portsmouth The Hard
Fareham
Bournemouth
Poole
Truro
Camborne
Penzance

In Wales:
Newport
Pontypridd
Aberdare
Caerphilly
Cwmbran
Bridgend
Port Talbot (x2)
Neath
Swansea
Carmarthen
Wrexham

I am sure that I have missed some but there are quite a few around the UK, the main areas they don't have them are Merseyside, West Midlands & Greater London.

Pat

Quote from: Ian Hardy on February 15, 2021, 10:55:40 PM
In Wales:
Newport
Pontypridd
Aberdare
Caerphilly
Cwmbran
Bridgend
Port Talbot (x2)
Neath
Swansea
Carmarthen
Wrexham
*Blackwood

Cwmbran sort of is and sort of isn't.  You can drive straight off the stand, if there isn't a bus on the stand in front. 

Bus_user_jay

Quote from: Pat on February 15, 2021, 10:50:25 PM
There is no way you could have a layover bay for each service.  There will no doubt be some sort of parking area for buses.

Oh I understand that absolutely. Some services would have to share, just like how they do now (Otherwise you'd need double the space!). I'm just thinking of the high frequency routes (1, 74, 87, maybe 8/X8), would there need to be an overflow stand? Two 87's or two 74's both arriving at Dudley isn't that unusual afterall. I know there is one for the 4/4H/4M at Bradford Place, and isn't there one at West Bromwich Bus Station for the 74 Birmingham bound?

Roy

The plans for Dudley Bus Station were shown at a meeting I attended early last year before Covid started.  The main building will occupy the site currently occupied by the Farmfoods supermarket.  There will definitely be layover bays on site away from the main departure bays.  Dudley Council have produced a fly-through video of new developments in the town centre.  The bus station is about 2 minutes into the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOwZHaOmudQ&ab_channel=dudleymbc

Pat

Quote from: Bus_user_jay on February 16, 2021, 01:03:01 AM
Oh I understand that absolutely. Some services would have to share, just like how they do now (Otherwise you'd need double the space!). I'm just thinking of the high frequency routes (1, 74, 87, maybe 8/X8), would there need to be an overflow stand? Two 87's or two 74's both arriving at Dudley isn't that unusual afterall. I know there is one for the 4/4H/4M at Bradford Place, and isn't there one at West Bromwich Bus Station for the 74 Birmingham bound?
At the moment, the current number of layover parking areas is sufficient.  There's roughly 14 bays, 7 on the bus station and 7 ish on the area of land at the back.

There's a couple of bays on Bradford Street, which is for use of any Bradford Place service.  Thandi usually park on there and take their breaks.

markcf83

Quote from: Ian Hardy on February 15, 2021, 10:55:40 PM
In Scotland: Edinburgh, Kilmarnock, Dundee & Hamilton also are reverse out and all have banksmen.
Ayr, Cumnock, Dunfermline, Galashields, Glenrothes, Kirkcaldy, Leven, St Andrews &, Stirling have reverse out but I am not sure whether they have banksmen or not.

In England the following long list have reverse out:
Alnwick
Morpeth
Newcastle - Haymarket, Eldon Square & the Coach Station
South Shields
Consett
Stanley
Durham
Beverley
Kingston upon Hull
Harrogate
Seacroft
Leeds
Bradford
Castleford
Cleckheaton
Dewsbury
Keighley
Skipton
Huddersfield
Wakefield
Barnsley
Lincoln
Grantham
Peterborough
Retford
Newark upon Trent
Mansfield
Nottingham Victoria
Derby
Lancaster
Preston
Chorley
Blackburn
Accrington
Burnley
Nelson
Rawtenstall
Rochdale
Bolton
Wigan
Middleton
Trafford Centre
Warrington
Skelmersdale
Crewe
Newcastle under Lyne
Hanley
Longton
Shrewsbury
Chippenham
Banbury
Oxford
Swindon
Newbury
High Wycombe
Slough
Heathrow CBS
Kingston upon Thames Cromwell Road
Hertford
Cambridge
Northampton
Bletchley
Bedford
Huntingdon
Kings Lynn
Wisbech
Lowestoft
Ipswich Old Cattle Market
Basildon
Stansted Airport
Canterbury
Brighton Pool Valley
Horsham
Andover
Basingtoke
Aldershot
Guildford
Havant
Chichester
Portsmouth The Hard
Fareham
Bournemouth
Poole
Truro
Camborne
Penzance

In Wales:
Newport
Pontypridd
Aberdare
Caerphilly
Cwmbran
Bridgend
Port Talbot (x2)
Neath
Swansea
Carmarthen
Wrexham

I am sure that I have missed some but there are quite a few around the UK, the main areas they don't have them are Merseyside, West Midlands & Greater London.

There's two bus stations in Newport, one for the Newport Bus network and one used principally by Stagecoach South Wales.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

bususer28

Quote from: Tony on February 15, 2021, 06:25:28 PM
Drive in reverse out works well in other parts of the country, Glasgow is an extremely busy example but I have never seen any problems there
The only problem I can see with it is how sprint buses will reverse out or are they going to stop somewhere else because I don't think reversing an articulated bus is something easy to do. 

DJ

Quote from: bususer28 on February 16, 2021, 03:01:28 PM
The only problem I can see with it is how sprint buses will reverse out or are they going to stop somewhere else because I don't think reversing an articulated bus is something easy to do.

Previously released plans had a separate stand(s) for Sprint services, alongside the drive in, reverse out stands for regular services.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk