News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bendies on the 4

Started by Isobel6725, June 03, 2017, 09:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Coventry Transport Dude

Quote from: Tony on February 24, 2018, 09:11:36 AM
6021 is out again today

Many thanks Tony for telling me about 6021 being out today, as it's very much appreciated !  I wasn't able to get out as early as i'd planned to go and photograph it, as i had a few jobs to do first, but when i did eventually get down to Lockhurst Lane Railway Bridge this afternoon, i must have just missed 6021 by a matter of minutes ???  Reason being, that i got to the Bridge at about 2pm, but every other No.4 Bus (a Double Decker !) came past me except 6021 ?  I did start to think it might have been taken off the road for some reason, but then after 1 hour and 35 minutes of waiting up on that freezing cold Bridge (lol), finally it arrives ! ("HAPPY DAYS", i say to myself !).  By this time, my feet and fingers had gone virtually numb due to the biting cold wind, so how i managed to take a photo of it is beyond me ???lol.  Was considering then whether to head straight down to Courtaulds Canal Bridge as i'd planned and photograph it coming over that, but because my feet had virtually started to seize up at this point (lol), i just stuck around for an extra 25 minutes and took another photo of 6021 on its return back over the Bridge, while on its way back to Town and later onwards then to University Hospital. (It's terminus !).  I did photograph every other Coventry Bus that crossed over the Bridge today and that even included Stagecoach Buses to, which is something i very rarely photograph, but i'm glad that i did and wish now that i'd have done it years ago ?

As for 6021 though, it was the only Bendi-bus out today and as it went off down along Lockhurst Lane and into the distance, i did start to wonder whether that will be the last time i ever see that Bus running in service ?  Hopefully not and i'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed that you Tony, or JoNi, or somebody else, will post on here next week that it's out on the 4 again !

Ben

Do we know how long the bendi's are going to last/When they're final day will be?

Thanks

Tony

Quote from: Ben on February 27, 2018, 01:03:40 AM
Do we know how long the bendi's are going to last/When they're final day will be?

Thanks

This week could very well be the last. The maintenance parts contract finishes tomorrow, so 6021 will carry on until it needs something!

dingding

Quote from: Tony on February 27, 2018, 10:04:01 AM
This week could very well be the last. The maintenance parts contract finishes tomorrow, so 6021 will carry on until it needs something!
Has 6015 already been withdrawn then?

Tony

Quote from: dingding on February 27, 2018, 01:12:35 PM
Has 6015 already been withdrawn then?

Not officially withdrawn yet, but won't re-appear

Sandy Lane

6021 was out earning its keep early this am

Ben

Quote from: Tony on February 27, 2018, 10:04:01 AM

Sounds ominous!

Coventry Transport Dude

I saw withdrawn Bendi-buses 6014 and 6020 both parked out in the yard at the front of Wheatley Street Garage this afternoon !

Coventry Transport Dude

I went for a trip out on 6021 again this afternoon, as i thought i'd make the most of it while i still can ?lol.  The Driver of it, was the same guy who i spoke to on it last Friday and is the guy who is seriously keen on preserving one, possibly 6015 !  I've taken his contact details from him, as i said that i'd try and find out who specifically he has to contact, in order for him to make his inquiry and hopefully to try and set the wheels in motion ?  Does anyone here on this forum, know the phone number, or have a contact address at all please (Email or Postal !) for the people responsible for the sale of any West Midlands Buses, as i can pass this information on then to the Driver concerned ! (Any help at all on this would be very much appreciated !!!!!).

As for a place to keep a Bendi (if it was to be purchased ?), i've mentioned a storage yard here in Coventry, in Oban Road, Longford, as a preserved "WMPTE" Fleetline was parked in there once, among all the Lorries and Coaches etc that were also parked in there at the time !  Other than DeCourcey's yard as well, up in Baginton, i don't really know of anywhere else that would be able to accommodate a Bendi-bus ???  If it had to be parked up outside of Coventry, i can't see as that would be a problem, providing that the place was safe and secure !

Anyway, it's a case now really of just to "WATCH THIS SPACE" and hopefully this Driver might be able to do something and help to save a Coventry Bendi-bus ??? (He seriously is keen on doing so !).

Steveminor

It's not just the storage you have to think of but also the upkeep of the bus. Not too many places that will be able to maintain the vehicle. Parts will be extortionate & the fuel costs will be much higher than any other bus. That's probably why you don't see many bendies preserved.

Coventry Transport Dude

Quote from: Steveminor on February 27, 2018, 10:34:55 PM
It's not just the storage you have to think of but also the upkeep of the bus. Not too many places that will be able to maintain the vehicle. Parts will be extortionate & the fuel costs will be much higher than any other bus. That's probably why you don't see many bendies preserved.

Thank you for your reply Steveminor, as i appreciate it and will let the Driver know what you've mentioned here above !  He did say that he wouldn't be using that much if he did buy one and would probably only take it to a few local rally events each year ?  I'd certainly hate for him to end up with a "WHITE ELEPHANT" though and it does make sense for him to seriously consider the possible costs involved in the upkeep of one ?  If he's able to contact somebody at West Midlands and speak to them about it, then i guess the ball will be in his court then on what he decides to do, but thank you again though for your help and especially for pointing out the negatives of owning a Bendi, as it's certainly a good point you've made there !!!!! (He might end up having to keep it as just a static display ???lol).

Gareth

Maybe I'm becoming an increasingly cynical person. If the driver was as serious as he sounds as wanting to preserve one, then he would have made the relevant enquiries. He works for the company after all. Rather than relying on a member of the public to post on a forum asking other members of the public for advice or hoping that the right people within NX see the post.

However saying that, if he is indeed serious, them I wish him all the very best!

Tony

Just at the moment the remaining 5 complete bendies are not for sale

Coventry Transport Dude

Quote from: Gareth on February 28, 2018, 07:26:49 AM
Maybe I'm becoming an increasingly cynical person. If the driver was as serious as he sounds as wanting to preserve one, then he would have made the relevant enquiries. He works for the company after all. Rather than relying on a member of the public to post on a forum asking other members of the public for advice or hoping that the right people within NX see the post.

However saying that, if he is indeed serious, them I wish him all the very best!

I promise you there's nothing wrong Gareth in being cynical, as i appreciate your reply and respect yours and everyone's opinions on this forum !  To be fair on the Driver in question, he no-doubt would have made a move himself eventually to speak to someone about buying a Bendi, but what i think was putting him off from even bothering to do so, was that he had no idea at all where he would be able to keep it once he'd got it ???  I myself then offered to ask around on his behalf (by Phone and on this Forum !) and see if i could find a safe and secure place for him to keep it, as that would solve a problem for him there and it may well just give him a slight nudge then to go ahead and buy one, if that's what he really wants to do, which it is !  You're dead right in what you say, in that he could easily have asked someone inside Wheatley Street Garage for a contact number / address of who to speak to, with regards to the sale of a Bus, but again, i then said that i'd try and find all that information out for him and then contact him afterwards with all the details !  Some might say that i'm basically trying to put everything on a plate for him (as the saying goes !) and i guess i am, but if i can help someone try and get something that they really want, then i'll certainly do my best to help them do so, but at the same time, i'll make sure that they know the negative side of owning a Bendi-bus to. (Would hate for him to end up having to be continuously spending, just to keep the thing roadworthy and in preservation full stop !).  I'd be sad to see the Bendi-buses disappear from the Bus scene completely and it certainly would be nice to see one saved (even if it was as a static display somewhere ?), but i'll leave that up to the Driver in question on what he eventually decides to do there ???  From what Tony has posted after you Gareth, the Bendi's are currently not for sale at the moment anyway, so no need for him to worry about them for the time being !!!!

Thanks again though Gareth for your reply !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk