News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Arriva X31

Started by Tomjusttom, April 05, 2012, 10:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think the X51 to Cannock, permanently would be the only solution then, it'll be a shame if they get rid of the X51, I've never seen it empty, and the branding's appealing, overall it seems like a great route. Couldn't another bus company try and get the X31 contract?

D10

Don't think the X31 is a contract, it would be  a commercial service, but as the smaller operators tend to have lower operating costs, one of them may try it commercially.

If that happens, I think Diamond should take it over, although the buses they would use probably wouldn't be as new as the omnilinks they currently use on it

Bob

the driver on monday said it prob wont go theres been loads of people complaining about it & a councillor is getting involved

Jack Grove

Unfortunately, it's difficult to envisage something working if one of the "big boys" can't manage to sustain it with four year-old Scanias and some pretty solid marketing. From observation, it seems that while morning peak outbound journeys carry healthy numbers, the return leg carries very little (and vice versa in the afternoon peak). So effectively, what might be a full bus is actually half-full once it's come back from Birmingham. There also seem to be very few punters beyond Bentley when Birmingham-bound.

Even to consider just running peak journeys - which one would presume to be the "bread and butter" - is befouled by heavy traffic with the route that the X31 takes at present. I hope I'm wrong however, and it would be nice to see someone have a pop at something which clearly isn't a total farce.

Likewise, Arriva do seem to have left it to its own devices somewhat - with buses seen running anything up to half-an-hour late for the bulk of the day.

notepanel

From my personal experience I have found that morning peaks into Birmingham have an 'ok' load, but that buses in the mid-morning into Birmingham and late afternoon out have very good loads. That said these seem to be mostly old people, n-bus pass holders and Staffordshire young person card holders.

I agree with Jack about the route being left to it's own devices. Arriva don't have radios so it's very much up to the driver whether to ring the traffic office or to take a route avoiding traffic.

A suggestion I'd have tried prior to deciding on withdrawal would have been to divert the service away from the expressway and instead to follow the X51 route up to J7. This could allow additional passengers from Scott Arms & Tower Hill?, whilst perhaps at times being quicker than queuing on the expressway and at J8 on the M6.

MW

At the end of the day only Arriva know whether it's viable or not. If they are cancelling, there must be a damn good reason. End of.

Ash

If a person uses an n bus ticket or an n network ticket does the bus company get a small fee for this pass or is the operator given an amount of money which is set annually or monthly, i also ask this becuase when you use an n network pass on a train the conductor when checking the ticket does not record the pass so how do train companies claim back the money for the pass becuase if no records 1 or 100 people on board could have these passes?

Tony

Quote from: Ash on April 19, 2012, 09:46:24 PM
If a person uses an n bus ticket or an n network ticket does the bus company get a small fee for this pass or is the operator given an amount of money which is set annually or monthly, i also ask this becuase when you use an n network pass on a train the conductor when checking the ticket does not record the pass so how do train companies claim back the money for the pass becuase if no records 1 or 100 people on board could have these passes?

nNetwork money is divided up by first of all splitting it into two (not equal) parts. One part is then divided up between the rail companies using the same formula as used for ordinary rail tickets. For example a single from Birmingham New Street to Birmingham International will be split between the selling company, London Midland, Virgin, Cross Country & Arriva Trains Wales based on estimated number of passengers each carries between the stations.

The bus part is then divided between all operators that accept the tickets on the basis of mileage operated

Ash

Quote from: Tony on April 19, 2012, 09:53:21 PM
Quote from: Ash on April 19, 2012, 09:46:24 PM

nNetwork money is divided up by first of all splitting it into two (not equal) parts. One part is then divided up between the rail companies using the same formula as used for ordinary rail tickets. For example a single from Birmingham New Street to Birmingham International will be split between the selling company, London Midland, Virgin, Cross Country & Arriva Trains Wales based on estimated number of passengers each carries between the stations.

The bus part is then divided between all operators that accept the tickets on the basis of mileage operated

Thank you for the information, always wondered how it was worked out

Bob

According to the north walsall councillor, there are going to be talks with Centro during the next few days over the X31!!

Nathan4775

Quote from: Stu on April 14, 2012, 06:36:30 PM
Quote from: NathanJC on April 14, 2012, 05:47:21 PM
Cannock, Lichfield, Tamworth an NBus is not valid. But I say it should be becuase Tamworth comes under Birmingham Postcodes

If you apply that logic, then Bromsgrove and Redditch should too, as they have Birmingham postcodes. And Kidderminster has Dudley postcodes.

nBus ticket is provided by Network West Midlands. And the clue is in the name, West Midlands. Tamworth is not in the West Midlands.

That bus pass (NBus) is valid within Birmingham, I thought Birmingham was from B1 - B98 If it was to opertate in Tamworth then it should be along the 110 route 8)
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

MW

Quote from: NathanJC on May 04, 2012, 05:48:30 PM
Cannock, Lichfield, Tamworth an NBus is not valid. But I say it should be becuase Tamworth comes under Birmingham Postcodes

If you apply that logic, then Bromsgrove and Redditch should too, as they have Birmingham postcodes. And Kidderminster has Dudley postcodes.

nBus ticket is provided by Network West Midlands. And the clue is in the name, West Midlands. Tamworth is not in the West Midlands.

That bus pass (NBus) is valid within Birmingham, I thought Birmingham was from B1 - B98 If it was to opertate in Tamworth then it should be along the 110 route 8)

No it isn't you moron. nBus is valid in the West Midlands, not Birmingham. Tamworth is in Staffordshire. The other places are in Worcestershire.

Bob

looks like the X31 is gonna be saved by Centro & staffordshire county council, in a revised form

Nathan4775

Quote from: Michael on May 04, 2012, 07:47:09 PM
Quote from: NathanJC on May 04, 2012, 05:48:30 PM

No it isn't you moron. nBus is valid in the West Midlands, not Birmingham. Tamworth is in Staffordshire. The other places are in Worcestershire.

Techinally Tamworth comes under Birmingham
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk