News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Still low on drivers?

Started by MW, March 02, 2016, 03:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiptonian

Quote from: Winston on March 02, 2016, 10:38:40 PM
By simply comparing hourly rates of pay between staff & agency it isn't like for like, NX will not have to pay agency staff holiday pay, sick pay or NI employer contributions for starters on top of the hourly rate they pay their own drivers as they are not their staff.

Agency staff are generally a short term solution to cover for shortages and can be finished at a short notice.

True, it is not like for like. NX would have to pay the agency considerably more than the hourly rate received by the agency driver to cover the agency employee costs and profits. If it did not cost considerably more, they would use agency drivers more to cover such things as holidays and short-term requirements.

andy41

Quote from: Winston on March 02, 2016, 10:38:40 PM

Agency staff are generally a short term solution to cover for shortages and can be finished at a short notice.

That's what they said in Haulage 20 years ago Winston and the job still runs on Agency and short term contracts with no terms or conditions.

I genuinely never thought it would happen to buses, but here we are,

Any company that builds its operation around short term agency staff will soon start to feel the damage that this policy causes in the long term.

Quote from: Tiptonian on March 02, 2016, 10:28:17 PM
But it does work for the management.

Divide and rule is the oldest trick in the book. After the initial relief of getting a job, the realities of the job start to dawn, together with the resentment of feeling second class because you can never catch up to a top-rate driver, no matter how conscientious you are and what a lead swinger he is.  Lower-rate drivers will thus vote against anything that will disadvantage them in favour of higher-rate drivers, and vice-versa for high rate drivers to maintain differentials and their own superiority. The more rates, the more division, and the resulting bad feeling creates disunity among the drivers. No-one has the desire or stomach for an all-out strike nowadays as there is too much to lose. Management attitude is if you don't like what we do, there's the door. If experienced people leave they can be replaced at lower cost. If low-rate drivers leave, well, a few lost is worth the gains. The use of agency staff proves they can afford to pay more. Until it change this approach, which is very common in the industry, it will always be short of drivers, who can in turn be blamed for not wanting the overtime, whether that is true or not.

Yes, people will moan in any industry, but these guys get it from every direction. They have plenty to moan about.
when I started it was £4.95 an hour I think back then which wasn't to bad when you compare the bills of today. We were told you will never see top rate, due to severe shortage of drivers then management backed down eventually and offered market rate drivers top rate through a 5 year rate of progression, quite a few  left because of it because couldn't stomach another 5 years, it meant at the time some drivers would have done 13 years service on market rate.  Drivers who are coming into the job today seem to forget we,ve put years in to get top rate. From personal point of view I never agree to any pay deal because we all know they can pay more, for me now personally top rate doesn't mean shit I just want to do something where I  can be treated as a person, I don't what it is as soon as get in that cab you become dehumanised some how.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: 2900 on March 03, 2016, 10:27:00 AM
when I started it was £4.95 an hour I think back then which wasn't to bad when you compare the bills of today. We were told you will never see top rate, due to severe shortage of drivers then management backed down eventually and offered market rate drivers top rate through a 5 year rate of progression, quite a few  left because of it because couldn't stomach another 5 years, it meant at the time some drivers would have done 13 years service on market rate.  Drivers who are coming into the job today seem to forget we,ve put years in to get top rate. From personal point of view I never agree to any pay deal because we all know they can pay more, for me now personally top rate doesn't mean shit I just want to do something where I  can be treated as a person, I don't what it is as soon as get in that cab you become dehumanised some how.

What job would pay the same though without being forced to do 50hours a week?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

B.C Driver

Quote from: Liverpool Street on March 03, 2016, 10:46:45 AM
What job would pay the same though without being forced to do 50hours a week?

The bottom line is we deserve a decent pay rise, not a poultry pay rise year after year.
There are plenty of jobs that pay the same, but don't have the responsibility of driving hundreds of people around every day safely, that don't force you to inhale cigarettes or drugs, deal with drunks, irate passengers.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on March 03, 2016, 12:38:40 PM
The bottom line is we deserve a decent pay rise, not a poultry pay rise year after year.
There are plenty of jobs that pay the same, but don't have the responsibility of driving hundreds of people around every day safely, that don't force you to inhale cigarettes or drugs, deal with drunks, irate passengers.
here here I agree , as I ,ve said on another thread I,m prepaid to take a cut in pay, just so I don't have to deal with the cattle. I currently earn £72 for a duty after tax,stoppages etc average duty compass at west brom is 8hrs 45 mins So that's works to be £8.52 an hr , that drops even further on split duty. Your average joe thinks bus drivers earn fortunes you can if your prepared to  live at at garage live and breathe diesel fumes. There are plenty of those types at every garage ,some of these guys don't understand the abuse given to them , they come to me and say this was said to me what does it mean, these guys laugh it off where as I wanna use a baseball bat. Fun an games

monkeyjoe

I think there are people who probably have it a lot worse than bus drivers and probably get treated a lot worse. Like I say everyone needs to get stuff of their chest I suppose.

Mike K

Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 03, 2016, 06:43:41 PM
I think there are people who probably have it a lot worse than bus drivers and probably get treated a lot worse. Like I say everyone needs to get stuff of their chest I suppose.

With unsociable hours, weekend working, split shifts, low pay, anti-social behaviour, horrendous traffic and the shocking driving and parking behaviour of many road users, I can think of few jobs I'd less rather do.

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Mike K on March 03, 2016, 07:10:13 PM
With unsociable hours, weekend working, split shifts, low pay, anti-social behaviour, horrendous traffic and the shocking driving and parking behaviour of many road users, I can think of few jobs I'd less rather do.

You should try working at Amazon ! The 10 hour shifts are remarkably tiring not to mention you get policed and hassled if your not hitting your "rates"
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

AndrewLee

I personally still enjoy the job for the most part. Been in nearly five years. Enjoy driving anyway so that's a bonus. I engage with the passengers wherever possible, makes the day  go a bit quicker. Take my time in the traffic, if that car wants to go in front that's fine, I'll take a timed ticket thanks very much! I don't check fares or tickets that's what Revenue are for - saves a whole load of stress!

BU07 LGO

Quote from: AndrewLee on March 03, 2016, 07:48:53 PM
I personally still enjoy the job for the most part. Been in nearly five years. Enjoy driving anyway so that's a bonus. I engage with the passengers wherever possible, makes the day  go a bit quicker. Take my time in the traffic, if that car wants to go in front that's fine, I'll take a timed ticket thanks very much! I don't check fares or tickets that's what Revenue are for - saves a whole load of stress!

im the same though you can still get abuse! The amount of threats ive received by people not realising the x51 doesn't stop at one stop is amusing!

P419 EJW

Quote from: BU07 LGO on March 03, 2016, 09:16:46 PM
im the same though you can still get abuse! The amount of threats ive received by people not realising the x51 doesn't stop at one stop is amusing!

Or Newtown!

BU07 LGO

Quote from: P419 EJW on March 03, 2016, 09:20:29 PM
Or Newtown!

Had one today saying he was going to kill me for not stopping at one stop haha!

P419 EJW

Quote from: BU07 LGO on March 03, 2016, 09:31:54 PM
Had one today saying he was going to kill me for not stopping at one stop haha!

Lmfao. He should have checked which bus he boarded on! But then again, who doesn't? ::)

Solo1

Have on the front sides non stop from brum to alexendt stadium on the x51 but would they still see it or have it when u board

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk