News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Former/deceased garages

Started by 2900, January 17, 2016, 10:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busfan2847

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on January 22, 2016, 08:03:13 AM
HT   Tunnel Road, HILL TOP 08/94-09/94
SV   Combined allocation of HT, WL & WO 08/94-##/##
WL   Morgan Close, WILLENHALL 08/94-09/94
WO   Oak Road, WEST BROMWICH 08/94-(present) Outstation of WB from 09/94

BN   Imex Business Pk, Shobnall Road, BURTON.O.T. 05/94-##/##

Thanks.

It certainly was an interesting time! Stevensons had expanded from a 30 vehicle local independent in 1979 to a 200+ vehicle independent by 1994. This was largely due to deregulation, and also to a lively and very active management led by Julian Peddle.  Take-overs provided much of the impetus, but, operations were also established in other ways by tendering for local authority services and looking for commercial opportunities to exploit. The companies taken over include Crystal Coaches of Newcastle-under-Lyme in September 1984, East Staffordshire District Council in October 1985 (the council acquired a 49% stake in the company), Blue Bus Services of Rugeley in October 1985, Erewash Travel of Ilkeston in October 1985 (subsequently resold to City of Nottingham Transport in November 1988), Viking Coaches and Victoria Motorways of Woodville in November 1987, Sealandair and Collett of West Bromwich in May 1991 (Sealandair/Collett/Classic was sold to Birmingham Coach Company in August 1994) and Classic of Wombourne in May 1991 following the failure of that company.  In August 1987 the company helped Midland Fox privatise and took over the buses and operations from Swadlincote garage.  The company increased its operations in the West Midlands with the opening of a Darlaston depot in October 1989.

Stevensons area of operation in 1992 included Uttoxeter, Burton and Swadlincote, the West Midlands, the Potteries, Stockport and Edinburgh.  Later on 28 September 1992 Stevensons swapped the Pacer operation in Stockport with PMT for their services in the West Midlands.  In 1993 there were plans for a joint venture with West Midlands Travel trading as Buslink (Midlands) Ltd from the old Birmingham Coach Company garage in Smethwick.  Stevensons had repainted a WMT Metrorider for the new venture but WMT pulled out, probably due to its takeover of Metrowest.  However by early 1994 relationships between WMT and Stevensons had deteriorated.  WMT had added Smiths to its fold and from 9 May 1994 opened an operation in Burton under Smiths name with 20 vehicles.  Stevensons vigorously reacted to this development with a retrenchment in the West Midlands, including closure of the Smethwick depot, to provide a reserve fleet with which to attack Smiths in Burton.  From 9 June 1994 Stevensons retaliated starting two new routes in the Wolverhampton (511, 529).  However by then Stevensons were talking to a number of companies with regard to a takeover.

British Bus took over the company on 20 June 1994.  The battle of Burton ended with the withdrawal of the final Smiths services on 10 September 1994, but before then all Stevensons services in the Black Country had passed to WMT on 14 August 1994. 

Thanks for the response on this thread very interesting stuff from the past , it's all very boring now a days.

Squiz1971

Quote from: 2900 on January 22, 2016, 05:16:30 PM
Thanks for the response on this thread very interesting stuff from the past , it's all very boring now a days.
I agree @2900 even I have learned a few things about BCT/WMPTE past garages too

BK63 YWP

Was the stourbridge garage where the mercedes place is now?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

busfan2847

Quote from: Chris on January 22, 2016, 07:19:04 PM
Was the stourbridge garage where the mercedes place is now?

Yes. Buses in service used to enter from High St and leave into Foster St.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: 2900 on January 22, 2016, 05:16:30 PM

Agreed always good to read some insight and nuggets apart from which bus was used on a route.

iansdavies

hello can  you tell me if im correct when sheepcote street garage closed in november 1975 did lea hall bus garage took over the 163 169 193 195 midland red routes for about 12 months leading up to the introduction of the 97 98 and 99 in november 1976

busfan2847

Quote from: iansdavies on May 01, 2016, 01:26:59 PM
hello can  you tell me if im correct when sheepcote street garage closed in november 1975 did lea hall bus garage took over the 163 169 193 195 midland red routes for about 12 months leading up to the introduction of the 97 98 and 99 in november 1976
Sheepcote St closed 16th November 1975, the same day as Moseley Rd for the second time. The ex Midland Red routes, from those garages, passed to other South Division garages.

JoNi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36148788
Found this link to ten deceased shops that existed in 1976. A bit of nostalgia for older members.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: iansdavies on May 01, 2016, 01:26:59 PM

The answer is yes, at least for the 163, 169 and 193.  Sutton garage also had a minority share on these routes, which I think continued until Nov 1976.  I believe Sutton also ran on the 195 - not sure if Lea Hall did as well.

The 97 was initially operated by Coventry Road.  Were the 98 and 99 both joint Lea Hall/Sutton?  I recall seeing Lea Hall Fleetlines on the 98 and a Sutton one on the 99, but not the other way round.

midlandred2003

When I was at lea hall 1978-81 the 98&99 was all worked by them.

cheshire exile

Only recently have I read this thread. So interesting. I am originally from Stourbridge and have many memories of the old SE Midland Red depot where I regularly caught the S53 Norton or S54 Iverley service with my mother. The regulars were MR FEDD dds but there was a time when Bromsgrove worked the S53 and 54 as fill ins between 318 journeys. Before the garage was rebuilt ( early 1950s?? ) there was a steep slope down to Foster Street and buses were regularly parked on stand with chocks underneath the front wheels. Then there was the rarities, X95 Stafford working on Sundays and the Bank Holiday X32 Bewdley and X33 Stourport when buses from all over the MR Empire were drafted in. I remember X33s passing our house at Norton five or six at a time with Shrewsbury, Wellington, Stafford allocations.

I could reminisce for hours but will spare you all.

A thought on BCT former depots. Someone mentioned Rosebery Street earlier but was there a depot at Highgate Road that worked the Inner Circle and possibly other routes? I have no proof but a vague memory from passing it on an 8. Anyone help me with this?

Tony

Quote from: cheshire exile on May 02, 2016, 02:42:12 PM

A thought on BCT former depots. Someone mentioned Rosebery Street earlier but was there a depot at Highgate Road that worked the Inner Circle and possibly other routes? I have no proof but a vague memory from passing it on an 8. Anyone help me with this?

It is still there, now converted to one of those Asian Wedding venues.

MW

Quote from: Tony on May 02, 2016, 03:05:12 PM
It is still there, now converted to one of those Asian Wedding venues.

Is that CSN? Near the Highgate Road/Ladypool Road junction?

Justin Tyme

It's the old building next door to CSN, on the corner of Queen Street.  It still has the Birmingham coat of arms on the front, near the roof.

Originally Highgate Road was a tram depot, operating the Stratford Road, Stoney Lane and Warwick Road routes.  After the trams were replaced by buses in 1937, it became a bus garage and did indeed have a share of the Inner Circle.  It closed in 1962.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk